Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help

I really want to find a doctor to help my baby. I have heard about casting, and what I can find out no one here in New Mexico dose casting. Also I have looked online and have seen that Shiner Hospital dose do casting. But the only close one is in LA, would this be a good choice?

Thank you

Welcome,

The Shriners hospital nearest you that does casting is the one in Salt Lake City. They are a top facility dealing with infantile scoliosis. You don't give any details about your child, but I'm assuming they are very young/infant?

Do you know if you are dealing with idiopathic (no known cause) or congenital (at least one bone not formed correctly in the spine) scoliosis? This will make a big difference in treatment options for your little one. Another place to consider is San Antonio. There are good docs there who deal with children and scoliosis.

There are a couple of yahoo support groups for parents of young children with scoliosis. Let me know if you are interested in finding other parents who may have similar experiences.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

My baby

We did a MRI for nero, clean. She is only 14 months old. So not all shiners are the same? I would like any help. I do not really know much more of her problem other then the nero doctor saying she had a 30 degree curve, he said this is significant. See ortho dec 11th

Thank you for your help

Comment

Having a clean MRI is a good thing. That means there aren't any "hidden" problems with the spinal cord (ie, tethered cord, lipomas, syrinx, etc.).

30 degrees is probably a general measurement, coming from a neurosurgeon. Is the appointment on Dec. 11 with a PEDIATRIC ortho? If not, please get an appt with a PED. ORTHO. And no, not all Shriners are the same. It seems each specializes in their own thing. When it's YOUR child, you want to go where they specialize in what YOUR child needs. Shriners in SLC would be a great place for your daughter, IMHO. They specialize in infants/young children with scoliosis and related conditions.

It never hurts to get more than one (multiple) opinions. I would keep the appt on Dec. 11 and then make appts for at least one more, if not two more. If money is an issue (its always an issue, IMHO) there are ways to travel out of state for medical care. I have a link to some travel assistance for medical care, and also information about Ronald McDonald houses, etc. It may be difficult, but not impossible to travel out of state for care. Many on this board have done this. Our family traveled from Utah to Texas for Braydon's spine/scoliosis issues. Do-able.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks for the help

From reading about casting, They say the earlier the better. I have known here spine has been curved since she was 6 months, going to PT, that is who saw it first, I tried to no advale at 11 months to see a ortho doc, but I had not luck. At 12 month check up they gave us the gree light to see nero, since she was still not being were she should be with walking and crawling after 6 month with PT. I think I should have done some thing to help her sooner, and from my experience it takes weeks to get a appointment, so I realy want to get her help. Her PT told us what happen to a child she saw since he was a baby with a curve and at 7 yrs. had to have a bar put in his back. I do not want this.

Thank you

Comment

Cna you give me your information

Can you please put links to the websites your were talking about. Also are there questions I should ask ortho? and is 30 deg. bad?

Comment

You might find some good guidance from members of this organization:

http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/

Comment

Ahh, Writer, you beat me to the punch. That is a GREAT organization.

Poulsenjosh - Once you click on the link above, you will see at the top a tab for "links" - follow that to the link for C.A.S.T. (Casts as an Alternative Scoliosis Treatment). There are a bunch of parents in that group who are in the same situation as you - and many of their kids have had success with casting. There is also a list of doctors who perform casting (but if you can get to Salt Lake City as Carmell suggested, that does seem to be one of the best hospitals for casting).

Good luck and keep us posted.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                X