Tahlia's Surgery on Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tahlia's Surgery on Tuesday

Yikes!! We have Tahlia's surgery scheduled for Tuesday, less than 3 days away and I am so nervous. I still haven't fully decided whether we will do the full anterior/posterior surgery or just opt for posterior only. I have another meeting with the anaesthetist the morning of the op to tell her my decision. OMG! I just don't know what to do. This is the worst decision I've ever had to make in my entire life. I hate being in this situation and just want it to end.

Tahlia is reasonably calm about the whole thing, but I am an emotional trainwreck.

Please send me your prayers - I think I will need them.

Thank you all for listening.

Lisa
    Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Big hugs to you, Lisa. I hope that whatever decision is made (hopefully WITH the surgeons helping, a lot!) it will be the best for Tahlia. She's got a lot going against her, but she's also got a lot going FOR her, including her supportive mom. If you weren't worried, I'd be concerned about YOU. This is frightening. The anticipation and anxiety before surgery is almost worse than the surgery and recovery put together. You don't know what to expect. That "fear of the unknown" is awful. Please know you have MANY people hoping and praying for the best for Tahlia. Many more best wishes that the surgeons have the knowledge and skill to have a very successful procedure on Tuesday.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Lisa-- just want you to know I am praying for you, your daughter, and the tough decision. I'm so sorry you are going through all this. I hope the Lord can bring you some peace of mind... Soon, this will all be over with and you'll be able to breathe again and gear up for the recovery. Hang in there! Hugs, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you

Hi Carmel,
        Thanks for you thoughts and kind words. It really does mean a lot. By the way, I email Del quite often and i think she shared some of your info/advice with me on a couple of things, so THANK YOU for that as well. I really do appreciate all the information and advice that people provide. IT DOES HELP!!! Believe me.

Will let you know how things go.

Lisa

Comment

Praying, Lisa!

Comment

I will be praying for you. This decision is very difficult and only you can makes the choice and that really sucks, but you have made life decision to this point for your daughter and you will do the right thing. Thinking of you also take care of you I know that is hard to do right now. God bless you
            Catherine
            Mom of 14 year old Danielle
            T45 degree curve Feb 2008
            T47 degree curve May 2008
            T50 degree curve Sept 2008
            Surgery Nov 24th 2008
            Ontario, Canada

Comment

I can see from reading these forums that being the parent of a patient is worse than being the patient. Especially when you're required to make big decisions, as you are Kitty. I know that in a few short days, this will be behind you, the decision made, surgery over and you'll be well into recovery.

Thinking of you and Tahlia and wishing you both all the very best. I'll be back here looking for your first message of good news in a few days!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Lisa,

Best of luck to you & Tahlia. It's scary to go into a big surgery with so many other health issues going on...but it sounds like she's in great hands, she has a wonderfully supportive Mum, & the thoughts/prayers of the members here behind her....and I'm sure she'll do great.

I can't imagine how terrifying this surgery decision is for you...like everyone else here, I'll be thinking much of you both over the coming days/weeks & hoping for a great outcome.

My best to you both.

Comment

I think JenniferG is so right I have wished many times that I could take this for her. I have been told that while Danielle is in ICU i will not beable to stay and this is freaking me out. Maybe someone could help me here how do you physically leave with your child there? My husband was very ill 2 years ago and it took me five days before I could leave him so not sure how to do this with her. Mind you I will havehim, my bestfriend to help me out this time.
                  Last edited by gillespie; 11-15-2008, 05:42 PM.
                  Catherine
                  Mom of 14 year old Danielle
                  T45 degree curve Feb 2008
                  T47 degree curve May 2008
                  T50 degree curve Sept 2008
                  Surgery Nov 24th 2008
                  Ontario, Canada

Comment

Catherine,

When I was in ICU, The second night the nurse came in and told my husband he needed to leave He told her he had not left since I got there and would not leave until I left. She never said another word to him again. Good luck and I hope they let you stay. The Dr. had told my husband if they ask you to leave you just need to go out to the waiting room for a while and you can come back in but we did not have a problem.
                    Patty 51 years old
                    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                    Posterior T3- L4
                    Pre surgery curves
                    T-53degrees
                    L-38degrees
                    and a severe side shift to the right.
                    Post surgery curves
                    Less than 10 degrees
                    Surgery April, 2006
                    C4 - C6

Comment

Catherine

I realize every hospital has different rules. Where we were one parent was allowed to stay.
                      well at one point my husband, myself and my two other kids 16 and 18 at the time, were in the ICU with Patrick. It was a quiet night for them and they didn't say anything even though the rules were written on the door. After my family left for the night the nurses offered for me to lie down in the room across the hall which would be his room the next day. I was so exhausted, and suffering the worst migraine, that I did so knowing that he was in good hands. Besides he was so sleepy anyways that he wouldn't remember whether I was there or not. My other option would have been to sleep in a chair sitting beside Patrick. So rest assured everything will work out and I think usually rules can be bent somewhat, especially if you take sccrm08's advice.

Ramona
                      Last edited by scoliboymom; 11-15-2008, 09:45 PM.
                      mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
                      diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
                      also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
                      fused T4 to L1

Comment

Catherine, I have sent you a PM.
                        Lisa

Comment

Working...
                        X