scoliosis surgery after spinal cord injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoliosis surgery after spinal cord injury

Does anyone have experience with surgery after spinal cord injury. My niece turns 12 this month and 3 years ago she had a T11 injury with resulting paralysis below the waist. She has been in a wheelchair since. I think her curve is about 52. The plan is for her to have her whole back fused and her parents and I are now second guessing this decision and feeling anxious about doing the right thing. The surgery is scheduled for Monday.

Hi Mary,

I think you and your family are right in questioning a full spine fusion for your niece. I know a few patients who have had scoliosis surgery who are wheelchair bound for various reasons (i.e., spina bifida, CP, etc.). None of the patients I know had their entire spines fused. I would get at least another opinion, to make sure this is the right procedure for her, at the right time. I'd be calling or emailing other PEDIATRIC orthos who have experience treating paralyzed children. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to email me if you'd like. boulderfam@hotmail.com
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
    X