more questions.....please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more questions.....please..

After reading everyones threads & stories about there surgerys Im wondering if when you have a double curve -vs- a single "C" curve, you lose more inches as it progresses...and/or gain more height after the surgery. This seems to be a hot topic these days...lol...or maybe its just my own hot topic?! Im trying to make sense of it......the"s" curve is more like an acordian...un scrucnh it and it gets taller....lol....Im talking crazy now! Seriously though.....is there any truth to my logic/theory?

ps-tomorrow will be one month til my surgery date....OMG!!!
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Hi Lynn,

I would guess that having 2 or more curves makes you lose inches faster than having only one. Who knows though. All I know is that I'm the tallest I've ever been in my life now--a whole 5'3.5" and proud of it. I've often wondered if I didn't have scoliosis how tall I would have been. Probably another 2 inches.....sigh....but that's ok I'm happy where I am now.

Before you know it your date will be here! The last month seemed to go the quickest.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lynn: I think a double major curve would cause more height loss. Most of my curve was in my lumbar spine and that’s where my 2˝” height loss occurred as my ribs settled on my pelvis and I lost my waistline. I’ve regained some of that loss but I’ll never have the waistline I had when I was younger.

Debbe: Ask your husband to measure your arm span from fingertip to fingertip. In most instances, your arm span equals your height. My arm span is 68 inches. The tallest I have ever been though is 5’6˝” and I can assume my curved spine kept me from reaching 5’8”. Both my sisters reached 5’8”. They’ve both lost an inch in height though just from normal aging.

Comment

That is so interesting. I peaked at just over 5'5" and now am barely 5'4". My arm span is 66" I have an S curve. I am really curious to get my curve measured again at the doc in January.
        35 years old. Boston braced from age 11-16. S curve 37* thoracic, 29* lumbar. Right arm, right sided thorax pain.

Comment

Working...
        X