Update on Danielle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Danielle

Thank you to everyone for all their support. We are home today thank god for that. Her surgery went very well they went from T2 to L2 and she was in surgery for 8 hrs (longest 8 hrs of my life) She did not have any real complications. She did have trouble with her blood O2 but got that under control last night. She needed two units of blood during surgery and for anyone who knows my car issue will understand this comment they did not use my car crash blood LOL. It was a long week and she was in so much pain it was heart breaking, but I will say what a tough girl she did everything that was asked without complaint wow. At one point one of the Dr. was concerned with how much morphine she was using so she decided on her own to stop using not a good idea nurses and I kind of forced her to use it. Did not at any point have a fever but did and is still having trouble with BM also had severe nausea so happy the nausea stopped or should I say puking!!!! The plan was to go home today if she stopped puking, stayed off O2 and pooped well she did not poop, went all night with out O2 and went all day and night yesterday without puking then this morning her so smart mother gave her oj on and empty stomach and she puked right as the resident walked in the room she was so upset cause he said he was going to keep her one more day. The nurses and I both agreed she was good to go I could give emema if she does not poop so we called her surgeon and made a deal if she kept down breakfast and lunch she could go and she did. So happy to be home I stayed with her the whole time other then the hour a day for shower at home. Now recovery!!!!!!! I am so happy to be over the worst of this and for the record you were all right I was a reck but day of surgery was exteremly scary calm. Thanks again for helping me through this.
    Catherine
    Mom of 14 year old Danielle
    T45 degree curve Feb 2008
    T47 degree curve May 2008
    T50 degree curve Sept 2008
    Surgery Nov 24th 2008
    Ontario, Canada

I'm so happy that you guys are home now! I would say that the first 2 weeks at home are the hardest. I'm sorry they didn't use your blood--when you have time you'll have to tell us that story.

Good luck to you both.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Home Sweet Home

You are right-recovery really begins at home. You're more comfortable, people aren't poking you for blood all the time, and you can sleep for more than 2 hrs in a row! I'll bet Danielle makes leaps and bounds in her progress, now that you've got her home. Good job! =)
      Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
      Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
      Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
      www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm so glad to hear that Danielle's now resting in the comfort of home. It really is The Best place to heal!

Re. the nausea/vomiting - do you know what was causing this? Morphine & some other painkillers esp. are known for this & I'm astounded that they weren't giving her something to help! Uncontrolled vomiting after a surgery like this could, I think, be legally classed as torture!! That, and going without pain meds (or having them not work) after this. The poor thing....I'm very glad you were able to convince her to start using the PCA again!

I *think* I've said it elsewhere, but if she's still on an opioid/metoclopramide combo, the met. is known for being rather ineffective for some people. Usually, the most effective is ondansetron - although, it's not often prescribed as a first-line anti-emetic, because it's very expensive. BUT GOOD! Though - hopefully, Danielle no longer needs such info

Just think, you guys are now on the "other side" - no more waiting & worrying. I'm thrilled for you guys that the surgery went well...wishing Danielle a smooth, speedy recovery

Take care.

Comment

very graphic, thankyou
          45L/40T
          Surgery 25/1/2010
          Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

so glad that she's on the road to recovery!! It's a hard life those first couple of weeks... but then small victories each day. Take care of yourself too!

Comment

Working...
            X