Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sharing non-scoli news with my friends...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharing non-scoli news with my friends...

Hi everyone! I wish I could still post as much as I used to (yeah, I know some of you may be rolling your eyes and thinking other thoughts...) but I am so tired out after my day's work and my time is so much more limited. I READ the forum, so I keep up with what's happening... I just don't post very much anymore. I feel so connected with so many of you-- shoot, you're my scoli bros and sisses, so I wanted to share some fun/exciting news with you. I mentioned awhile back that my youngest daughter is getting married next June. Recently I found out that we will have two tiny guests at the wedding too. My other two daughters are both expecting, next May-- just one week apart from each other. They have been married 7.5 and 4.5 years, so I am very ready and eager to be a grandma! Just pray for me in May and June. I will probably be a basket case with the busyness-- plus with the fact that I won't be able to go see one of them because of the distance and with me working...

Now, here's the scoli connection if you wanted one. One of the main reasons I went ahead with the surgery was with the hopes that it would help me be able to hold any grandkids that should come my way. I'll have had two years of recovery by then, so I'm thinking this will work out just fine. Maybe some of you older ones with long fusions can let me know how it has worked out for you. But I'll be content even if I just sit and hold those precious bundles. Also, when I figured out the "when" for my surgery, I was thinking I'd have at least a year and probably two before this wedding, and that worked out too. The Lord is good!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Susie

A that is great news, congratulations. My sister and I had kids 4 days apart...it was quite fun.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

Susie, a HUGE, GINORMOUS CONGRATS to you & your daughters (& sons-in-law)!

I'm sure you'll have no trouble holding the little bundles...in fact, the difficulty may be in handing them back

All the very best to you all for a happy wedding and safe deliveries of 2 healthy, beautiful bubs.

Thank-you for sharing - and for staying in touch when you can even though you've already had the surgery. Whether you post a lot or we just see your name appear online now & again, we know you're thinking of everyone here, & it's appreciated

You take care - & congrats to you all again! Best of wishes

Comment

Hi Susie
        Congratulations on this amazing news! A wedding and 2 grandchildren - what a year 2009 will be for you and your family.

btw I had my daughter just 6 weeks after my sister had her daughter - both cousins are very close which is lovely.

Its lovely to read your posts - you have been so kind and supportive not just to me but to many on this site. I wish you all the best for some busy but great times to come...
        Louisse
        Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Oh Susie*Bee~~~
          Did you hit a connection with me! Congrats on the babies coming!!!! What a rush you will be having. I am very anxious for someone to answer the question of holding, etc. I have said for years I hoped I would be able to take care of grandchildren and where I have been the last couple of years that became a definite "no". If anyone out there can let us know what to expect, that would be terrific!!!!!

Nancy
          Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
          Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
          Age 54
          T10 to Sacrum
          Curve 65 degrees
          Very straight now!!!

Comment

Hi Susie,
            What wonderful news. Seeing your new grandchild for the first time is the most amazing feeling in the world. And you will have that feeling X 2. And then the wedding. I am so happy for you. You are being blessed and you have been a blessing to many of us on this forum. Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Congrats Suzie. Someone once told me that you never truly fall in love until you have your first grandchild in your arms. I think that is very true. The love you are about to know will be stronger and different from any other love you've known. It is magical. My grandaughters (3, 2 and 4 months) are the light of my life.

I struggled holding them as babies, even sitting. It's that "pulling forward" that causes problems with my back. But my two elder girls I can easily carry around on my back, like baby koala bears, and they love it. I hardly feel their weight on my back, though I can't tell you why that is so.

What a 2009 you are about to have Suzie! Enjoy it to the max!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Oh Susie!!!!!! That's so wonderful!!!!

I agree with Jennifer.... there's no love like it on earth! And to have 2 at once... wow... what a blessing!

I have 3 grands.... 2 girls aged 1 and 3.... and a little boy age 2.... so they are 1,2, & 3...lol. I had my first surgery when the first one was just a few weeks old... so she has always known that my back is not as strong as other peoples... She and the grandson have learned that i sit down and then they climb into my lap... They hold my hand and walk along with me...

The 1 yr old, however, thinks i'm supposed to hold her at all times...lol. When she was younger, i could do the 'football' hold on her and walk with her tucked under my arm on her tummy. That didn't hurt to carry her that way. Now that she's too big for that, I have lots of trouble carrying her in front of me. She just beginning to walk, so maybe i won't have to much longer.

Every now and then the oldest will ask, "NayNay, does your back hurt?" and i'll say "yeah." She says, "Let me see it." I'll show her my scar and she says..."Oh, NayNay, your back DOES hurt!!! Let me kiss it and make it better!" And it does!!!! It's that magic-grandchild thing....

Buy a rocking chair with nice wide arms.... Makes for perfect cuddling and story reading! You can fit them both in at the same time....

Comment

Congrats Susie! This is great news! I know my mother has had nothing but joy from her grandchildren. I know she misses them when they were tiny, but in a few years she is probably going to be a great gramma. Something she will be extremely happy with.

There is something very special about babies, I'm glad you'll have a great 2009 with two babies and a wedding.

Brad
                  Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                  Still have 57 degree curve
                  2 Harrington rods
                  Luque method used
                  Dr David Bradford
                  Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                  Preop xray (with brace on)
                  Postop xray

Comment

Susie,

Congratulations to you! How exciting that they will be arriving so close together. You will be such a fantastic grandma!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Aren't you all just as wonderful as I knew?!!! Thanks so much for all the delightful responses and suggestions. Yes, I'll have a great year! Hugs, Susie
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Susie,

Want to add my congrats also. Wow, two babies in May! What great news for you. I'm a May baby myself. Will be looking forward to your post about their birth dates.

All the best,

Chris

Comment

Susie,

What great news! Congratulations to you - best wishes to you and your expanding family Thanks for sharing, keep us posted when you can -

Take care,
                          Renee

Comment

Susie ...

All the best to the health of your daughters and your grandkids in the oven .

How funny I'm 40 and may not be far behind you posting the same news (I hope it's a while, but my 21 year old Marine is engaged). He swears no wedding until he's back Stateside (at least 18 months ...).

Best regards,
                            Pam
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

How nice that you'll be a young(ish) grandma, Susie. Keep up with your PT exercises so you can chase after the little ones!
                              Last edited by Singer; 11-07-2008, 07:32 AM.
                              Chris
                              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                              X