View Full Version : Now, I just have to schedule it

11-06-2008, 08:45 PM
What a day! Today, I met with my orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed/braced me. After looking at x-rays and discussing all of the pain I've been in, he left the option up to me. My curve is at 40 degrees and has a painful rotation. The rotation and the apprx. 10 degree progression since bracing, is what's been responsible for my feeling like my shoulder blade is going to pop out of my skin. Had I not been having all of the pains I described to him, he wouldn't have recommended the surgery. However, the shoulder blade and the awful pain after even attempting to jog/run, was enough for him to tell me to seriously consider it.

Because of the progression I've had so far, it's unlikely that it wil stop progressing. I've already had a lengthy discussion with my mom and will talk with my dad as soon as he gets home. I'm almost positive that I want to do it. All the pain I've been in the last couple months has me scared to let it progress any further.

Next up, calling his P.A. to schedule the surgery and all the wonderful tests.

What was your biggest reason for going through with surgery?

11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Definitely the progression was my primary reason...and what lay ahead if I didn't do anything about it. Secondly, the possibility of a cosmetic improvement. Thirdly, the small amount of pain I get (occasionally.)

11-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Pain and the sudden side shift to the right, ribs resting on pelvic bone.

11-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Dear AC,

My reasons are similar to many others--the primary one being that my curve is progressing faster as time goes on. My surgeon says it's like the leaning tower of Pisa--the further it leans, the faster it falls. So I'm the leaning tower of Lisa. I do yoga and back exercises that my chiro gave me to keep my core strength up (I have MS too, so it's important to take care of myself). My surgeon said that being so flexible (on side-bending x-rays) has helped me to get this far without much pain, but ironically it means that the curve didn't "freeze up" and stabilize. Being this flexible helps it to progress faster. Sigh.

I'm in Colorado too--work in Denver & live in the foothills. Would you like to talk or maybe even meet? Send me a PM if you want my phone number. My surgery's coming up soon--Nov 17th at Lutheran--so we'll have to talk soon.

I wish you the best. I think we are both making the right decision to do this. Just look at all the people here who say they are glad they did it.;)

I'll be praying for you, as I am for so many others on this forum.

11-07-2008, 02:18 AM
Hi AC,

I think it's really BRAVE and SMART of you to take your health seriously and as your own responsibility. You're the one who has to live in the skin you're in. Whether you decide to go for the surgery or not, I really hope you find a solution to your pain & other probs. It does sound like surgery could be a good option. Best of luck to you :)

My biggest reasons....

1st time (T3-L3ish) - rapid progression, age (12yrs), curve size (65 deg or so), high risk that progression posed to my heart & lungs, & pain (not too bad, but was glad when it cleared up, post-op).

2nd time (L3ish-pelvis) - rapid progression, age (14yrs), curve size (60-something), pain, possibility that lumbar movement would jeopardise the previous fusion.

3rd time (now - revision of surgery #2) - rapid progression (75 deg, left ribcage sitting on pelvis - stable but OUCH, feels like a cheese-grater!), increasing rotation (still going), PAIN, & although I've not spoken with my surgeon about it, I feel that my left lung & other left-sided innards are being compressed due to short torso height (from the 2 x pre-pubertal spinal fusions).

Again, goodluck with whichever route you take. We'll all be here a-cheering you on :D

Take care.