When did you start driving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you start driving?

It's 6.5 weeks since surgery, and I go see Dr. Neuwirth on Thursday for the first time since surgery. (we saw the NP at about day 10 for a wound-check.) I am feeling so much better, and think maybe I could drive; however, I'm still on 5 pain pills per day. 1 long acting pill every 12 hours, and 1 short acting pill every 8 hours. This sounds like a stupid question, even to me, but do you have to be totally off pain meds to drive? I never feel doped up or woozey from the meds like I did in the beginning (but at that time I was on 14 pills per day.) I think AFTER my appt on Thursday I'll cut down to 2 short acting pills, but don't want to do that with a train and subway ride on Thursday.

I'll see what the Dr. says but I'm just curious. I'm also anxious to get permission to walk on my treadmill. Today I couldn't get out to walk because it rained all day and I was stir-crazy and bored.

I must be getting much better since I'm starting to get bored. After our appt. on Thursday we'll have lunch somewhere nice and then go see the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center. It should be fun, I hope I don't over do it and get too pooped.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Wait, I'm a little confused....I understand that after surgery you're supposed to walk, walk, walk - but you can't walk on a treadmill? uh oh, I think I'm gonna to be in trouble. I've actually been advised for several years now by both chiropractors and physical therapists to either take it really easy walking on pavement or don't do it at all (and definitely no running, due to lumbar DDD) so we got a treadmill 3 years ago and I love it. It still hurts but I use it anyway. Is it the safety issue, like you might easily lose your balance and fall or something??
    Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
    Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
    Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
    A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
    Achieved +70% Correction
    Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
    New Spine 03/19/2009
    New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Originally posted by doodie View Post
      Wait, I'm a little confused....I understand that after surgery you're supposed to walk, walk, walk - but you can't walk on a treadmill? uh oh, I think I'm gonna to be in trouble. I've actually been advised for several years now by both chiropractors and physical therapists to either take it really easy walking on pavement or don't do it at all (and definitely no running, due to lumbar DDD) so we got a treadmill 3 years ago and I love it. It still hurts but I use it anyway. Is it the safety issue, like you might easily lose your balance and fall or something??
      Julie,

I think it's a safety issue because it is an electric machine, and there is potential for falling. When I used my treadmill prior to surgery, I never ran anyway, just walked at a brisk pace. That's what I want to do now, but maybe a little slower. At my last appt. the NP said NO TREADMILL PERIOD just walk every day either outside or at a mall. I assume it's because it was right after surgery when I was a little dopey from the meds. I'm not like that any more. I just want to be able to get on my treadmill to walk as fast as I do right now outside if the weather is bad.

Comment

As long as you are on pain pills, you should NOT drive. If you get stopped, it is Driving Under the Influence. My doctor made me sign a paper saying I would not drive when taking pain medicine and that if I did, I could get arrested. It is a safety issue also. Pain medicine slows your reactions and affects your judgement. Look at the warning labels on your medicine. A car is heavy machinery!
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I was also told NO TREDMILLS walking out side and at the mall was fine. I did talk the Dr. into letting me use the eliptical (sp) machines at the gym about 4 1/2 months post op. I was going to the gym at 3 months using the tredmill and the bike and when he found out he stopped me. Also driving I had no need to drive until 3 months post op and even then if I had to drive I went without pain meds that day until I was home.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

I have always been unclear about the restrictions on driving while on pain meds. I've worked for a home hospice program for years, and have seen patients on loads of narcotics able to function perfectly well and to drive seemingly safely. For them, it's been a case-by-case basis, decided by the doctor in consultation with family. Most drugs that warn about "heavy machinery" say that you should avoid it until you know "how this medication affects you." If you've been taking it a long time, I think you know how it affects you. I have been on narcotics for back pain in the past (low doses for a long time) and I did drive after I knew that I was reacting well.

Right now I KNOW I shouldn't be driving while on these meds, and I always err on the side of caution--having others drive until I really feel well enough to go without the pain meds while driving. I don't want to be responsible for hurting someone else in an accident.

I'll give you all an update on how I'm doing later!

Love to all,
            Lisa
            Lisa MS
            age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
            Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
            Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
            Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

I didn't drive until i was about 4 or 5 weeks post op after i was off everything except for lots of tylenol. I was nervous even then and I am still nervous driving at 5 months because i can't twist and look over my shoulder for other cars, etc. I've even backed into someone (UGH!) because I couln't see their car. I have since acquired this bumper beeper device that tells me when i am getting too close to something, lol.
              aBbiE
              22 yr old F,KU college student
              Kyphoscoliosis...
              Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
              Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
              I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
              Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
              all smiles!

Comment

Originally posted by LisaMS View Post
                I have always been unclear about the restrictions on driving while on pain meds. I've worked for a home hospice program for years, and have seen patients on loads of narcotics able to function perfectly well and to drive seemingly safely. For them, it's been a case-by-case basis, decided by the doctor in consultation with family. Most drugs that warn about "heavy machinery" say that you should avoid it until you know "how this medication affects you." If you've been taking it a long time, I think you know how it affects you. I have been on narcotics for back pain in the past (low doses for a long time) and I did drive after I knew that I was reacting well.
                Lisa, THANK YOU ... some of us have NO effect from narcotics. After 4 years of pain mgmt, I learned I was unaffected (even for relief) by most.

Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Debbei,
                  I was allowed to drive after I was off all narcotics at three months post op. I wasn't supposed to walk on a treadmill, but it was extremely icy here in January (we couldn't even get out our front door), so it was the treadmill or nothing. I walked very slowly then. I wonder if it is because of the narcotics that they don't want you walking on a treadmill. Treadmills seem safer to me that icy walkways and roadways. Please ask your Dr. what the reason is and get back to us.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                    Hi Debbei,
                    I was allowed to drive after I was off all narcotics at three months post op. I wasn't supposed to walk on a treadmill, but it was extremely icy here in January (we couldn't even get out our front door), so it was the treadmill or nothing. I walked very slowly then. I wonder if it is because of the narcotics that they don't want you walking on a treadmill. Treadmills seem safer to me that icy walkways and roadways. Please ask your Dr. what the reason is and get back to us.
                    Sally
                    Hi Sally,
                    I agree with you about the safety of treadmills vs. ice, and will definitely let you guys know what Dr. N says. Today I'm cutting back to 4 pills daily, so hopefully I will be off them completely and then I can start to drive. I'm getting stir-crazy

Comment

Amen, Pam and Lisa. Tolerance to narcotics develops to varying degrees in all patients taking them, and the sedation aspect, depending on the dose and the patient, can disappear completely. Wish I could say the same about the constipation factor, but that's dose-related.

I was permitted to drive at 3 months-that's 3 months out from my first surgery and 2 months from the second. I wasn't taking narcotic pain meds at all before the surgeries, because I *could* function without them and wanted to go into the surgery completely opioid-naive, as they say in the biz. =)

Now I am down to 4 Norco daily, drive to and from work, and never feel sedated. So, Debbei, I know you'll do what your doctor tells you, but depending on your level of tolerance, I wouldn't think you'd need to be off all narcs to drive.

Let us know how you do-I am looking forward to hearing about your appt. AND your time in New York. Those of us living in the sticks are into vicarious traveling, lol.
                      Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
                      Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
                      Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
                      www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Trish & Pam,

What you're saying makes sense to me; however I want to make sure I do whatever is legal. Like I said, I never feel sedated any more. In the beginning, I was on so much, I know even my eye muscles were sedated because I was seeing kind of cross-eyed. For example, I'd see 3 things when there were only 2. I'm not like that at all any more. I think the short-acting pills (3 per day) I'm taking are like your norco but without the tylenol. Then I'm also taking one long acting pill every 12 hrs. I totally still need these for pain. Earlier this week I tried cutting the 3 down to 2 and OMG did I know it, I was in such pain.

Trish,
                        Even though we probably live about 25 miles from the city as the crow flies, it's such a hastle for us to get to the city, (and expensive to do things) so we hardly ever go. It will be a big treat for me tomorrow. Heck, without driving I'm getting so stir crazy. On colder days my parents take me to the mall to walk and that's my big excitement for the day. WHOOHOO walking with the senior citizens. I'm sure I'll be totally exhausted tomorrow. I'll fill you guys in on Friday.

Comment

Hi Debbe,

I got impatient and drove at 4 months post-op even though I was still on 12-hour Oxycontins. I had been struggling with a very weak and painful leg post-op and was desperate to regain some independence. I didn't drive on highways, only short distances, and thought I was fine. HOWEVER, once I got completely off the drugs, at over 7 months post-op, I noticed a big difference behind the wheel. I thought I was perfectly clear, but I wasn't. I consider myself lucky that nothing happened.

I think one of the biggest challenges of this recovery is that it requires huge reserves of patience. At 18 months (almost) post-op, I'm STILL recovering!
                          Chris
                          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Debbe

This is what happens when you do drugs on a treadmill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2nlj8l5eXA

I dont need to explain about driving on drugs.

both are bad.

Your doing good, hang in there, it only gets better.
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

When did I start driving? When I was 16, lo those many years ago. But considering I was 4 years post-op at that point I think I was safe.

Brad
                              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                              Still have 57 degree curve
                              2 Harrington rods
                              Luque method used
                              Dr David Bradford
                              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                              Preop xray (with brace on)
                              Postop xray

Comment

Working...
                              X