Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/P surgery--all at once or in 2 stages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/P surgery--all at once or in 2 stages?

I'm curious if others have had A/P fusion all in one surgery as mine will be. I seem to be reading a lot about people who had one and then, soon after, the other. Isn't it hard on the body to go through 2 surgeries? Or is it harder to do one long one?
    Lisa MS
    age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
    Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
    Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
    Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

I had two four-hour surgeries back-to-back (ha-ha) with a one-hour "coffee break" inbetween, as Dr. Boachie joked. The total surgery time was 9 hours. I was in ICU and on a respirator for about 12 hours post-op, and dangling my feet over the side of the bed shortly after that. I was glad to have gotten it all over with at once -- I can't imagine having to partially recover from one stage only to face another soon after.

It all depends on the complexity of the correction and how long you're projected to be under anaesthesia. They don't like to keep you under TOO long.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

In my case it would have been too much at one time. My first surgery was 10 hours. I haven't even asked how long the one Monday will be. I am so sad- believe it or not, I have had 2 uncles die now with a funeral on each of my surgery days. What would be the odds- 1 in a million? I know both of them would say- "honey, you have suffered so long, you get the surgeries done" but this is just killing me!!!!
      Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
      Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
      Age 54
      T10 to Sacrum
      Curve 65 degrees
      Very straight now!!!

Comment

Hi Lisa...

I had the two surgeries performed in one day, with a total of about 11-1/2 hours of surgery. I had a rough time of it, and was on a respirator for more than 4 days. I did it all on one day because I feared that I would chicken out of having the second surgery. I think if I had to do it over again, I would opt for the surgeries on separate days.

Best of luck with your surgeries.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Lisa

My first surgery (anterior) was on June 26, 2007 and it was 8 hours. My second surgery (posterior) was on June 27th and it was 10 hours BUT I was bleeding too much so the dr couldn't finish the procedure. Therefore, with only some screws and being stapled, he had to operate a third time July 3rd, which was another 10 hours.

From the 27th to the 3rd were the longest days of my life just thinking that I have to go through this and HOPING I don't bleed too much.

The dr didn't want me to be under anaesthesia for more than 10 hrs so he did it in 3 stages. I guess if the procedures can be done within 10 hours (depending on the complexity of the correction) why not have in one stage.

Best of luck to you
          Maria

Comment

Hi Lisa,
            My surgery #1 (posterior) was 12 hours and 15 days later surgery #2 (anterior) was 7 hours. My Doctor said that the amount of bleeding has a lot to do with it and all of the monitoring they do helps them determine how much the individual can tolerate. I wasn't the least bit fearful before surgery #2 as I felt very safe and knew I was in the best of hands. I did freak out a little bit when one of the Doctors at the rehab hospital where I was recovering from surgery #1 asked me if I was having three operations. I said I wasn't informed of that and hoped it wasn't going to happen that way. Thankfully it didn't. Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Nancy Joy, I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncles. Apart from anythnig else, you have enough to deal with. Good luck with your surgery on Monday, I will be thinking of you and waiting to hear about your recovery, which hopefully, will be as strong as your first. *hugs*

My goodness Maria, you've been in the wars. What long surgeries you've had. Can I ask what you had done? And how were your recoveries?

My surgeon predicted 5 hours for me and I'm being fused T5 - S1. Does this sound a bit optomistic?
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
                In my case it would have been too much at one time. My first surgery was 10 hours. I haven't even asked how long the one Monday will be. I am so sad- believe it or not, I have had 2 uncles die now with a funeral on each of my surgery days. What would be the odds- 1 in a million? I know both of them would say- "honey, you have suffered so long, you get the surgeries done" but this is just killing me!!!!
                Nancy Joy,

I am so sorry to hear about both your uncles passing so close to your surgeries. Good luck to you on Monday, you will be in my thoughts.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Jennifer,
                  I don't think 5 hours is too optomistic unless you have severe stenosis in some of your vertebrae spaces. It is the separation of the vertebrae, grinding away bone that is impinging on nerves and untangling and releasing the nerves without damaging them that takes so much time and becomes such a blood surgery.
                  Nancy Joy,
                  I will be praying for you tonight and tomorrow as you have your second surgery. The recovery from that should not be as difficult as the recovery from the posterior surgery. I am also sorry about your uncles. We were in Seattle this summer for my husbands 50th class reunion when he developed a torn retina. We had to return home to get it repaired before we were able to see his Uncle in Olympia,WA who was dying of Multiple Myeloma, so we understand how you feel. Stay strong for yourself right now. Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks for that information, Sally.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Nancy Joy,

My sympathy for losing your uncles, especially at such a personally difficult time. I just know you will do great with this surgery and recovery - but goodluck all the same!

Another one thinking of you Take care.

Comment

A/P Surgery

My A/P surgery was done in one day. The anterior part took 6 hours, and then the posterior was 2 hours. I think it depends on the age, and how the patient handles the first part of the surgery. I was told that the intention was to have mine done all in one day, but was told there was no guarantee. I was relieved to have had it done all in one shot b/c the recovery is better as opposed to the body going through two separate surgeries and then having to recover.
                        Heather
                        Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                        Anterior/posterior surgery
                        Fused T-11 to L-5
                        Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                        Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                        Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                        Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied. My surgeon is estimating 8 to 10 hours for the whole thing, and I don't have any stenosis and my spine is quite flexible since I've done yoga for years (not anymore, after the surgery). So maybe it will not take so long.

Nancy Joy, I'm so sorry to hear about your uncles. That must have been very hard. I will be thinking about you all day tomorrow, praying for the best.
                          Lisa MS
                          age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
                          Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
                          Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
                          Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

My posterior surgery lasted 12 hours. That included osteotemies and a laminectomy. My 80 degree curve was corrected to about 35 degrees and I’m happy with that. Originally, my surgeon recommended A/P and then he changed his mind to posterior because he felt he could accomplish what he wanted to with just posterior. In hindsight, I’m glad he did. Admittedly, this surgery was very rough on me and I’m not sure I could have handled two major surgeries within one week. The younger you are, the easier it is on you and the surgeon.

Chris

Comment

Lisa,

I had two surgeries, one was 9 hours, the other 8 hours. They were a week apart.

Nancy Joy,

I'm very sorry to hear about your uncles.
                              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                              Still have 57 degree curve
                              2 Harrington rods
                              Luque method used
                              Dr David Bradford
                              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                              Preop xray (with brace on)
                              Postop xray

Comment

Working...
                              X