Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tahlia is now in theatre

Hi all,
    My daughter, Tahlia has just gone into theatre. She was very calm and relaxed last night, but got a bit teary on the way there (to theatre). SO did I. I was so stoic and brave up until then, but what can you expect. The doctors have decided that she is having posterior only, so a huge relief and weight off my shoulders having to make a decision like that. They decided it was too risky to go through the front and didn't think they would get that much correction anyway. So it's back only.

I am home now as I stink and wanted to shower here. I will head back in a couple of hours to be there when she wakes up.

Just wanted to keep you all posted and say thanks for your thoughts and wishes.

Love Lisa
    Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Lisa-- I'm so relieved for you that the decision wasn't left up to you. Of course you and Tahlia were teary eyed then-- I think most everyone is. You are both very, very brave. This part of the challenge is almost over, and that always seems like such a huge hurdle. Thanks for the update-- and I'm looking forward to the one you'll be doing in a short while, when the surgery is over. You both are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Another one thinking much of you both. Recovery is tough (for patient AND Mum!), but every day is better than the last.

Thanks for the update. I'm also looking forward to a nice, positive update when you get a chance after Tahlia's out of surgery.

Best wishes to you both...please take care of yourself, too

Comment

Well sounds like things are on there way I will be thinking of you and watching for updates. Prayers are with you.
        Catherine
        Mom of 14 year old Danielle
        T45 degree curve Feb 2008
        T47 degree curve May 2008
        T50 degree curve Sept 2008
        Surgery Nov 24th 2008
        Ontario, Canada

Comment

It's 7.11 pm here and I've only just seen this

Thanks Lisa, for your early update. I'm so pleased for you and Tahlia that this part at least, will now be over. I hope all goes well for Tahlia in recovery and you are both delighted with the results.

Looking forward to the next update!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm very relieved to hear the doctors made a decision. I think you were in an impossible position.

Good luck with Tahlia's recovery.

sharon
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Dear Lisa,

I'm not sure of the time difference between Australia and the Eastern US, but I am thinking and praying for you both.

Please update us when you can--please know there is a lot of support for you here!

Take care of yourself, too!

Marian

Comment

Lisa--

I was just looking at the clock, and am sure by now the surgery is well over. I was thinking of you all night as I was up and down with Sidney. Looking forward to hearing the good news. And SO glad a decision was made that is right for you!

All good wishes!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Has anyone heard anything from Lisa about Tahlia? They've been on my mind a lot today.

Comment

I've been thinking of Lisa and Tahlia today too. Wondering how the other testing went, as well. I'm assuming all was well since they went ahead with surgery. Many best wishes and prayers for a successful outcome.
                    Carmell
                    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Update on Talia!

Hey everyone,

I spoke with Lisa on the phone last night and was very relieved to hear that Talia's surgery is over and went well. Lisa hadn't actually seen her yet as they were waiting for a bed for Talia in the ICU.

The surgeon did Postior surgery only and got her curve reduced by approx 1/2Won't know exact correction until next year with x-ray. (next year not all that many weeks away!). They fused T1 - L3 - so a very long fusion! She also lost a lot of blood and had to have a transfusion.

I will keep you all posted as Lisa relays Talia's progress to me!

Thank heavens it's all over as this has been a very stressful time for Lisa - trying to make the best decision for her child!!! My heart goes out to her as all as mum's of Scoli patients know how difficult it is when the Dr ask you the dreaded question..... "so what do you want to do."

Hope everyone is keeping well, I know I'm not posting here anymore, doing my bit what I can for Australian Scoli patients from this end. Any more Aussies come along, you know which way to direct them!

Love to everyone!!!!
                      Del
                      Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                      Sydney - Australia
                      Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                      Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                      Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                      L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Tahlia!!!!!

Oops!!! Hate it when I get the spelling wrong..... Tahlia!!!!!

Confusing cause I have a daughter Tarlia!!!! LOL!
                        Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                        Sydney - Australia
                        Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                        Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                        Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                        L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Thanks for the update I have been thinking about them as well and I am so relieved all went well. If you talk to her please tell her we are all thinking of her and Tahlia
                          Catherine
                          Mom of 14 year old Danielle
                          T45 degree curve Feb 2008
                          T47 degree curve May 2008
                          T50 degree curve Sept 2008
                          Surgery Nov 24th 2008
                          Ontario, Canada

Comment

Such great news, so relieved for Lisa & Tahlia. Thanks for the update, Del.

And, yes - I was only thinking this morning what a lot of us Aussies are around here these days.. Yay!!

Thanks again for the update. I'll look forward to more good news in coming weeks

Comment

Thanks for the update!

Please tell Lisa we are thinking of her and Tahlia! Ask her to keep us posted when she can and to take care of herself, too!

Marian

Comment

Working...
                              X