View Full Version : Tahlia's Surgery on Tuesday

11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Yikes!! We have Tahlia's surgery scheduled for Tuesday, less than 3 days away and I am so nervous. I still haven't fully decided whether we will do the full anterior/posterior surgery or just opt for posterior only. I have another meeting with the anaesthetist the morning of the op to tell her my decision. OMG! I just don't know what to do. This is the worst decision I've ever had to make in my entire life. I hate being in this situation and just want it to end.

Tahlia is reasonably calm about the whole thing, but I am an emotional trainwreck.

Please send me your prayers - I think I will need them.

Thank you all for listening.


11-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Big hugs to you, Lisa. I hope that whatever decision is made (hopefully WITH the surgeons helping, a lot!) it will be the best for Tahlia. She's got a lot going against her, but she's also got a lot going FOR her, including her supportive mom. If you weren't worried, I'd be concerned about YOU. This is frightening. The anticipation and anxiety before surgery is almost worse than the surgery and recovery put together. You don't know what to expect. That "fear of the unknown" is awful. Please know you have MANY people hoping and praying for the best for Tahlia. Many more best wishes that the surgeons have the knowledge and skill to have a very successful procedure on Tuesday.

11-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Lisa-- just want you to know I am praying for you, your daughter, and the tough decision. I'm so sorry you are going through all this. I hope the Lord can bring you some peace of mind... Soon, this will all be over with and you'll be able to breathe again and gear up for the recovery. Hang in there! Hugs, Susie

11-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi Carmel,
Thanks for you thoughts and kind words. It really does mean a lot. By the way, I email Del quite often and i think she shared some of your info/advice with me on a couple of things, so THANK YOU for that as well. I really do appreciate all the information and advice that people provide. IT DOES HELP!!! Believe me.

Will let you know how things go.


11-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Praying, Lisa!

11-14-2008, 08:22 PM
I will be praying for you. This decision is very difficult and only you can makes the choice and that really sucks, but you have made life decision to this point for your daughter and you will do the right thing. Thinking of you also take care of you I know that is hard to do right now. God bless you

11-15-2008, 02:02 AM
I can see from reading these forums that being the parent of a patient is worse than being the patient. Especially when you're required to make big decisions, as you are Kitty. I know that in a few short days, this will be behind you, the decision made, surgery over and you'll be well into recovery.

Thinking of you and Tahlia and wishing you both all the very best. I'll be back here looking for your first message of good news in a few days!

11-15-2008, 06:23 PM

Best of luck to you & Tahlia. It's scary to go into a big surgery with so many other health issues going on...but it sounds like she's in great hands, she has a wonderfully supportive Mum, & the thoughts/prayers of the members here behind her....and I'm sure she'll do great.

I can't imagine how terrifying this surgery decision is for you...like everyone else here, I'll be thinking much of you both over the coming days/weeks & hoping for a great outcome.

My best to you both.

11-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I think JenniferG is so right I have wished many times that I could take this for her. I have been told that while Danielle is in ICU i will not beable to stay and this is freaking me out. Maybe someone could help me here how do you physically leave with your child there? My husband was very ill 2 years ago and it took me five days before I could leave him so not sure how to do this with her. Mind you I will havehim, my bestfriend to help me out this time.

11-15-2008, 09:23 PM

When I was in ICU, The second night the nurse came in and told my husband he needed to leave He told her he had not left since I got there and would not leave until I left. She never said another word to him again. Good luck and I hope they let you stay. The Dr. had told my husband if they ask you to leave you just need to go out to the waiting room for a while and you can come back in but we did not have a problem.

11-15-2008, 10:26 PM

I realize every hospital has different rules. Where we were one parent was allowed to stay.
well at one point my husband, myself and my two other kids 16 and 18 at the time, were in the ICU with Patrick. It was a quiet night for them and they didn't say anything even though the rules were written on the door. After my family left for the night the nurses offered for me to lie down in the room across the hall which would be his room the next day. I was so exhausted, and suffering the worst migraine, that I did so knowing that he was in good hands. Besides he was so sleepy anyways that he wouldn't remember whether I was there or not. My other option would have been to sleep in a chair sitting beside Patrick. So rest assured everything will work out and I think usually rules can be bent somewhat, especially if you take sccrm08's advice.


11-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Catherine, I have sent you a PM.