Any other runners out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other runners out there?

I am a little more than 4 months post op and am dying to get back into my running routine. I was running around 25 miles a week before surgery. Right now my doctor has allowed me to use the eliptical, walk on the treadmill, light weights, etc, but I am really anxious to get back running. At my follow up appointment (it was in september) Dr. Lenke told me that although his little guide that I given on what I can do when after surgery says that I can jog at 4 months, he wants me to wait until after the 1st of the year. That's 6 months!!! Did anyone else have to wait that long? Right now I am doing around 4.5 miles each workout on the eliptical and treadmill and it doesn't bother me at all, in fact it's helping me sleep better at night. HELP!!!
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

the doc. Told me 2 wait 6months

Comment

Abbie,

How fabulous that you're able to do your other exercises already. I can't wait till they let me get back to my treadill, although I like to walk fast on it, not run. I'm not allowed back to the treadmill at least untill my 6 week appointment next month.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My surgeon told me it was ok to run at 4.5 months. I've only gone running once and it was a very short distance. It wasn't painful but I was extremely slow. It reminded me of when I physically could only walk a certain speed for the first 2-3 months after my surgery no matter how hard I tried.
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees
        December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2
        Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Originally posted by amae28 View Post
          I am a little more than 4 months post op and am dying to get back into my running routine. I was running around 25 miles a week before surgery. Right now my doctor has allowed me to use the eliptical, walk on the treadmill, light weights, etc, but I am really anxious to get back running. At my follow up appointment (it was in september) Dr. Lenke told me that although his little guide that I given on what I can do when after surgery says that I can jog at 4 months, he wants me to wait until after the 1st of the year. That's 6 months!!! Did anyone else have to wait that long? Right now I am doing around 4.5 miles each workout on the eliptical and treadmill and it doesn't bother me at all, in fact it's helping me sleep better at night. HELP!!!
          Just another observation at the differences in surgeons ... again - LOL.

Hanson did his fellowship under Lenke, and told me (much to the shock of many here) that I could run at 2 months.

Did I? HELL no - laff ... I hate to run for the simple sake of running. I always say about softball "I can make a single out of a triple ANY day ;-)".

Actually, Abbie, MOST people (adults) have to wait close to a year for any impact sport - and running qualifies.

I'm older than you (*much*), but perhaps our heights (and your missing vertebrae/different fusion area) are a factor/s in our differences ...

Trust an elder who has had knee and ankle reconstructs, eliptical is SO much easier on you - and your joints will thank you later. Try it for now, and wait 'til Lenke gives the OK to running.

Even though I'm playing ball - running *and* sliding since 7 months post-op (and doing 500+ balls in the cage at a time) - I feel the impact from running. I'm sure it's because there's less muscle below (than before ... for now) to absorb the shock.

Hang in there and keep the low impact for now. As long as you're doing eliptical you won't lose anything. You'll find your stride is different when you start running again, anyway, I think. Just keep your quads/hams/calves toned, and your flexors and piriformis' loose.

When you're released, you'll be ready and physically toned to run. Hang in there, kiddo.

Best regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam- what is good for keeping the piriformis loose? That muscle was my biggest problem before surgery on my left and I am really hoping it is solved although my buttock area is so numb yet I can't gauge for sure. Any stretches from PT did not work anymore and any activity kicked it up. Any suggestions would be great for future reference.

Nancy
            Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
            Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
            Age 54
            T10 to Sacrum
            Curve 65 degrees
            Very straight now!!!

Comment

You can't ever really get it as good as a massage therapist, but here's a good video on self myofascial release for the piriformis. It does help!

Regards,
              Pam
              Last edited by txmarinemom; 11-07-2008, 07:28 PM. Reason: clarification.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Thank you so much!!! I have the foam roller but they had me using it entirely differently. When I can bend my legs like that (LOL) I will give this a try. What we help each other with here!!

Nancy
                Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                Age 54
                T10 to Sacrum
                Curve 65 degrees
                Very straight now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
                  Thank you so much!!! I have the foam roller but they had me using it entirely differently. When I can bend my legs like that (LOL) I will give this a try.
                  Yep ... I should have mentioned, check with your PT/doctor and make sure it's safe for you. I forget sometimes (with my fusion ending at L1) that some of you are a bit more "flexibility challenged".

And especially if you're a newer pre-op still on BLT restrictions you'd definitely need to check ... as in don't try this at home kids! (unless your doc says okay ;-)

Maybe another option until you *can* do this is have a massage therapist work them for you. I went for my first post-op massage (90 minutes ... ahhhhh) a few weeks ago, and when he started working my piriformis? OMG. Chandelier syndrome!! It was SO tight. He focused on my lumbar area along with it, and I am sooooooooo much more loose. He even used his forearm along my rods to work the erectors (the force was distributed along all my ribs) and it was ~heavenly~. I wish I could go every week!

Regards,
                  Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                  X