Good news at my 7 week post-op checkup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news at my 7 week post-op checkup

I guess I've been a little nervous the last few days, but had good news today. My curves were originally both 66 degrees. The top is now 35, and the bottom is now 30. My incision looks 'incredible', aparently. LOL He asked the NP to check if they had a plastic surgeon close up, but I don't think it was--just some really talented regular Dr. on his team.

ALL restrictions are lifted. I can use the treadmill. YEAH!!! I will start PT 3x per week to learn what kind of exercises I can do, and then I can do at home. . I need some stretching of my left shoulder because I've got some tight muscle spots under there that have been painful. I am permitted to drive. He said that it is legal to drive on pain meds as long as I don't feel sedated, which I don't. I will start easy. I'm not working, so it won't be much at all.

My husband asked if there was 'anything' I couldn't do (wink-wink) and Dr. N said if he was referring to 'relations' (which he was), that was fine too. He said that he promised my husband wouldn't hurt me. BWHAAAHAAAAHAA I will go back in 3 more months for more Xrays.

Then we went to see the Christmas Tree at Rockerfeller Center. With all the Christmas hub-bub in NYC, I started to get a little emotional walking around. Who knew, 6 months ago when I was all flipped out over this, that after only 7 weeks I'd be doing so well. My husband walked me into a jewelers and bought me a REALLY nice piece for Christmas that I've been wanting for a while now. It will always have special memories from this time. We had a nice lunch, walked to the train station (I needed to get my walking in today) and then took the train home. I layed down for an hour, but feel much better now. I guess I wasn't as exhausted as I thought I was!

Once I can get some pictures off my husband's cell phone, I'll post the Xrays. I am very happy. I think my parents will probably leave for home this weekend. They've been here for almost 2 months!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Oh almost forgot--

I've got 3 hooks in the thorasic area, and screws elsewhere. I was a little surprised about the hooks. Is there more of a problem with them coming un-done afterwards?

Comment

Yay!

Debbe-- that's all such great news! I'm so glad it all has gone so well for you. Your parents have been great to be there helping out for so long, but it will probably feel good to be back on your own again, with your own privacy and space, if you know what I mean. Just pace yourself and prioritize as needed. Thanks for sharing!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Debbe,
        Glad things are going so well for you. I have several hooks in the thoracic region, eight I believe. My understanding is they used the hooks on me because of the size of the vertebrae in that area. I could be wrong mind you. And so far my hooks are hanging on just fine. Stay strong and keep doing well.
        Geish
        Geish
        47 years old, dx at 13
        +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
        Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Wonderful news, Debbe. And so nice to hear another success story.

May all of us on *this* side of surgery have such a great recovery!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for sharing your good news, Debbe, and congratulations. I also have hooks in my thoracic vertebrae (similar to Geish’s) and I’m going to ask my doctor when I see him next month why he used hooks in place of screws. I’ve been in touch with a 62-year-old woman who had surgery by Dr. Bridwell 18 months ago and he too used hooks in her thoracic vertebrae. And while he stated that screws are the preferred choice, her thoracic vertebrae were just too small to withhold them. I suspect that’s why hooks were used on me as well. Chris

Comment

OH Debbe... i'm so glad for you that all is going so well. You should be very proud of your strength and effort. Won't it be great to return to your normal routines and life without pain? Best wishes to you and your family!

Comment

Congrats Debbei, I am so happy that you are doing so well. In spite of being so terrified before the surgery, it is your courage and the grace of God that got you through it. Three cheers for you! Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Oh, Debbe, what a beautiful report! I'm so happy for you!

What a fantastic day you had! A trip to the "city" during Christmas season, an excellent report from your doctor, and then a stop at a jewelry store for a new bauble! Could it get any better?!!

I'm going to show your note to my husband in hope that he'll get an idea for a little "shopping" while we're up there.

Hugs to you,
                  Anne

Comment

Anne,

Yes pelase show your hubby. LOL Mine always gave me a big jewelry gift after the birth of each child. I think this fusion surgery definely qualifies as another bauble-giving opportunity.

Let me know how things are going with you when you have a chance, and Merry Christmas to you and your hubby.

Comment

YAY for you, Debbe!

I'm so glad you're doing fantastically. Best wishes for your continuing recovery - & yes, getting through a Big surgery definitely deserves Big reward

Happy Christmas/other Holiday to all

Comment

Trying to add pics, lets see if I can figure it out!

I like the one hubby snapped of Dr. N measuring the new films.

Comment

Debbe- thanks so much for sharing the pics-- they speak loudly of the success of your surgery, if you know what I mean. That should impress those looking from the other side of the surgery. You are so much straighter than before. Hooray!
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations, Debbe. That was quite the trip to NYC! And it's nice to put a face to the name. You look happy!

We've been working in PT on my shoulder muscle knots also, although it's the right shoulder in my case. I was getting a massage once a week , and that really helped. Unfortunately, that's gone by the wayside because of the deteriorating economic conditions at my house!
                            FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                            10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                            8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                            5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                            2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                            3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

excellent news

Hey Debbe! Im so glad all is going good in your neck of the woods! Thanks for the pics! I cant wait to be "on the other side" as well. Wont be long at all!!
                              Lynn -30.... something
                              DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                              At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                              At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                              Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                              UW Madison, WI Hospital
                              **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Working...
                              X