Hospital on weds 6 months post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital on weds 6 months post op

Hi Everyone i am 6 months Past my op on the 21st of this month, and having a lot of probs, think it is me though i have been doing things i was advised not to, i am stuborn and will not ask for help.....

Anyway i have an emergency appoinment with my surgeon which was made beginning of this month, but he was booked till then and they have cancelled someone to fit me in, because he wanted to see me rather then another surgeon.

I have had a lot of probs for weeks now, pain is slowly getting more not worse only somedays it is reallt bad, like tonight i have stabbing pains in my shoulder blades (mainly the left one though) and stabban pains roughly in the middle just to the left of where my spine is maybe where the rod is.
    and once i had a lot of pain in my hip and couldnt even move...
    cant wait till weds i have mangered to get this far i was told if i couldnt cope with it much more then just to go to A & E, but i dint really want to do that.

This is also making me feel depressed pain everyday i thought at 6 months i would be better, i have been good last few months i was only naughty to start with moving room around a bit nothing to heavy, but heavy then i was meant to. and i dint have pain till few weeks later and now its all the time.

Any ideas what it could be? I have booked tomorrow off work to rest because i had about 2-3 hours sleep the whole weekend which isnt helping.

My surgeon was worried after the op as he said my bones are very small and the screws in my spine where not in like they would be in a normal person, The screws he said are 5mm long and my spine was only 3-4mm thick so they dnt fit right, which is why the op took an our or two more then they predicted.

Sorry this is soo long im just very down at the mo, and have finally been able to get back on laptop.

Angela
    xx
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Angela,

I am so sorry that you are having pain and hope they can figure out what is going on. ((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Sending hugs to you... so sorry you are having these problems, but I'm so glad you will get in to see your surgeon on Wednesday. Please let us know what he says. Hugs, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Update on appoinment

Hi Guys back from the hospital now my appoinment was ok.
        The pain in my Hip he doesnt know what is causing that he thinks it is just getting use to the new shape as that was the hip that was out of place.

But the pain in my back is where the end of the rod is, so he thinks that is what is causing that, and he said he cant do much but in 18 months after the op i could have them removed if I want....
        I am not sure weather to have that, but i have that to think about now aswell. 18 months woulf be Nov next year. I have another check up with him in July and he is hoping the pain will go away but he has made it worse now, because he was pushing it, I hope it eases soon..

Angela
        Angela, 25 England.
        May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

angela
          just after I posted best wishes for your holiday i read this post - how is your back now? I hope the pain has subsided. I guess 6 months it is all still healing.
          anyway just wanted to wish you well.
          Louisse
          Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Hiya thanks for that comment on here and the Holiday I cant wait for the holiday.

I cant remember if i posted this on the holiday part or not,

But i was having a good day today with pain and that and I for once had a good nights sleep so I feel a lot better, but then i got to work and one of the guys just before 10am hit me on my back, he forgot about the surgery and its now very painful again and I did lose feeling in my left arm, left side it was I have been having all the probs with anyway, feeling has come back now, but I have had to take the strong pain killers again and still have pain.

We are trying to get him to get me a box of chocs or something my mum works here aswell and she is not happy with him.
            Angela, 25 England.

Comment

OMG Angela, someone needs to smack THAT guy upside the head! I am so sorry that happened, and hopefully you will be feeling better soon. ((Hug))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

crikey Angela the thought of someone doing that to me feels me with dread. I am still wearing my brace and feel quite 'protected' when I am out but not so sure I will feel the same when I start to 'wean' myself off the brace.
                Anyway, best wishes for the holiday - you're right, the weather here in the UK is pretty lousy at the moment - gone are the sunny autumn days I think.
                Take care
                Louisse
                PS hope you get an apology (oh and a box of chocs too of course!)
                Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

I have a question.

I am 3 months post op and my back is numb. Does the feeling ever come back? Also when do you think I can go off the pain meds?
                  Thanks,
                  Vickie

Comment

At 19 months post op my back is still numb I thought it was starting to get better but know it seems worse.
                    Patty 51 years old
                    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                    Posterior T3- L4
                    Pre surgery curves
                    T-53degrees
                    L-38degrees
                    and a severe side shift to the right.
                    Post surgery curves
                    Less than 10 degrees
                    Surgery April, 2006
                    C4 - C6

Comment