Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy stitches!!!

Hey everyone!

I had a spinal fusion at the L2-3 last week. They closed it with desolving stitches and then the surface with that glue stuff. The last few days my back has gotten SOOOOO itchy it's driving me crazy! Does anyone have any advice? I know I can't scratch it, so I have my husband when he changes the dressing scratch lightly just where the tape is, but that only lasts a second.

The surgery went well, though I got sooo sick from the pain killers when i was at the hospital. Once I finally got home I decided to take half the dose and i immediately got better.

Other than that, my surgery and recovery has gone really well. The dr's found that my nerve was completely red and swollen and being pushed on by scar tissue and herniated portions of my shot disc. They removed the entire disc, and secured it with a newer method, a tiny little piece of metal called the aspen. My pain is already less, but the dr thinks it'll be at least 6 months before my leg pain is gone. I'm excited to go to my 2 week follow up next thursday and see the xrays.

I went with the single level fusion since my scoliosis hadn't gotten any worse in the last few years, and it wasn't directly causing my pain. My dr said we need to watch and see, and i may need the whole surgery sometime in my life, but it could have caused me more problems than it solved. So we'll see!

If anyone is looking for a good adult scoli surgeon in Orlando, I have seen all of the surgeons in Orlando, and found the only and best one. Dr. Joseph Flynn Jr. is amazing. Their office runs a bit slow, but he is caring, knows what he's talking about, and takes the time to really try to help you.

Anyway, if anyone can help with the itching that'd be awesome!
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
    Before and After X-rays
    My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

From One Peach to Another...

Hi Peachrush,

I'm so glad your surgery went well and you're back home now! How great to have it over with!

Some people are allergic to the liquid adhesives used after surgical procedures, so this might be what is causing your itching. It could be Benzoin or possibly Mastisol. You might want to call your doctor and ask if one of these was used on you. It shouldn't cause anything worse than itching and more redness along your incision, but before the itching becomes too maddening, maybe they can give you something to help stop it.

Best Wishes,
    Peachy

Comment

My stitches itched like crazy for about 3 weeks, and then started to get better slowly. Now at almost 8 weeks post op, they don't itch at all any more.

Good luck!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

thanks for the help, i'll ask my dr on thursday when i'm there!
        Rebecca
        Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
        wore night bending brace as teenager
        Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
        herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
        fusion L2-3 November 2008
        Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
        Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
        Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
        gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
        Before and After X-rays
        My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Peachrush7,
          Glad to hear you made it through the surgery OK. Have you tried cortisone cream for the itchy area? My trunk was completely covered with a rash after my posterior surgery. My Doctor thought the rash was a reaction to one of the antibiotics I was given during the surgery. The nurses slathered on the cortisone cream every day including when I was in rehab. At home, I used the cortisone cream and also tried benedril at bedtime. It did help somewhat. It took well over a month for my rash to completely disappear. The itchyness lasted until Springtime. My scar on my back is itchy again this winter from the dry air. There are anti-itch lotions available at the Drug store also, which might be worth a try. I hope the itch goes away soon and I am glad you found a good Doctor in the Orlando area to do your surgery. Take care, Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
          X