PDA

View Full Version : A little update

debbei
11-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Hi all,

I've been posting responses to other posts and realized that I havent done a real update on myself for a while. I am still amazed at how well I am doing. I attribute that fact to the skill of my surgeon, plus the wonderful help I have had at home here. My parents are still here, probably for another month or so, and they take care of all housework, kid running arround, laundry, cleaning, etc. I have felt so much better the last week or so that I am helping with the cooking, because I want to. Yesterday I baked an apple cake, mostly on my own, and the day before I made Beef Burgundy. It's great, after we get everything in the oven or on the stove, my mom Shoo's me away to go lay down and she cleans up. I could really get used to this kind of help :)

I am doing more things every day that my husband says, OMG, you never could have done that a week ago. Last week I started taking regular showers instead of using the shower chair. It feels SO good to have the water beating down on my back on days that I wake up stiff. I am down to 4 of the short acting pain pills and 2 long acting pain pills per day. When I came home I was taking 12 short acting plus 2 long acting per day. I don't get that groggy feeling from the pain meds any more because I'm cut down so much. I do lay down on the bed to rest my back at least 5 or 6 times per day, and most times I don't sleep. I just need to 'rest' my spine in a laying down position. It does as much good for me as a pain pill does, even if it's for 20 or 30 minutes.

I'm walking either 2.5 or 3 miles per day, usually with my mom. A few times I have gone on my own, and am just fine. If the weather is bad, we go to the mall and walk with the senior citizens. I don't have to tell my walking companions to slow down for me any longer either :)

All in all, I think I'm doing great. We all all amazed at my progress and very happy.

JoAnn5
11-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Oh Debbe, I'm so happy for you! Seems that you are doing all things right and your back is showing its appreciation by healing rapidly! Hope the good continues!

JoAnn

CHRIS WBS
11-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Debbe,

Congratulations on your great recovery? Did Dr. Neuwirth perform anterior/posterior or just posterior?

Chris

debbei
11-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Debbe,

Congratulations on your great recovery? Did Dr. Neuwirth perform anterior/posterior or just posterior?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I had posterior surgery only, which I understand is an easier recovery than both A/P.

doodie
11-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Wow Debbe - it sounds like you are doing so well! I think it's fabulous and so is your family - how great that your parents are still there helping you - nice bonding time huh? :) You know you're setting the bar pretty high there for those of us following you with our surgeries! lol

Keep up the good work and keep posting updates for us!

txmarinemom
11-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Absolutely fantastic, Debbe :).

While you're thanking Neuwirth and your family, don't forget to pat yourself on the back for the great, fighting attitude you had going in. All the skill and all the help in the world mean nothing if you aren't willing to roll up your sleeves and do a few rounds in the ring with recovery.

I'm so proud of you!

Hugs,
Pam

trishthedish
11-14-2008, 11:54 PM
WTG, Debbe! Can't believe how active you are. And I know what you mean about just needing to "rest" your spine sometimes. I feel the same way. Don't have to have the nap, just need to take the gravity off once in a while. Also seems nice to have your hubby recognize the progress you're making. So glad for you!!!

~Trish

P.S. I still have my shower chair. My husband has adopted it and I would have to fight him for it now...not worth it, I guess :p

JenniferG
11-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Ah Debbe, that's such good news. What a great family you have. Thanks for keeping us up to date!

loves to skate
11-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Hey Debbei,
Good for you and good for your Mom walking 2 1/2 - 3 miles a day. Sounds like you have genetics on your side, at least for the walking part. Keep up the good work. Sally

Qikdraw
11-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Wow! I am impressed! Everytime I read how quickly people are up and about these days I am just amazed. I'm really happy you are doing so well Debbe, this is simply great! :D

Brad

lelc2002@yahoo
11-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Good for you Debbe! You have done great!
Lynne:)

debbei
11-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Friday we took my 9 year old to the pediatrician, so hubby measured me. I went from 5'1" and 3/4 to 5'3" and 1/4. WHOOOHOOO!! The tallest I was before I shrunk was 5'2 and 1/2.

I can honestly say I'm 5'3" :) I feel so TALL!!

JenniferG
11-16-2008, 03:10 PM
That's wonderful Debbe! I am now allowing myself to be a little excited about a possible height gain. Up until June I'd lost 6 cm but I can feel my scoliosis worsening so perhaps it's more now. I find I can't get things out of the back of my top cupboards in the kitchen, now. I even stand on tip toes to get things out of the front of the cupboards.

You must be thrilled with that gain. Did you notice your extra height, before you measured yourself? It's almost like magic, isn't it?

Susie*Bee
11-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Yay, Debbe! You are sooo tall, in so many ways now! :cool: I was 5'4.5" for a long time, so I was really surprised when they measured me sometime in the year or so before my surgery and I was less than 5'2". :eek: Part of it is "settling" that happens with age, but I measure a little over 5'3" now.* It's so nice to regain some of that height! ;)

*(I think I actually "grew" about 1.5 to 1.75" during surgery)

discombobulated
11-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Debbe - what a fantastic job you're doing of this recovery thing! I'm so glad that your family is there to support you & that you're taking rests whenever your body needs them.

The height thing is almost like magic, Jen! I also notice my loss (at least 2" / 5cm) in the last couple of years, & can't wait to get it back! Because I was very little when I had the first 2 fusions, I'm only about 4' 10" (135-140cm, can't remember!) & when you're short to start with, you really notice the loss!! Congrats on being 5'3", Debbe!!

Best of luck with the rest of your recovery - thinking of you.

debbei
11-16-2008, 06:52 PM
That's wonderful Debbe! I am now allowing myself to be a little excited about a possible height gain. Up until June I'd lost 6 cm but I can feel my scoliosis worsening so perhaps it's more now. I find I can't get things out of the back of my top cupboards in the kitchen, now. I even stand on tip toes to get things out of the front of the cupboards.

You must be thrilled with that gain. Did you notice your extra height, before you measured yourself? It's almost like magic, isn't it?

Hey Jennifer,

I didn't really notice a difference, but all of my family did. What I did notice right away was that my trunk appeared longer, so of course that would make me taller. It was just nice to see the hard evidence on the wall at the pediatrician's office. :) This whole thing is like magic to me! Honestly, never in a million years did I ever dream that I would ever have to have this surgery in the first place, after I escaped having it as a teenager. I just figured I would stay the same 'crookedness' for life and have to deal with the uneven body. Boy was I wrong!

JenniferG
11-17-2008, 12:39 AM
You and me both, Debbe! I used to smirk when I thought of how I'd escaped the surgeon's knife in my teens. The smirk has gone, but I'm hoping for a much better result than if I'd had the fusion, minus hardware and the plaster cast for 12 months at age 13.

Can I ask you a few questions?:)

Are you still sleeping only on your back?
Are you still log rolling to get out of bed? Do you need help with that?
Did you wear ordinary pjs in hospital, and did the waistband bother you across the scar?
When did you start regular showers?
Are you able to wash your hair in the shower?

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'm sure there'll be more though!

Thanks heaps, Debbe.

debbei
11-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Can I ask you a few questions?:)

Are you still sleeping only on your back?
Are you still log rolling to get out of bed? Do you need help with that?
Did you wear ordinary pjs in hospital, and did the waistband bother you across the scar?
When did you start regular showers?
Are you able to wash your hair in the shower?

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'm sure there'll be more though!

Thanks heaps, Debbe.

1) Yes, still only sleeping on my back with pillows under my knees. I try my sides occasionally, but it's just not comfy for me.

2) Yes, still log rolling to get in and out of bed. Once I got home, I needed help with getting in and out of bed for a week or so. After that I could do it on my own and amazed my family.

3) Even though I brought PJ's for the hospital, I just wore 2 hospital gowns, one forward, and one backward the whole time. I just didn't care about clothes, and it was just so much easier that way. Plus I had my period for a few days after surgery and didn't care if I got the hospital stuff messed up. :)

4) When I got home, I used the shower chair for 2 weeks with my husband's help. After that, I started taking regular stand up showers, with hubby in the room for the first few times just to make sure I was ok. I'm just fine now and love the feeling of hot water running on my back.

5) I started washing my hair in the shower on my own as soon as I started stand up showers. It's no problem. As a matter of fact, I think I started washing my hair myself towards the end of the shower chair era. :)

Feel free to ask any more questions.

JenniferG
12-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi Debbe, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you about your answers. I must have missed this thread at the time and I went looking for it tonight because I was still wondering about those questions. Thanks for taking the time to answer each one in detail! :)

LynnMarie74
12-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi Debbe, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you about your answers. I must have missed this thread at the time and I went looking for it tonight because I was still wondering about those questions. Thanks for taking the time to answer each one in detail! :)

Those were good questions.....some of which I was wondering as well....especially the sleeping one. I love curling up into a ball every night and getting all snuggley. Guess we should get all the enjoyment out of that now huh? I dont mind sleeping on my back now, but thats only because I have a choice! lol Oh well, we will have to see how it goes.

Debbe - Im a daily shower taker.....how did u deal w/the lack of showers or baths while in the hospital. I know that will drive me nuts...but again, I may not care once Im there huh? lol:rolleyes:

debbei
12-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Debbe - Im a daily shower taker.....how did u deal w/the lack of showers or baths while in the hospital. I know that will drive me nuts...but again, I may not care once Im there huh? lol:rolleyes:

LynneMarie,

I had a private nurse at night in the hospital, and every morning she gave me a sponge bath in bed. I'm a daily shower taker as well, but believe it or not that did feel very good and I felt 'cleaner' than not having it at all. It was a thrill to come home and the very next day take a shower (in the seat).