do you go for massages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you go for massages?

Just wondered if any of you go for massages, if yes, what kind and how do you cope with the psychological aspect of it all (our condition might escape some eyes on a beach or even in intimacy but certainly won't under the hands of a masseur/masseuse).

I'd like to go for massages, but my wife doesn't like that, but she gives me massages. It does help me out.

As for the psychological aspect... Before I met my wife I went to get massages once in a while, and I never had a problem with it. These people are professionals and a little curve or scar is not going to bother them.

If you need to get a massage, go get one and dont worry about anything other than getting a good masseuse that does a great job.
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
      These people are professionals and a little curve or scar is not going to bother them.

If you need to get a massage, go get one and dont worry about anything other than getting a good masseuse that does a great job.
      Hey, you didn't say much, just plain common sense, but that's a great motivational and inspirational reply, really! Well said, thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
        Hey, you didn't say much, just plain common sense, but that's a great motivational and inspirational reply, really! Well said, thank you very much!
        Well if you prefer I could write a number of paragraphs saying the same thing. But I'm glad I could help.

The only thing a masseuse might ask is if there is anything they should be careful of, but that is a completely normal question, even for people without our issues.
        Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
        Still have 57 degree curve
        2 Harrington rods
        Luque method used
        Dr David Bradford
        Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
        Preop xray (with brace on)
        Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
          Just wondered if any of you go for massages, if yes, what kind and how do you cope with the psychological aspect of it all (our condition might escape some eyes on a beach or even in intimacy but certainly won't under the hands of a masseur/masseuse).
          Why would there be a "psychological aspect" of a massage therapist seeing anything?

I went pre-op ... I go post op.

Pre-op, it was just a "Hey ... there are a LOT of knots. Like marbles. Don't think you're the hero who's going to work them out ...".

Post-op, the same guy say "No knots, but DAYUM, you need a massage before your massage!" (I do 90 minutes of deep tissue and myofascial release (mostly subscapular).

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Massage therapy

I occasionally get trigger point massage. My regular therapist is pretty used to me- but the poor guy that had to fill in one day was a little taken aback (Actually said "Oh- you poor thing" when he saw the knarled mess that is my lumbar area. They are usually pretty timid about low back (in my case) so it takes a few visits before they realize what they can and cannot do. I found massage therapy to be helpful for my neck and shoulders- since I compensate quite a bit. It doesn't help the curve- but it does make you feel better. Just the quiet time away from your cell phone is worth the money!

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
              Why would there be a "psychological aspect" of a massage therapist seeing anything?

I went pre-op ... I go post op.

Pre-op, it was just a "Hey ... there are a LOT of knots. Like marbles. Don't think you're the hero who's going to work them out ...".

Post-op, the same guy say "No knots, but DAYUM, you need a massage before your massage!" (I do 90 minutes of deep tissue and myofascial release (mostly subscapular).

Pam
              HI Pam,

For your massages now, do you tell them to stay away from the area where there is hardware? At what point post-surgery did you start?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

they gave me massages 3x a week for 3 months during PT.

Comment

Working...
                X