Egypt 2 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egypt 2 days

Hi guys well I am just over 6 months post op and off to Egypt on Monday which is a 5 1/2 hr flight two things im worried about.

One: Setting the alaims off
    Two: The plane and not havine enough leg room and weather I will get pain from being sat down although I know I can get up and walk around.

Other then that I am ok I cant believe it has been 6 months already seems like last week to me...I have finally got no pain so I think my surgeon was right and it was just everything settling after the op, and I will hopefully not have to have them removed due to pain everything is finally working out ok and I cant believe it, i thought the pain would never end, I am of course taking my meds with me as this is really the first trip I have done although I went wales in July which was a 5 hr drive stopping every hour or so for me, and that was a bit painful but not to bad till I got back and the walking caught up with me lol..

Anyway this is a long post I am just sooooo excited and HAPPY

Angela
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Have a wonderful time, and tell us about it afterwards! Do you have a note from your doctors for the airline? I was thinking about that yesterday after my appt--they didn't give me a note. Of course I have no trips planned for the future, so it doesn't matter!!

Have FUN, you deserve it.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I have a card from my doctors that says my rods may set off the alarms, but they never have ibthe 25 yers they've been in, so I would not worry about that.

You're airplane ride should be ok, I won't say it won't be without bumps, but it should be ok. You could try talking to the check in people if you can get those seats right behind first class, they usually have a bit more leg room. Just explain you had surgery a few months back and you need some leg room, and an area you can stand up straight without blocking the aisle. It may, or may not work.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!
      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
      Still have 57 degree curve
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
      Preop xray (with brace on)
      Postop xray

Comment

Angela-- I'm so glad you can go on this trip! And my doctor said that cards/letters about hardware aren't worth anything. You'll be fine. Just explain about your hardware if you set things off-- we have the scars to prove it all, if need be. Some people trigger the alarms and some people don't.

I'm flying in about 2 weeks, so I'l see how that goes, but I think I should be fine. When I flew a little over a year ago it went fine.

I'm still wanting a nice picture of you sometime-- maybe from this trip.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

On my first airline flight after my long fusion surgery, I set the alarms off and they pulled me to the side where a woman ran the "wand" up and down my back. I explained what I had and pulled up my shirt a little so she could see the scar. "Oh!" And that was the end of that! I did extensive travel after that and never set the alarms off again. I think it depends on how sensitive the scanners are.
          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies I haevnt been on thats why I dint reply before been busy packing and remembering last minute things....

I have a note from my doc saying what op I have had it doesnt say I have rods in my back, it is mainly because I am still carrying all my meds and they have listed that just in case my suitcase gets pulled to oneside because of everything in it I have a note saying why.

I am wearing nothing with metal on so if the alaims do go off the only thing that could have done it is my rods...
            I will try and get a pic to you from the holiday...one of me in a skirt for a change lol i never wear skirts but it will be hot there so I think I might
            Wont send one of me in bikini lol if I wear one I am still catious about the scar because it is red still, I dont mind the ones on my stomach becayse they have faded but still worry mainly of people who dnt like scars not nice for them to see it.
            Angela, 25 England.
            May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

One time in Chicago I had this security lady wanding me and it just seemed to keep beeping whenever she wanded my crotch area. She was staring at my belt buckle and she said "take it off". So without any hesitation, I reached and said "take it off? no problemo"
              She then panically said "No wait" as if I was going to drop my drawers if front of everyone. 'you almost made my day" About 500 people in line started laughing. I almost missed my connecting flight. Its always something.

That was before I had any hardware. The big bolts in my pelvis will definitly trigger the wands down low. Im sure to have some 'critical moments" LOL at security here in the future. Im going to have a ton of fun with this.

Careful running around down there with exposed skin. Sheik Yerbouti dont like it.

Jam a down pillow in your carry on bag.

Have fun
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Angela
                not sure if you'll see this message before you go - but if you do have a GREAT holiday. You SOOOO deserve it.
                Yeah, might be a good idea to be real careful with your scar but hey you might as well get those legs out lol! btw how hot is it at the moment in Egypt - hotter than the UK i guess!
                I am sure you will sail through customs no problems but if not I am sure showing even a little of your scar will put things right.
                Have a great time - and back just in time for Christmas - you must be well organised.
                Take care and ENJOY!
                Louisse
                x
                Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Not long left now parents have said we have to start out at about 4.15am in order to get to airport book car in etc etc, and want to get to check in as soon as it is open for our flight just in case I have probs....

This time tomorrow I will be in Egypt nearly anyway...5.30pm there time we land which is 3.30pm UK time, I think it will be dark by that time there I know it gets dark early sometimes it is said on some websites by 4.30.....

Anyway if I dont post again talk to you all in a week whne I might have a tan aswell, and I know I am not walking around the towns showing off to much skin I know they dont like I know they cant do anything about it but I wont want to upset anyway, at the Hotel it is fine, im not one for showing off my body anyway lol I like to stay covered....

Angela
                  xxx

YAY Few hours left in England
                  Angela, 25 England.

Comment

Working...
                  X