New to this site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this site

Hello, I am 44 years old and have a 56 degree idiopathic scoliosis. I have been in a lot of pain for about the last three years. I have always been told by the docs I have seen that scoliosis does not cause pain and that there is nothing they can do for me. I finally saw a spine surgeon who gave me flexiril and neurontin. this helps me get through the nights. I got a new family physician who prescribed darvocet N100 and cymbaltic. The cymbaltic gave me anixety and I quit taking it. Surgery is not an option for me because I have no medical insurance. Is anyone out there on disability for the sole diagnosis of idiopathic scoliosis. I am working but it is only a matter of time before I can no longer work due to drug induced fog and the pain is massive. I have recently been told that the older I get the worse I will become. I am a little devistated about this news. I have always been told this would be okay and not get any worse once I quite growing!!!! Now what!!!

Hi.

I am sorry about your increasing pain.

In re this issue of pain and scoliosis, I'm going ask a question...

For all people who have scoliosis and have pain... and the surgeon tells you the scoliosis isn't causing it, don't you then immediately ask what is causing the pain then? For some reason, the testimonials I've read never include this part.

I assume it's going to be some sort of disc problem or impinged nerve or something that can presumably be fixed surgically, yes?

I mean unless the surgeon thinks you are lying about pain, and I certainly hope no surgeon ever thinks that, the conversation doesn't ever really end right there, does it?

That is, I think we can accept that there is some reason surgeons say this and STILL expect to get relief, either surgically or otherwise. It should not be a conversation stopper.

Call me crazy.

ETA: I don't know what to tell you about the insurance. There has got to be some way for folks to get needed surgery who don't have insurance. At least I hope so.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

cbo

It sounds like you are losing hope. There has to be something you can do. Maybe you could take a little time to talk to some people and figure out your options. When you are a strong independent person, its hard to ask for help when you really need it.

There has to be some way to get the relief that you need. I'm sorry that I can't give you specific suggestions. You'll have to consider who you can trust to help you. It may turn out to be a stranger.

Best wishes.
      p

Comment

Originally posted by cbo1 View Post
        Surgery is not an option for me because I have no medical insurance.
        I believe Dr. Neuwirth brought this up is his book and offered some advice. Anyone recall?

Comment

Pooka1 thanks for your reply and not that was not the end of the conversation. He gave me pain killers and said that he would not know exactly was causeing the pain unless he did an MRI. I cannot afford to have an MRI so I took the pain meds and sought another opinion.
          Chris I will check out the book of Dr. Neuwirth. Thanks and I will always have hope.

Comment

Working...
          X