PDA

View Full Version : Redwoods trip

titaniumed
12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Hello Everyone

I just came back from camping in the Redwoods National Park in northern California. It was a much needed trip for me since Im an outdoorsy person to begin with. At 10 months post-op I was hiking approx 3-4 miles everyday and had no problems. I know I can do more however, there is quite a bit to look at out here.

Yes I crashed. I slammed over a 3 foot rock and face planted into the soft redwood needle carpeting that covers the forest floor. I thought that was it, and guess what? it wasnt. Im still here with bloody shins. Its nice to know I can handle a pretty good wipeout!!!!

You can count on me to put my fusion to the test!

I am VERY satisfied with my outcome from my surgeries. I think that even if I was in pain, I would still do the same activites Im used to.

Ed

trishthedish
12-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Oh, that looks like such fun-your pic, I mean, not the bloody shins and all. Glad you are ok from your fall. I did the same thing on a hike not long back, except mine was a slip n' fall into a stream. It's great being outside, isn't it?!

titaniumed
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah it sure is. We woke up and there was "the Hartford elk" mowing the lawn about 30 feet away. They can be a little testy, you have to be careful with body positions and eye contact!

Yes they charge!

Susie*Bee
12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Ed-- it all sounds so delightful (except the bloody shins!)... them's my old stomping grounds, but from sooooo long ago. I lived in that area for 6 years, when I went to Humboldt State University in Arcata, well known for it's natural resources programs.... (I majored in wildlife management-- ;) ) It is so gorgeous along the coast there, not to mention how impressive the redwoods and lush undergrowth are. For those of you not familiar, it's in the "temperate rainforest" climate-- receives 60-90 inches of rain/year, which is why it is what it is up there. Definitely not for those who need warm, dry weather!

I'm so glad you're doing so well! Keep us posted with your next adventure(s). :) Susie

Now that I see your added post about the elk-- we used to camp out on the beach at Prairie Creek, where the Roosevelt elk herds would congregate... no tents, just sleeping bags, and sometimes they were pretty close to us. Ah, simple youth, back in the early '70s...:rolleyes:

loves to skate
12-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi Ed,
I am so happy for you and what a beautiful place to go hiking in the woods. It has been years since we have been in those woods. Thanks for sharing the photo. One of these days I hope to share a photo of me back on my roller skates.
Sally

titaniumed
12-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Susie Bee

I saw the HSU signs and thought of you. We went to fern canyon and I just found out that they used it in the 2nd Jurrassic park film. Also the 2nd Star wars film was filmed up there. I was watching for Chewbacca, but didnt see him.

Yes, temperate forests will result in quite a bit of rain and the weather was perfect. Sunny and 65 degrees. At night it gets dark, really dark! almost pitch black due to the 350 foot canopy. Thats how I fell. Damn those cheap flashlites!

$765,000 for my surgerys
$2 for the flashlite

Its always something! LOL

debbei
12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
OMG Ed!! Leave it to you to test yourself with that wipeout! I'm glad you're ok. Sounds like your had a great time, I'm so glad. Those pictures are spectacular.