PDA

View Full Version : sharing non-scoli news with my friends...

Susie*Bee
11-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone! I wish I could still post as much as I used to (yeah, I know some of you may be rolling your eyes and thinking other thoughts...) but I am so tired out after my day's work and my time is so much more limited. I READ the forum, so I keep up with what's happening... I just don't post very much anymore. I feel so connected with so many of you-- shoot, you're my scoli bros and sisses, so I wanted to share some fun/exciting news with you. I mentioned awhile back that my youngest daughter is getting married next June. Recently I found out that we will have two tiny guests at the wedding too. My other two daughters are both expecting, next May-- just one week apart from each other. They have been married 7.5 and 4.5 years, so I am very ready and eager to be a grandma! :D Just pray for me in May and June. :eek: I will probably be a basket case with the busyness-- plus with the fact that I won't be able to go see one of them because of the distance and with me working... :(

Now, here's the scoli connection if you wanted one. :p One of the main reasons I went ahead with the surgery was with the hopes that it would help me be able to hold any grandkids that should come my way. I'll have had two years of recovery by then, so I'm thinking this will work out just fine. :) Maybe some of you older ones with long fusions can let me know how it has worked out for you. But I'll be content even if I just sit and hold those precious bundles. ;) Also, when I figured out the "when" for my surgery, I was thinking I'd have at least a year and probably two before this wedding, and that worked out too. The Lord is good! :)

sccrm08
11-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Susie

A that is great news, congratulations. My sister and I had kids 4 days apart...it was quite fun.

discombobulated
11-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Susie, a HUGE, GINORMOUS CONGRATS to you & your daughters (& sons-in-law)!

I'm sure you'll have no trouble holding the little bundles...in fact, the difficulty may be in handing them back ;)

All the very best to you all for a happy wedding and safe deliveries of 2 healthy, beautiful bubs.

Thank-you for sharing - and for staying in touch when you can even though you've already had the surgery. Whether you post a lot or we just see your name appear online now & again, we know you're thinking of everyone here, & it's appreciated :)

You take care - & congrats to you all again! Best of wishes :)

Louisse
11-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Susie
Congratulations on this amazing news! A wedding and 2 grandchildren - what a year 2009 will be for you and your family.

btw I had my daughter just 6 weeks after my sister had her daughter - both cousins are very close which is lovely.

Its lovely to read your posts - you have been so kind and supportive not just to me but to many on this site. I wish you all the best for some busy but great times to come...
Louisse

Nancy Joy
11-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Oh Susie*Bee~~~
Did you hit a connection with me! Congrats on the babies coming!!!! What a rush you will be having. I am very anxious for someone to answer the question of holding, etc. I have said for years I hoped I would be able to take care of grandchildren and where I have been the last couple of years that became a definite "no". If anyone out there can let us know what to expect, that would be terrific!!!!!

Nancy

loves to skate
11-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi Susie,
What wonderful news. Seeing your new grandchild for the first time is the most amazing feeling in the world. And you will have that feeling X 2. And then the wedding. I am so happy for you. You are being blessed and you have been a blessing to many of us on this forum. Sally

JenniferG
11-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Congrats Suzie. Someone once told me that you never truly fall in love until you have your first grandchild in your arms. I think that is very true. The love you are about to know will be stronger and different from any other love you've known. It is magical. My grandaughters (3, 2 and 4 months) are the light of my life.

I struggled holding them as babies, even sitting. It's that "pulling forward" that causes problems with my back. But my two elder girls I can easily carry around on my back, like baby koala bears, and they love it. I hardly feel their weight on my back, though I can't tell you why that is so.

What a 2009 you are about to have Suzie! Enjoy it to the max!

JoAnn5
11-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Oh Susie!!!!!! That's so wonderful!!!!

I agree with Jennifer.... there's no love like it on earth! And to have 2 at once... wow... what a blessing!

I have 3 grands.... 2 girls aged 1 and 3.... and a little boy age 2.... so they are 1,2, & 3...lol. I had my first surgery when the first one was just a few weeks old... so she has always known that my back is not as strong as other peoples... She and the grandson have learned that i sit down and then they climb into my lap... They hold my hand and walk along with me...

The 1 yr old, however, thinks i'm supposed to hold her at all times...lol. When she was younger, i could do the 'football' hold on her and walk with her tucked under my arm on her tummy. That didn't hurt to carry her that way. Now that she's too big for that, I have lots of trouble carrying her in front of me. She just beginning to walk, so maybe i won't have to much longer.

Every now and then the oldest will ask, "NayNay, does your back hurt?" and i'll say "yeah." She says, "Let me see it." I'll show her my scar and she says..."Oh, NayNay, your back DOES hurt!!! Let me kiss it and make it better!" And it does!!!! It's that magic-grandchild thing....

Buy a rocking chair with nice wide arms.... Makes for perfect cuddling and story reading! You can fit them both in at the same time.... :D

Qikdraw
11-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Congrats Susie! This is great news! I know my mother has had nothing but joy from her grandchildren. I know she misses them when they were tiny, but in a few years she is probably going to be a great gramma. Something she will be extremely happy with. :D

There is something very special about babies, I'm glad you'll have a great 2009 with two babies and a wedding. :D

Brad

debbei
11-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Susie,

Congratulations to you! How exciting that they will be arriving so close together. You will be such a fantastic grandma!!

Susie*Bee
11-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Aren't you all just as wonderful as I knew?!!! Thanks so much for all the delightful responses and suggestions. Yes, I'll have a great year! :D Hugs, Susie

CHRIS WBS
11-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Susie,

Want to add my congrats also. Wow, two babies in May! What great news for you. I'm a May baby myself. Will be looking forward to your post about their birth dates.

All the best,

Chris

flowerpower
11-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Susie,

What great news! Congratulations to you - best wishes to you and your expanding family:) Thanks for sharing, keep us posted when you can -

Take care,
Renee

txmarinemom
11-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Susie ...

All the best to the health of your daughters and your grandkids in the oven :).

How funny I'm 40 and may not be far behind you posting the same news (I hope it's a while, but my 21 year old Marine is engaged). He swears no wedding until he's back Stateside (at least 18 months ...).

Best regards,
Pam

Singer
11-07-2008, 07:27 AM
How nice that you'll be a young(ish) grandma, Susie. Keep up with your PT exercises so you can chase after the little ones!

Susie*Bee
11-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Chris-- you about had me in stitches laughing! I am NOT a young grandma-to-be! :D Pam would be a young grandma. A whole generation could fit in in-between-- I had my kids late (first at 27, last at 35) and they are starting later too-- 28 and 30. When I had my last one, there was a real grandma that was younger than I was-- now that's young! :eek:

I feel sooooo guilty about PT exercises. :( You know what they say about good intentions. And I still have them, thinking one of these days I'll have more oomph. I'm still at the state where I come home exhausted from school and have to lie down for awhile and take it easy in the evening... Hopefully one of these days I'll have more energy. It would be sooooo different if I had a desk job, or at least one not quite so active.

Congrats, Pam, for your good news too.

Renee-- I'm sure I'll let you all know when the little bundles of joy "arrive"-- just a lot of growing to do in the meantime. (I mean them, not me... I still have great intentions of losing some weight by then!) ;) I am so terribly jealous of those who struggle to gain, although they have problems too. I was fascinated awhile back by the thread that went into what to eat to gain. I would gain 10 lbs. a week if I ate like that. :eek: Metabolism is such a strange creature!

txmarinemom
11-07-2008, 03:09 PM
... Pam would be a young grandma.

Yeah, but Pam isn't READY to be a grandma. I'll do like a friend of mine did and make the kiddos call me "Glamma" - LOL! And thanks for the congrats ... we'll see if they stick to the "not until he's back Stateside" plan. I hope so!

... I feel sooooo guilty about PT exercises. :( You know what they say about good intentions. And I still have them, thinking one of these days I'll have more oomph. I'm still at the state where I come home exhausted from school and have to lie down for awhile and take it easy in the evening... Hopefully one of these days I'll have more energy. It would be sooooo different if I had a desk job, or at least one not quite so active.

Don't be too hard on yourself: After recovery from major surgery, and a year off, it'll just take a while to build your stamina back up. And with the activity level of your job, you could kind of say it *is* PT :-).

... I still have great intentions of losing some weight by then ...

Again, the activity level of your job - and just being active again in general - could be the magic thing that kick starts your metabolism. Just think ... you HAVE to be burning tons of calories to be that tired when you get home, right?

Regards,
Pam

Kitty
11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
HI there susie Bee

CONGRATULATIONS :):) SO very happy for you. May you have lots of joy holding those bubs and watching them grow.

Well done.

Love Lisa

Susie*Bee
11-16-2008, 12:44 PM
It's been bugging me all week that there was a thread I needed to post on, and I couldn't remember... and here it was, the one I started last weekend. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all those warm thoughts and well wishes. Yes, Lisa, I will enjoy those "bubs" immensely! And now I have a new word in my vocabulary, as I've never heard that term before! :) Is this a "down under" word-- or where all are they called bubs??? :confused:

Pam-- thank you for your encouraging words. Yes, I am getting better-- most of the time I think so anyway, but I definitely have my ups and downs. This is long and hard. It's not that I haven't worked at it either. I was so diligent from November-August, doing my PT almost every day for 1.5-2 hours. I am strong in some ways, but the surgery really zapped me and I just can't regain my total strength. I have always been strong, so this is frustrating. Yes, I get a pretty good workout at school, but it is different than the PT, so I am sad about not doing it. Endurance walking and having strong arms is not the same as building power strength with weights and a fast (for me) workout on the treadmill and doing squats on the total gym. I am losing some of the power strength I had gained, even if I am building up in the area of endurance.

As for losing weight, do not hold your breath. Even my doctor has explained to me that it's just a very difficult battle. I try hard, but it doesn't want to happen. For almost a year now I have had either a breakfast cookie, a bowl of Special K and skim milk or some cream of wheat for breakfast. A serving of fresh fruit and a non-fat yogurt at lunch, with one serving size of pretzels or sometimes one graham cracker with a T of peanut butter, and a veggie or one serving of crackers for an afternoon snack. I have a small but healthy supper with half a glass of skim milk, a glass of OJ in the evening and a custard bowl sized serving of a light ice cream... Occasionally I have a small splurge of a treat, but not very often. I have lost 2 lbs. in 9 months. I, too, hoped that when I went back to work and got busier things would change, but they haven't. My body adjusts to whatever I do and whatever I eat. I have a very efficient metabolism. My doctor said if we were back in the cave age, I would be a survivor and he-- and other people with faster metabolisms, would be in trouble. I recently gave up my lunch time pretzels and my evening ice cream, so I am hoping for some luck. But it's also no fun at all to never get to eat anything that is a tasty treat. I have given up baking, which I love to do. There isn't much more that I can do, but hopefully I will get some more weight off eventually. I am the eternal optimist but also fighting the discouraged realist side of me. As I said before, I am an oddball in this way. This is why I gained 8 lbs. in the hospital even though I had an ileus for 5 days-- and why, when I was dreadfully ill in my mid 30s with the flu and was bedridden and didn't eat any food for 10 days, I only lost 2 lbs. I'm just going into this so some of you thin people will realize that all overweight people are not that way from overeating. Some of us have a real problem with slow metabolisms and very fuel efficient bodies. Nothing I've ever tried has ever "kick-started" my metabolism. I am leery of, and will not try any of those medications that are controversial, so that is out. Thanks for the good thoughts anyway. I'm still trying. :)

Plump or not, I will be a good grandma-- and I AM ready for that. :D

Susie*Bee
11-16-2008, 02:52 PM
BTW-- I don't want anyone to think I am unhappy with my surgery. I am still thrilled! I was going nowhere but worse, as they say. I am stabilized, the old "collapsing spine" feeling and other aches and pains from before are gone, even though I have some different ones now. I have a new lease on life and am still progressing, even if it's at a snail's pace sometimes. I am totally glad about my surgery and ok with my progress. :cool: Some of us just take longer than others. ;)

JenniferG
11-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Suzie, have you had your thyroid checked? I'm sure you probably have, but I read somewhere that there are thouands of underweight and overweight people battling along out there who are undiagnosed Graves Disease or Hashimotos. (Hashimotos being the s l o w metabolism.)

It's easily treatable, so if you haven't had it checked, it might be an idea?

Just a thought.

Jen

Susie*Bee
11-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Yep, I had it checked this past year, when I was talking to my doc about it. It is fine. I did have a low one when I was a kid... maybe that set the pace for me for life. Who knows? Ha ha.

discombobulated
11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Susie,

Just in case you were referring to me complaining about not being able to gain weight - I sure hope I didn't imply that I think people who are overweight are always so because of overeating or for any other "blanket" reason. Absolutely (as you know!!) this is not the case, & I so don't believe in a single explanation for everyone. Just that I know *I* have no hope of gaining without eating more calories! My theory is, whatever the weight, HEALTHY is the goal! I am sorry if I implied something offensive in any way :) So rather than wishing you luck with losing weight, I'll just say - I hope you are fighting fit & healthy for when those gorgeous bubs come along.

By the way - bub is definitely a common term over here. I had no idea it wasn't used elsewhere! I guess we really do learn something new (& usually useless!) every day :D

Best to you.

Qikdraw
11-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Susie

Maybe cutting back on food isn't the way to go. Although you can find arguements for and against it, there is something called 'starvation mode' where when your body is not getting enough to run normally it gets more efficient, and as such you don't lose weight.

This has certainly held true while my wife has lost weight. She works out about 2 hours a day and if she doesn't get at least 2000 calories a day her weight stays there. Its only when she eats more does that weight start to come off. For a long time she was eating barely a 1000 calories a day, and not losing weight, when I finally badgered her to eat more, the weight started coming off again.

You might want to talk to your doctor about how many calories a day you should be eating. Maybe asking to see a nutritionist.

Brad

Susie*Bee
11-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Oh Dis-- I'm so sorry you thought that. No, I never thought you -- or anyone on the forum, for that matter, had inferred any such thing. Sometimes I think of people in general jumping to conclusions, so I every once in awhile explain this. As for when you and Pam were talking about ways to gain weight, I was just in awe and greeeeeeen with envy. :D Except I realize it's just as real a problem for you on the other end of the spectrum. Again, if I ate what you guys were talking about eating, I would gain 10 lbs. a week, I am positive. Just as you can't figure out what/how to alter how your body negotiates food, neither can I. It's ok. I'm mostly ok with it, but wish I could be different. And I have lost weight many times, but it just won't stay off because I cannot have any fun food then and either I give in or other circumstances (like parents' deaths, etc.) temporarily block my desire to be stringent. Does that make sense? Then it oh so easily comes back on. The older you get, the harder it is, and I may well be in a conundrum this time around with no good way out. :eek:

Even with my "plumpness" I know I a relatively healthy, eating healthily and staying as active as I can, arthritis and scoli fusion permitting. It's ok.

And I love "bubs" so I'm glad you said it. :) I will have fun with that. I just wondered if the UK people say that as well or if it is an Aussie term.

Take care. :) Susie

Susie*Bee
11-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks Brad. I have tried that. I gain weight. But I will think about that some more. I was "working out" (in my book) until I started back working-- and that didn't help. Now I am too tired to work out. It's ok. You are a dear to be concerned. I will think about it. I have talked with my doctor. He feels like I'm ok, so I should just be ok with that. There are no nutritionists in the nearby area... I'm in the boonies where there are "family doctors" unless you go farther away, which I could do, if I had the time or the energy or the desire. It's ok. Thanks.

trishthedish
11-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh, Susie, congrats on the grandbaby news! As you can tell from my blog, I looooove those grandkids. I am so thrilled for you-there is nothing like holding that little one, studying those tiny features, and realizing that you and he/she are connected-really part of the circle of life.

I hate to hear that your energy after work is zapped, but mine is, too. After an 8-10hr day at the hospital, all I want to do is lie down. I try to make the gym with hubby during the week but I am lucky if I make 2 workouts weekly. I guess we just don't recover as fast as we would if we were younger. But we'll get there, I know.

Since I had so many complications and such hell during my 2 surgeries this past spring, I have lost 25 pounds, but now I can tell the major healing is done, and I am really struggling to keep it off. I live in West Texas and for years we'd see bumper stickers on pickup trucks that said Please Lord, grant us another oil boom-I promise not to piss this one away! That's how I feel about the weight loss thing-please Lord, now that I've lost some of it-help me find whatever will keep it off!

Again, congrats on your new little ones to be-I know you can't wait to meet them!

loves to skate
11-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

This weight thing has me laughing, especially Trish's bumper sticker thing. I lost maybe 5 lbs with my surgeries and have gained it all back which really isn't a big deal, but my shape has changed. I started out with a waist of 28" and hips of 41". Now my waist is 30" and my hips are 39". How does that happen?:confused: My husband just tells me to be happy that the majority of my pain has gone away. And so I am.:) Take care. Sally

discombobulated
11-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Susie -

I'm very glad to hear that I implied nothing of the sort, because it sure wouldn't reflect what I believe (or what is true!). I do understand about often having to explain such things simply so people don't jump to wrong conclusions, though. Being a young, thin female, I often get looks (& random comments!) that say, "OMG, look at the anorexic!" & similar [for the record, I do NOT have any eating disorder - just thin!]. I am sorry if you've had ignorant people making rude comments, too. I'm glad to hear that you're health and doing well post-fusion (even if exhausted) - because THAT'S what matters. And you will now be THE COOLEST chick on the block with your newly acquired Aussie vocab ;)

Take care :)

JoAnn5
11-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Susieeeeeeeee.... "plump gramma's" have softer laps!!!! :D