Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little update

Hi all,

I've been posting responses to other posts and realized that I havent done a real update on myself for a while. I am still amazed at how well I am doing. I attribute that fact to the skill of my surgeon, plus the wonderful help I have had at home here. My parents are still here, probably for another month or so, and they take care of all housework, kid running arround, laundry, cleaning, etc. I have felt so much better the last week or so that I am helping with the cooking, because I want to. Yesterday I baked an apple cake, mostly on my own, and the day before I made Beef Burgundy. It's great, after we get everything in the oven or on the stove, my mom Shoo's me away to go lay down and she cleans up. I could really get used to this kind of help

I am doing more things every day that my husband says, OMG, you never could have done that a week ago. Last week I started taking regular showers instead of using the shower chair. It feels SO good to have the water beating down on my back on days that I wake up stiff. I am down to 4 of the short acting pain pills and 2 long acting pain pills per day. When I came home I was taking 12 short acting plus 2 long acting per day. I don't get that groggy feeling from the pain meds any more because I'm cut down so much. I do lay down on the bed to rest my back at least 5 or 6 times per day, and most times I don't sleep. I just need to 'rest' my spine in a laying down position. It does as much good for me as a pain pill does, even if it's for 20 or 30 minutes.

I'm walking either 2.5 or 3 miles per day, usually with my mom. A few times I have gone on my own, and am just fine. If the weather is bad, we go to the mall and walk with the senior citizens. I don't have to tell my walking companions to slow down for me any longer either

All in all, I think I'm doing great. We all all amazed at my progress and very happy.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Oh Debbe, I'm so happy for you! Seems that you are doing all things right and your back is showing its appreciation by healing rapidly! Hope the good continues!

JoAnn

Comment

Debbe,

Congratulations on your great recovery? Did Dr. Neuwirth perform anterior/posterior or just posterior?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
        Debbe,

Congratulations on your great recovery? Did Dr. Neuwirth perform anterior/posterior or just posterior?

Chris
        Hi Chris,

I had posterior surgery only, which I understand is an easier recovery than both A/P.

Comment

Wow Debbe - it sounds like you are doing so well! I think it's fabulous and so is your family - how great that your parents are still there helping you - nice bonding time huh? You know you're setting the bar pretty high there for those of us following you with our surgeries! lol

Keep up the good work and keep posting updates for us!
          Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
          Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
          Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
          A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
          Achieved +70% Correction
          Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
          New Spine 03/19/2009
          New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

I knew you could do it~!

Absolutely fantastic, Debbe .

While you're thanking Neuwirth and your family, don't forget to pat yourself on the back for the great, fighting attitude you had going in. All the skill and all the help in the world mean nothing if you aren't willing to roll up your sleeves and do a few rounds in the ring with recovery.

I'm so proud of you!

Hugs,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

WTG, Debbe! Can't believe how active you are. And I know what you mean about just needing to "rest" your spine sometimes. I feel the same way. Don't have to have the nap, just need to take the gravity off once in a while. Also seems nice to have your hubby recognize the progress you're making. So glad for you!!!

~Trish

P.S. I still have my shower chair. My husband has adopted it and I would have to fight him for it now...not worth it, I guess
              Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
              Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
              Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
              www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Ah Debbe, that's such good news. What a great family you have. Thanks for keeping us up to date!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hey Debbei,
                  Good for you and good for your Mom walking 2 1/2 - 3 miles a day. Sounds like you have genetics on your side, at least for the walking part. Keep up the good work. Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Wow! I am impressed! Everytime I read how quickly people are up and about these days I am just amazed. I'm really happy you are doing so well Debbe, this is simply great!

Brad
                    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                    Still have 57 degree curve
                    2 Harrington rods
                    Luque method used
                    Dr David Bradford
                    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                    Preop xray (with brace on)
                    Postop xray

Comment

Good for you Debbe! You have done great!
                      Lynne

Comment

Friday we took my 9 year old to the pediatrician, so hubby measured me. I went from 5'1" and 3/4 to 5'3" and 1/4. WHOOOHOOO!! The tallest I was before I shrunk was 5'2 and 1/2.

I can honestly say I'm 5'3" I feel so TALL!!

Comment

That's wonderful Debbe! I am now allowing myself to be a little excited about a possible height gain. Up until June I'd lost 6 cm but I can feel my scoliosis worsening so perhaps it's more now. I find I can't get things out of the back of my top cupboards in the kitchen, now. I even stand on tip toes to get things out of the front of the cupboards.

You must be thrilled with that gain. Did you notice your extra height, before you measured yourself? It's almost like magic, isn't it?
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yay, Debbe! You are sooo tall, in so many ways now! I was 5'4.5" for a long time, so I was really surprised when they measured me sometime in the year or so before my surgery and I was less than 5'2". Part of it is "settling" that happens with age, but I measure a little over 5'3" now.* It's so nice to regain some of that height!

*(I think I actually "grew" about 1.5 to 1.75" during surgery)
                            Last edited by Susie*Bee; 11-16-2008, 03:26 PM.
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Debbe - what a fantastic job you're doing of this recovery thing! I'm so glad that your family is there to support you & that you're taking rests whenever your body needs them.

The height thing is almost like magic, Jen! I also notice my loss (at least 2" / 5cm) in the last couple of years, & can't wait to get it back! Because I was very little when I had the first 2 fusions, I'm only about 4' 10" (135-140cm, can't remember!) & when you're short to start with, you really notice the loss!! Congrats on being 5'3", Debbe!!

Best of luck with the rest of your recovery - thinking of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X