Why people post to this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why people post to this forum

There appear to be several reasons why folks post. There also appear to be several categories of posts that individual people want to see.

When someone posts with intention "A" and another person reads it as intending "B," then no constructive communication is happening.

For example, I like dispassionate, fact-filled, hopefully humorous, stripped down posts that have some defensible conclusion based on stated evidence.

Other folks may want moral support on an emotional level for a surgery decision per se and not a data-rich evidence-based argument at every instant.

All expectations need to be filtered through the perspective of the person who wrote the post, something that is very hard to do sometimes.

On top of this, scoliosis is a serious condition that dogs many folks for much of their lives. They have different experiences that are all true to them. There may be wrong facts but there are no wrong emotions when it comes to this in my opinion. It is emotionally nerve-wracking and draining whether you are a patient or a parent of a patient. Stakes are high.

I have had problems with some posts on this forum. But now I try to see them as the two-way street of communication that they are. That is, the problem might be in my interpretation rather than in the post itself. But even if there is a demonstrable problem in the post itself, folks are still entitled to their own opinions (though not their own facts). Not everything will get resolved. That's just the nature of the thing.

Here's a quote I continually try to keep in mind but need to constantly work on putting into practice...

"To be hurt and to forgive is saintly, but beyond this is to understand and not be hurt at all." - the GHL
    Last edited by Pooka1; 11-05-2008, 03:31 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Mmmm that is good

Thanks for that. That is a great quote.

Comment

And of course, if all else fails, I just ask, WWTES? (What would Titanium Ed say?)

Works for me.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon

Looks great. I have no food here, and Im reaching critical mass, Ive got to go eat now, be back soon. LOL

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...