I want to do something!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to do something!!!!

HI, I am 41 years old, and I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 13. I do not know what my curvature was or is now, though after reading all these messages, I relize I need to have it checked. I do know that I was put in a brace immediately after the diagnosis, and it did not get better or worse after that, and I did not have surgery, though I probably should have. Anyway, this message is not about me.

Because of my experience, I have DILIGENTLY examined my two girls constantly,and last saturday noticed my 6 year old's back was beginning to curve. I took her to her pediatrician on Tuesday, and indeed she has scoliosis . The Xray technician has her at 12 degrees, but the orthopedist that I saw today says it looks more like only 8 degrees, so lets just say 10 degrees.

Here's the thing, he says we are to do NOTHING, but watch it until it gets to 20 degrees. I was so careful to watch for this, and now I am just supposed to sit back and watch my daughter's back continue to curve before we attempt to do anything.

There has to be something (besides excercises) that I can do to keep her back as straight and pretty as it is now. I feel I have an edge on this thing, catching it so early, I don't want to lose it. HELP!!!!

Hi and welcome to the list.

I can certainly understand your fear and concern for your daughter. She is very young to be having any measurable scoliosis. However, most orthos do not recommend "doing" anything (bracing or otherwise) until the curves are more significant. I'm not sure I understand their reason for this, or the scientific data that show the benefits -vs- the risks of not bracing early on.

Also, remember that there is always a margin of error (+/- 5 degrees) when even the same doc measures the xray. That means they scientifically can say that a less than 10 degree curve is basically a non-curve (medical jargon-ing).

I would definately have her examined every 6 months to keep an eye on her back. At the first sign of progression, discuss what options she has with the orthopedist. Make sure you are seeing a pediatric orthopedist who has extensive experience in spine abnormalities. Having 100% confidence in the surgeon is the most important part of this entire waiting game.

Waiting is very hard, but in most cases, scoliosis is not a one-time fix. It is a "condition" a patient lives with, and adjusts to, for the rest of their life. It does NOT mean life has to stand still while you are waiting. Having two children with very different types of scoliosis means that much of my life centers around some type of appt or scheduling for treatment (i.e., surgery). But, this does not mean my life has to be altered because of it. My children are very active, healthy and functional children. Scoliosis is just an inconvenience to them, for the most part. Even my 8yr old's semi-annual rod expansion surgeries are more of an excuse to get out of school for a week or two than the reality of having major surgery twice a year.

You are right that being active and doing a lot of back exercises will be the best thing to keep her body/trunk supporting her spine. I have a list of exercises to do (the list was made for infants, but can easily be modified for older children) if you are interested in the exercises that were recommended to us for those long back muscles to be strengthened. Does she like to dance? Dancing is a great way to keep in shape. I'm assuming by your post that her scoliosis is idiopathic (no bone abnormalities). That is good. Also, having a very flexible spine is good. You may get very different readings from different docs doing the measurement because she is flexible. She may even have different readings earlier in the day compared to later in the day.

I wish you the best. I look forward to hearing your updates.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

let me just say...........

Okay--my mother is the one who noticed my scoliosis and kyphosis. She was constantly yelling at me to stay straight up. That has nothing to do with it. Its in your bone structure. It's going to be hard to just sit and wait--but just pray that it won't get worse--and if it does, its not the end of the world. She'll learn to cope with it. Just be thankful she doesn't have cancer, or a tumor or anything terminal.

Comment

Hi,

I was also diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 13 - I am now 43. I have managed my pain very well with regular chiropractic spinal manipulations since the age of 13. When I was younger, my chiropractor thought I would have trouble going through prenancy, but with his help and treatment I was able to carry my daughter to full term and delivery with no problem. My daughter also has scoliosis, although not as bad as mine. She is now 19 and maintains very active in sports (soccer, volleyball, flag football, swimming, etc.) with regular chiropractic adjustments.

I would suggest that you have a good chiropractor take a look at your daughter's back. He/she may be able to work with her while she is still growing to keep her back as healthy as possible.

Good luck,
        Candy

Comment

Hi!
          I feel your concern and hope everything turns out for the best. I have read in lots of places that a curve under 10 degrees is considered to be a natural difference of the spine and that is not considered scoliosis, if that is any consellation. Just keep checking her and you will be able to treat it before it gets too bad.... Good luck!
          *~*cArLy*~*

Comment

hello....I learned that I had scoliosis at the age of 13. I am now 35 and I never had surgery. At the age of 13 my cure was 44 degrees. I think that it is 64 now. I have learned that yoga and massage therapy has been a big help. It is unfortunate that I was already grown at this point, because I really feel that both of these things make a big difference. I highly suggest looking at these two options while your daughter is still growing. Cyn

Comment

Working...
            X