Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

January, February, March 2009 surgeries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January, February, March 2009 surgeries...

Time to start our next bunch-- December is almost half over, and recently I've noticed a few people posting about upcoming surgeries in early 2009. If you are having surgery, it's good to post it on the official calendar site. Some of us like to see them all lumped together, so we've been doing a thread like this for awhile. Add your posts or send me a PM if you have surgery info.

If you need help using the calendar, I explained it in this post: If you still have questions, send me a PM.
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...6&postcount=11

Post any other surgeries here, or PM me with the info.

JANUARY
    14th - LynnMarie74 - A/P
    20th - Peachy - A/P, T4 to S1 w/ Dr. Boachie @ HSS, New York City

FEBRUARY
    5th - bbest (Brandi) - posterior fusion L2-L4, osteotomy @L3, and rod removal and reinstrumentation w/ Dr. Lauerman @ Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC.
    10th - theizzard (Avis) - 1st of 2 part A/P surgeries, T3 or 4 - pelvis w/ Dr. Rand, Boston
    10th - csbaby (Christy) - revision: hardware removal and replacement, T1-S1
    18th - theizzard (Avis) - 2nd of 2 part A/P surgeries (see Feb. 10th)
    24th - Brooklyn - revision: hardware removal w/Dr. Matt Cunningham @ HSS
    26th - chello_ns - fusion surgery T4-L5, in Calgary, Alberta

MARCH
    3rd - JenniferG - T5-S1 w/Dr. Askin @ Mater Private, Brisbane, Australia
    9th - Beckymk's DD (age 14) - posterior, upper T - lower L @ Shriner's in Chicago
    16th - nervous - T4-T12 w/ Dr. Hurford, Urbana, IL
    16th - doodie (Julie) - posterior w/ Dr. Khaled Kabaish @Johns Hopkins Hospital at 7:30 (1st part of 2 (A/P) surgeries)
    25th - jesscv - fusion surgery
    25th - smollick- L4 L5 fused w/ instrumentation.
    30th - Doodles (Janet) - posterior (hopefully just posterior) T3-pelvis w/ Dr. Lenke in St. Louis
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 03-28-2009, 08:31 AM. Reason: Adding on...
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

A cold shiver ran through me when I saw this...For a long time it's seemed a long way off, but now I'm in the next "bunch"!

My surgery, as per my signature, is March 10 in Brisbane Australia, same surgeon as Discombobulated. Looking forward to hearing her thoughts on Dr. Askin.

As terrified as I am about the surgery, I really just want it over now. I think I can cope with whatever recovery throws at me, (she says with crossed fingers) but the surgery I am scared ridgid about and just want it over.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks, Jennifer...

Welcome to the next "batch"-- I know how hard this waiting is-- been there, done that. But you've been doing so well with all your posts, so you've got a good start. Enjoy your next few months, and before you know it you'll be on the "other side", joining the ranks of so many of us post-op scolis.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Thanks Susie, I can't wait to be on the other side.

Being on this forum, I've learned so much that I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm so grateful for the knowledge that's been passed on.
        Last edited by JenniferG; 12-12-2008, 10:50 PM. Reason: mispelled a word

Comment

Any others?

Are there any other surgeries coming up??? Is LynnMarie the only January one? I went to the official calendar and it doesn't show anyone.

LynnMarie-- I'm sure thinking of you as your date approaches. You'll be on the other side before you know it! I'll be praying for you.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
            Are there any other surgeries coming up??? Is LynnMarie the only January one? I went to the official calendar and it doesn't show anyone.

LynnMarie-- I'm sure thinking of you as your date approaches. You'll be on the other side before you know it! I'll be praying for you.
            Susie*Bee---thanks for the kind words & prayers.....I need them! Ive been having a hard time these last few days...crying....thinking the worse. I guess Im glass is 1/2 empty type of girl. Im trying to stay postive & enjoy these last few days with my kids, having fun etc...but I always end up thinking about the dumb surgery! lol Again, thanks for the caring words!
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

LM-- Almost everyone goes through the emotional quagmire prior to surgery... so I hope you realize you're not alone in looking at the glass half full. There's a fine line between knowing what CAN happen (which I consider being informed) and getting stuck there and unable to get back out from that gloom and doom. I certainly had my papers and all "in order", wrote letters to my grown kids, said good-bye to my hubby as they wheeled me off, etc., before my surgery. However, I also had complete trust and peace that regardless of the outcome, all would be ok, as the Lord is in charge. Still, that doesn't erase those possibilities... and that can cause some sadness if we dwell there for very long. No point in going there if you can help it. Be prepared and knowledgeable, but hope for the best. As you progress post-op, be patient with yourself and be happy with all the little victories and milestones you reach.

You are going to be walloped by the surgery, so live life to its fullest right now. Enjoy your family to the max and look forward to that new, stronger and straighter mother and wife you will be after your recovery. Children are resilient and they will adjust after a bit to your post-op limitations and weaker self, but they may not at first. Don't try to do more than your doctor or common sense dictate when you get home. Look forward to lots of special quiet times sharing books and movies and maybe playing card and board games (short ones!) after you feel up to it. You'll get your life back after awhile, and you'll be so much stronger for the journey you'll have traveled, both mentally and emotionally. You'll do great!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Thanks Susie! I appreciate it! Going to go play the Wii with my 4 year old now! He always wins!! Grrr! lol
                Lynn -30.... something
                DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                UW Madison, WI Hospital
                **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Lynn-Marie,

Pre-op is most definitely a rollercoaster - & it is so easy to get caught up in the "worst case scenario" thoughts. Heck, what am I saying? - it's hard not to get caught up in the Scary Stuff! But, I really hope you're able to enjoy some quality time with your family & having fun before surgery - it does wonders for keeping your mind off the worries & building a more positive frame of mind.

Like everyone here, I'll be thinking much of you on the day of your surgery, & wishing you the very, very best outcome & smooth recovery.

I'll look forward to reading about your progress on "the recovery side", once you're feeling up to it

Take care. And enjoy that Wii - they always sound like great fun

Comment

wow- the next batch- that does have a "ring" to it. Susie- It is so wonderful you keep us updated on this. Lynn- you will be in special prayer leading up to and including your surgery date (and after!). The last few days are absolutely so hard emotionally but you will get thru them. Susie's advice (as always) is great- use your common sense on getting things in order and then you can relax and count on waking up here yet! It sure helped me knowing "either way" I had done what I could.
                    Jennifer- I spent last summer knowing from June to Oct. I would have the surgery. I chose October for a reason. I wanted to enjoy every bit of summer that I could. We love the lake and though my husband is self employed and works long hours, we bought a motor home, boat and jet ski and spent as much time as possible at the lake. During my surgeries and recovery I have often thought of the special times we had and was so glad we did what we did (he sold them all while I was having surgeries- little nervous about the economy- just an aside!) Any way- the point is to cherish the time you have and remember why you are having the surgery (mine was pain with no hope of improvement- only down hill). You will make it thru!
                    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                    Age 54
                    T10 to Sacrum
                    Curve 65 degrees
                    Very straight now!!!

Comment

Thanks Nancy. I am grateful for every understanding, kind word I receive.

Believe me, I have a new appreciation for every single day. My partner has planned a two week holiday mid Feb in a Southern State. It will be cooler, and we are taking our kayak and intend getting on the water every chance we get, something we both love. We will also visit family while we are there, including my elder daughter, who I've seen very little of over recent years because of her travelling. So it will be nice, and it will be a distraction.

I've been following your and others' surgeries closely and have learned so much, which helps. It's the unknown that's scary. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

All the very best!

Comment

Hi Susie

I'm scheduled for (gulp) January 20. I tried putting myself on the calendar a few weeks ago, but see it isn't there. I just re-posted, and it says I have to wait to be approved, so maybe it will "stick" this time.

My surgery will be A/P, T-4 to S-1 all in one day with Dr. Boachie.

Hubby and I leave for N.Y. Jan. 13, as I have the rest of the week filled with tests and other doctor visits for pre-op. After all my turmoil over pre-payments, and the fear that I might not be able to have the surgery now, or at all with this doctor, I have just been so relieved to now be able to go ahead, that I haven't yet reached that state of fear and panic that I kind of expected. Just as others, I don't know where I would be without the kind and caring people on this forum.

Peachy

Comment

All the very best Peachy. I look forward to hearing you're doing great, after surgery. Is there someone who can place a post on the board to keep us up to date? (Though this is probably the last thing you're thinking about right now!)

Comment

Yay, Peachy-- I'm excited for you that it's finally going to happen! And I'll echo Jennifer's question about whether you have a forum contact person. If you don't, then put me on the list of ones who can help. I'd be glad to-- although I work during the day. We are in the same time zone, so that helps. You're almost there! Hugs, Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie & Jennifer,

I spoke to Peachy this morning and I will be her contact. I'm hoping to be able to meet up with them this week prior to the surgery too. The poor things are going to freeze in our frigid weather the end of this week.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X