Lisa's Home and getting stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa's Home and getting stable

Hi again to all, this is Lisa's daughter Sarah again!

Sorry it has been so long since I've written another update for Lisa. After the surgery was over a week ago Monday mom was moved to the ICU for several days because the surgery was so long she needed some extra intensive care initially (she had some trouble keeping her blood pressure up for a while). After a few days in ICU she was moved to a regular room, which was much nicer because we were more free to be with her and spend the night to keep an eye on her. Unfortunately there were some nasty pain crises, because the nurses and doctors made several mistakes with her medications, which caused her discomfort and frustration (of course!).

Finally, with her medications under control and us trained in how to take care of her, mom was able to come home on Sunday night (11/23). It has been really nice for her to be in her own bed, and not have to wait for the nurses to be free every time she needs her meds. However, there have still been mistakes in her medication that we've been negotiation with her doctors, which just makes a hard recovery that much more difficult! It's also been more difficult for her because of the extra complications associated with her MS, which has be exacerbating her muscle spasms, which can be excruciating.

On a better note, mom is feeling more optimistic, has been sleeping better at night, and has been making incredible progress walking around. She says it's mostly just frustrating to be so incapacitated in bed, but be able to walk around really well. She's also very happy to be able to take showers, they do wonders for how you feel! Her appetite is good, and she says her sense of taste came back quickly after surgery. She's had lots of visitors and family around to look after her, so I think it's been nice for her not to feel alone.

Finally, mom says love to all of you, thanks for your prayers and support, and she's thinking of you. Also, she she quoted the forum all the time in the hospital: "Well the forum says..." ;-), it was very funny. More later, hopefully when Lisa can write for herself!

--Sarah
    Lisa MS
    age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
    Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
    Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
    Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Thanks Sara for the update on you mother. I'm sorry she has had so much trouble with her pain medication. I sincerely hope the rest of her recovery goes much smoother. Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

That was a wonderful update, Sarah. Thank you so much! It sounds like, even with the pain med "bumps in the road" that your mom is doing pretty well. Early recovery is a rough time, but it is nice to be back home and in your own comfy surroundings, and with your friends and family to help out. Please tell her we are looking forward to hearing from her when she is up to it, and in the meantime to just rest and let her body begin the healing... Gentle hugs, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Sarah
        thanks for posting with your Mum's update - please give my best wishes to Lisa. It's a pain (literally) when the meds aren't right - I hope this is soon sorted. to be back in your own bed and home with everyone around you sure is good - I remember it well.
        please give Lisa my best wishes and tell her - it can only get better from now on....
        Louisse
        x
        Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Sarah,

I'm so glad you posted again. Your mom has been in my thoughts and prayers the last few days. I hope the medication mix-ups are a thing of the past and that she continues to improve daily! I so know what you mean about the showers--they just breath new life into you!

Tell Lisa to update us when she is able and give her a gentle little hug for me.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Sarah, thanks so much for another update.

I'm so sorry to hear about the pain med mix-ups. Without proper meds (on time!), spinal surgery pain really is in a league of its own...and to have that compounded by other disorders is just horrid. I really hope it's up, Up, UP from here on out. The walking and the appetite are great signs that she's on track.

It sounds like you're doing a magnificent job with helping her out, but I hope you're taking good care of yourself, too.

Please tell her we'll all be thinking of her lots, & wishing her a nice, smooth recovery.

Be well - both of you.

Comment

Working...
            X