Catching Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching Up!

It's good to be back! I've been away from the forum for some time and have just finished reading all the posts I've missed. Whew! When I last posted, I had just cancelled surgery with a doctor in Atlanta who wouldn't talk to me by phone himself, leaving that to his nurse who seemed confused by my questions. Then, thanks to advice from many on this forum, I began my search for a new surgeon...first seeing one in N.C.

Then - here comes another example of good things that happen because of this forum - I met Cathie (bsprings) who just happens to live a couple of towns away from me and had also seen the same Atlanta doctor that I had, although she ended up having her surgery in New York with Dr. Boachie. We met for lunch one day. At that time, one doc had told me I would need a long fusion to the sacrum, and that my "walk" would never be quite the same since I would be stiff thru the lower spine. Cathie has a similar fusion, so naturally I was anxious to see how see looked. Well, let me tell you guys who haven't met her in person, she is beautiful! She walks tall, straight and gracefully. Seeing her put my mind at ease because, if I could look half that good after surgery, I'd be happy!

Cathie was planning to see Dr. B for her 18-month check-up, and she volunteered to change her appointment to whatever day I could go, so I could also sit in on her visit with him and see her x-rays. What a wonderful offer to someone who had been a total stranger to her a few weeks earlier!

So, early last June, I set off to N.Y. a day ahead of my apt. and saw Dr. B the next morning. Another interesting note....this was also the same day that Debbe was in to see Dr. B, so I was able to met her and her hubby....a very handsome couple indeed! Dr. B calmly answered my many questions. I won't go into details in this already long post, but what he proposed seemed the best solution to me. Later that day, I joined Cathie for her follow-up, and after a nice dinner, we flew back to Atlanta together.

The day after I got home, I called and scheduled the surgery with Dr. Boachie. Two December dates had already filled since the previous day (remember, it was JUNE), so I took the first available in January. So now I'm just trying to work out the insurance issues. BTW, so far I have found Theresa, the insurance/billing lady to be quite pleasant and helpful.

Thanks again to all who've advised me or wished me well. This is such a long and unfamiliar road we're on; it's such a comfort to know that we're not on it alone. Will keep you posted.....although will keep it much shorter next time.

Peachy (Anne)

Hi Peachy! It's super to hear from you! It sounds like things are headed in the right direction for you and that you will be in great hands for your surgery. Hope to hear from you more often in the next few months! Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Anne,

I'm so glad that you're back here, I missed you. Your date will be here before you know it. I hope everything works out smoothly with the insurance. And for what it's worth, when we saw Theresa, she was very nice to us as well.

Anyway, you will do GREAT, I just know it. And then Atlanta will have another straight, tall, gorgeous Dr. B patient walking around town. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you when you are up this way, REALLY I mean it.

Keep in touch,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
      X