help! 47 days to go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! 47 days to go...

47 days left to go til my surgery day, but eh, who's counting?! ha ha.....Im already really starting to get anxious...I find myself thinking from time to time "well, this the last time I will do this w/o tons of metal in my back"....or like yesterday, I kept complaining about how is the last Thanksgiving I will have w/o being restricted w/bending and twisting....its kinda pathetic actually, but I cant help it. I need to start looking at the positive things I guess...like next turkey day I wont be in so much pain from standing all day cooking & cleaning....cuz I will make my husband do it all! lol Any advise or thoughts, idea's? Did anyone start taking meds for their fears & anxieties? If so, is it too soon for me to start taking, or even asking for something? Im such a wimp!!
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Hi there and welcome
    oh boy, yes I remember thinking and feeling just like you and ticking off the days. I tried to be calm and listened to a relaxation tape a bit and practised the 'deep breathing thing' which did actually help. I didn't actually take anything but i know many people have tried things like rescue remedy which has helped
    I also saw and spoke to lots of friends and family about my operation and treated myself a bit - massages and a couple other beauty treatments. I also found being very organised and getting everything in order good for me mentally which I think is a common thought held here on this site by many people. You can't do much else but at least you feel a bit in control if you are doing something practical (if you get what I mean). Making lists of things to get/do/buy was a big thing for me.
    Also of course, reading and posting here helped me tremendously - a problem shared and all that...but its really true.
    I wish you all the best and whenever you have something to ask just post away!
    Best wishes
    Louisse
    Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Lynn Marie,

I counted the days too. I did the same thing as you as far as thinking 'this is the last time for *whatever* prior to surgery'....and drove myself nuts. I was such a nervous wreck the week prior, I probably could have used meds, but I had so much other turmoil going on in my personal life, that I just couldn't. It's been 6 weeks since my surgery. I told my husband the other day that prior to surgery, I was concerned that I'd be a 'half-full' type afterwards and feel sorry for myself, but I never did. I'm just so thankful that things worked out, no complications, and I'm still here getting better day by day!

My only advice that I've given to a few people in the last few weeks is, pack as much fun and good times into that 47 days as you possibly can. We even had a 100 or so person barbeque complete with a roast pig to celebrate my upcoming surgery one month prior. Also, do as much exercise as you can now for 3 reasons: 1) build up your muscles so that you will be better off in recovery, 2) build up your heart and lungs with aerobics so they are stronger for sugery, and 3) (MOST IMPORTANT ONE) get those endorphins going so that you will be mentally stronger and more up-beat.

((Hugs)) and I know you will be strong and do just fine.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks Debbe...I appreicate it. I know what you mean about packing in the fun. Ive been telling myself that for awhile now, but seeing as tho its cold out now, that elimanates some of the good stuff. I told my hubby I wanted to really have a super awesome New Years Eve this year, we'll see.

Im so glad that you are doing so good at 6 weeks out!! (I think that was about when I joined the web site) You sound so postive too, which is encouraging! It's refreshing to know that there are other adults who are going thru this same kind of craziness & lived to tell their stories. Before this site, I felt lost & scared! Hope you continue to heal nicely, and thanks for the words of encouragement!
        Lynn -30.... something
        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Hi Lynne Marie,

Debbe has some great advice there, to pack in as much fun as you can before surgery. But I wanted to add, make sure you do that for the great reasons that Debbe listed, *not* out of fear that you won't be able to have any fun after surgery! There is DEFINITELY Life After Surgery! Yes, recovery is tough, but once your surgeon takes you off restrictions, there are very few things you won't be able to do - just that some things you might do *differently*.

Re. anxiety - please don't feel like a "wimp"! It's virtually universal that people get very anxious & fearful about the surgery. It's Big! There are some members here who take meds to help them deal with their anxiety in the lead up to surgery. If you feel they'd help you out - there's no harm in asking your doc.

In the vast majority of cases, the surgery goes very well. Try not to get brought down by a high number of stories here about needing revision, ongoing pain, etc. - by the very nature of a "support group", the huge majority of people who have no complications & go back to living life normally do not need "support". So, a place like this - while Fantastic - is also going to be rife with stories of problematic fusions. It's definitely not representative of the population of people who undergo fusions. I'm sure yours will be in the majority & turn out great

--

Debbe - I can't believe you're 6 wks post-op!! Congrats! It's great to hear you're doing well. Best wishes for the continuing silky smoooooth recovery

--

ARGH! Not that I'm counting either, but 12 days to go for me!!

Comment

LynnMarie,

Don't be afraid to ask for anti-anxiety medicine. My surgery was 6 months ago. I'm a full time college student and when my semester ended in mid-May, I still had 2 weeks before my surgery. I worked some, exercised, met up with friends, went to some movies with my husband, went out to dinner with my husband, and tried to get lost in a TV show that had always interested me but I had never watched before. My surgery was on a Tuesday and I started taking anti-anxiety medicine the Sunday evening before the surgery. I probably would have sneaked out of the hospital the day of the surgery if I hadn't had that medicine. I also asked the anesthesiologist for a sedative at my pre-op appointment. I think they gave me Xanax. It worked really well! I barely remember going in the operating room. You'll do great! It's ok to ask for medicine now.
            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
            2003- 33 degrees
            2005- 37 degrees
            2006- 44 degrees
            May 2007- 47 degrees
            December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
            Fused T1 to L2
            Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Thanks Briarrose.....I think I just spelled that wrong, sorry! (I wish you could see the post you are replying to on here..lol) I go for my pre-op Jan 5th....which sounds too close to the actual day, but eh, who am I? I will ask for some stuff then if I can hold out that long...lol....How is your rash on your back? Did you find out anything else?
              Lynn -30.... something
              UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
                Thanks Briarrose.....I think I just spelled that wrong, sorry! (I wish you could see the post you are replying to on here..lol) I go for my pre-op Jan 5th....which sounds too close to the actual day, but eh, who am I? I will ask for some stuff then if I can hold out that long...lol....How is your rash on your back? Did you find out anything else?
                Hi LynnMarie,

I was responding to your first post. Sorry I forgot to quote you. Your pre-op does seem close to the actual date, but I think that's pretty normal. My pre-op was May 9th and my surgery was scheduled for May 20th (it was later switched to the 27th).

Thanks for asking about my rash. The steroid cream seems to be helping a lot but I won't be surprised if the rash comes back once I stop the cream (it's happened before). I haven't really found out anything else yet. I go back the dermatologist on December 22.
                Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                2003- 33 degrees
                2005- 37 degrees
                2006- 44 degrees
                May 2007- 47 degrees
                December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                Fused T1 to L2
                Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Lynn Marie,

I just sent you 2 private messages re: Dr. Tribus. Sorry, I've been off of the forum for a while, but read my messages and hopefully they will help. I'd be glad to help in anyway I can.

Best,
                  Anya
                  "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                  Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                  19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X