Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery in 3 weeks...help!

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in a few months. I decided to go through with the surgery to have my rods removed...since I have been having so much pain.

I saw Dr. Lenke in St. Louis this past September and he said that I should have my surgery done by one of the doctors where I live (in Michigan). I was very sad as I wanted it to be done by someone who is a renowned expert. He seemed to say that it really was not a procedure that required a lot of skill. I'm just so scared of going through another surgery.

Anyway, I resigned myself to having it done here....I really trust the doctor. He is a wonderful caring person and is reported to be an excellent spine surgeon. (He is from California but is taking care of his elderly parents here in Michigan currently.) Anyway, my only reservation is that he doesn't deal with scoliosis in particular all the time. He puts rods in and takes rods out all the time in adult patients but hasn't removed the specific rods or dealt with the specific situation I'm in. Is this a stupid move??? I'm just kindof resigned and feel that maybe I just need to trust him. He is very confident to do it and helped design the scoliosis equipment that is in my back I believe. He acted like he does many more surgeries that are more complicated than this.

Anyway, my surgery is scheduled for 3 weeks from today! Ah...I can't believe I'm actually going to go through with this again!

QUESTION: Has anyone ever had major burning neck pain?? I've never had it until 6 months ago.....when things started to really go downhill painwise. I had an MRI done on my neck and it came back normal....I'm just hoping that the pain is radiating up from my rods in the thoracic region???

Thanks for everything in advance.

May the Lord give you strength to get through each day as he is giving me.

Scolimich

age 27
    scoli fusion 1998 T4-L2
    thoracic was 42
    lumbar was 40

Hey

It has been a long time...I'm glad to see you back, but of course, wish it was in better circumstances.

I'm sure many wise people from the US will be able to help you out with the questions about the doc, but I just wanted to pop by to say a big goodluck. It sounds like I'll be in surgery just the day after you - 3 wks 1 day today!! (my time). Wow it sounds scary when you say it like that, lol

Re. the burning neck pain - YES, I understand. I think that you didn't have curve progression, but a lot of pain from the rods themselves? [terribly sorry - I have a horrid memory.] I get a lot of neck (& back) pain - burning, stinging, aching, cramping...but I think all of mine is to do with the curve progression making me sit funny & putting extra strain on my neck. It sounds possible that your pain could be radiating - or maybe your neck muscles are constantly very tense from the stress of pain lower down. I so hope that the surgery helps you out with it, either way.

Anyhow, best of luck!! I hate that I won't be around to hear a post-op update on how you're doing, but I will be thinking lots of you.

Good to hear from you. Take care

Comment

Hi Scolimich & Disco. Pls forgive me for being too lazy to look up your names. I'm so glad that each of you have your surgeries scheduled. Did I count right that Scol's is Dec 8th and Disco's is Dec 9th? I believe you have to have faith and trust, in both your surgeon and in God. You won't make it without these two things. Do a lot of praying and it will get you through the bad times ahead and there's no getting around it, you'll have some bad times, but the good part is that you will steadily be getting better with every day, which you're not doing that now. You'll have your friends here in the forum praying for each of you. Scol, at least you've been through this before and getting these rods out might be the best thing that's ever happened to you.

Will be anxiously awaiting updates from each of you.

Diane
      Diane in Dallas
      Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
      Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
      Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
      Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
      Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
      Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
      Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Scolimich,

I understand that it is hard to think that you will have another surgery. But I can say that when you do remove them it isn't as intense and you get better quickly.

Hopefully your neck will get better after the surgery. I have had the same burning pain in my neck. Mine is just strain because my neck is more forward now. But before I got my rods out in 02 I had burning in my shoulders and that went away, thank goodness.

Take care and we will pray for you. Listen to Diane she had good advice on faith.
        Adrienne
        1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
        1993 Rod Removal
        1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
        2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
        Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
        Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

thanks.

Thanks for your care and concern! I appreciate your thoughts and prayers....December 8th is quickly approaching. I really hope that the rods coming out is the right thing and that I'll be in a LEAST 50% less pain...that would make life so much more livable!

Scolimich

Comment

Hi Disco,

Thanks for your reply...The doctors say that I have not had curve progression where I am fused (however, I have had progression below my fusion in my lower back). The lower back is not where my pain is coming from though. My middle back shoulder blade and neck regions are the big problem-areas. They think that the pain is from the rods...I know at least some of it is...hopefully it's where all the pain is coming from and not a shoulder problem (the shoulder blade has bothered me so much even before these rods were put in at age 16).

I am praying for your surgery right now.....are you as scared as I am??

Scolimich

Comment

YES!! I keep swinging from thinking that having this done before is an advantage (well, at least I know what I'm in for) to thinking it must be a disadvantage (OMG, I know what I'm in for). LOL! [Yep, I'm no doubt certifiably crazy )

But I'm glad to hear for you that the removal is easier going than the original surgery...I so, so hope this helps out with your pain.

BEST of luck to you. I'm not sure on time zones, but I'm on the 11th Dec. here (ARGH! 2 wks today!), but go in the day before (ARGH! LESS than 2 wks today!! lol)....anyhow, I'm thinking that around the time that I'm being admitted, you'll probably be in theatre. I'll be thinking of you all around that time anyways :-)

Take care. Hopefully, before you know it, you'll be in much less pain.

Comment

thinking of you

Hey Disco,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you right now...I know you must be as nervous as I am anticipating the whole thing....uggg.....I can't believe I'm really going to have my back opened up again.

I hope I will be praying for you the day after I'm operated on....but I may be too drugged!!!!! LOL.

Scolimich

Comment

Originally posted by scolimich View Post
                  Hey Disco,
                  uggg.....I can't believe I'm really going to have my back opened up again
                  You know, this is exactly what I keep thinking. I know that going in to this without prior experience with it is scary as all heck, but sometimes I think it would still be easier than knowing what on earth you're getting yourself in for. Uggg is right on, lol. But...at least for me, & I think for you, too...we didn't go into these extra surgeries lightly, we're doing them because right now is pretty bad & the surgery is some hope. Not the time to second guess ourselves, I guess

Thanks for the thoughts/prayers, but you just "enjoy" those drugs working while you can! I said to my old surgeon after fusion #2, "it really would be kinder to just keep us under anaesthetic for like a month post-op". He laughed. I was serious

Seriously, though...you will do great. And, seeing as I won't be drugged yet (unfortunately!), I'll be thinking of you

Take care, & best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X