Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Restrictions for kids... the straight dope

from one surgeon at least.

The hardware is such that in fact 95% of kids do NOT need any physical restrictions. There is NO increased risk of pseudoarthrosis or hardware breakage in the 95% of unrestricted kids over and above restricted kids.

The reason he restricts ALL kids for at least eight months is because he doesn't know ahead of time who the 5% who will have a problem without restrictions are. And he said he considers the need for a revision on a kid a catastrophic situation. I assume he means by that that it's harder to revise than to get it right in the first pace but he may just mean that there is no excuse for it... just restrict the kid. I'm guessing here.

So everyone gets restricted. Absolutely amazing.

He was aware a few other surgeons do not restrict and I didn't get the sense he thought that was out to lunch () I guess because of the 95% of kids who do NOT need restrictions. But clearly they are playing the odds, albeit very good odds, in their favor.

He said the issue is a problem with the hardware (screw coming loose or out, rod breakage, etc.). But I still think it comes back to "so what" if a screw comes loose or a rod breaks? The "so what" seems to be that losing hardware integrity increases the chances of a pseudarthrosis. Or maybe hardware floating around is dangerous per se. I didn't pursue it.

Amazing.

I'll make a separate post on Savannah's 7.5 month post-op visit in the Spinecor thread.

Just kidding. I'll put it here in the Surgery section.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 11-10-2008, 06:03 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    The "so what" seems to be that losing hardware integrity increases the chances of a pseudarthrosis.
    what is pseudartherosis?

and i wonder what the kids do when they arent restricted?! Dont they hurt themselves?
    -Marissa-
    28 degrees diagnosed summer '05
    boston brace? never wore it.
    (60 degrees) told surgery was needed.
    Pre-op = 67 degrees (5'2")
    Post-op = 24 degrees (5'4")
    FUSED *T3-L1*

Comment

Originally posted by curveof27 View Post
      what is pseudartherosis?

and i wonder what the kids do when they arent restricted?! Dont they hurt themselves?
      Pseudoarthrosis means "false joint." It is when two or more vertebrae in the fused area fail to fuse. The point is to have a solid block spine with no internal movement.

In re what do kids do who aren't restricted, I don't know but the hardware is such that they aren't hindering the fusion process in the vast majority of kids apparently.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Does anyone know if it hurts when 2 or more vertabraes don't fuse together? Is it a must to have them go in to refuse? and if you choose not to have them refused, what could happen?
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment