Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery with reduced lung capacity

Hi everyone,

Is anyone able to share with me their experiences of having had surgery with a significantly reduced lung capacity? My daughter is facing surgery very soon and we have a final visit with the anaesthetist to determine the risks and options. So any information would be appreciated. Specifically, my questions are:
    * what risks did the anaesthetist discuss with you
    * how did this impact on post-op recovery
    * did you have a tracheotomy or any other instrument/op to assist with breathing afterward
    * did your lung capacity increase (presumably after relief from correction of the spinal cord)

Any other information would be really appreciated.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and info with me.

Lisa
    Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Hi again, Lisa.

I just had another rambling all ready to go then lost it! I hope this slightly shorter version still makes sense...

Before my first fusion (T3-L3), I definitely had lung capacity issues, which were resolved post-op. I'm pretty fuzzy on details, but after one (the first??) or both of my fusions, I was on a ventilator post-op (aka. respirator, aka. "intubated" - breathing tube runs to lungs via mouth > trachea > bronchi > etc., different from a tracheotomy, which is usually only used when intubation is impossible). Once I was conscious enough to notice it & I was also breathing ok on my own, the tube was pulled out & it was time to practice, Practice, PRACTICE the breathing exercises I was given. I think I was on an oxygen mask, then nose prongs for a few days afterward, too. As far as I know, this wasn't due to particular surgical complications - just that some analgesic & anaesthetic drugs act to depress (inhibit) some processes like breathing. I'm not sure whether my pre-op lung capacity issues played in to it or not.

With my upcoming fusion, my surgeon has already said I'll be ventilated for at least a day, maybe more, depending on how well I'm doing.

A few things you & your daughter might like to know in advance, if your she ends up down this route.....

a) Being on a respirator does NOT hurt - just feels a bit funny to have something else breathing for you!
    b) Even though a ventilator is sometimes called "life support", its post-op use is quite different to the "limbo maybe-she'll-survive-maybe-she-won't" type of thing easily associated with the life support term. It's usually a very temporary measure, just until the lungs are recovered enough, anaesthetic is worn off a little better, & pain levels are controlled enough for deep breaths. The lungs are still working ok, just taking a rest & the ventilator ensures enough oxygen is getting to the wound to heal well.
    c) Taking the tubing out isn't particularly comfy & might leave a slightly sore throat - but the removal does NOT hurt; again, just feels a bit odd.

I hope this helps a little. Again, best of luck to your daughter - & to you. I'm sure you'll both do great. Take care

Comment

Hi Lisa

My daughter had reduced lung capacity going into surgery, although I don't think it was as significant as your daughters. If I recall, it was about 20% reduced. They had her do the breathing exercises with an incentive spirometer several weeks before surgery then after surgery, she had respiratory therapy every 6 hours during her entire hospital stay. After she was discharged, she again had to use the incentive spirometer at home for another week or so.

The greatest risk is the developement of pneumonia after surgery.

They didn't bother to do any lung capacity testing after surgery, but I'm sure there's some improvement because her rib cage is so uniform now compared to before.

Comment

20%reduced

My respiratory capacity was reduced by 30% at age 60 before my revision.

I did fine with no complications.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
        X