PDA

View Full Version : Numbness still hasn't gone....

LEELEE85
11-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi Guys,

I haven't wrote on here for months. I am around 18 months post op and im still having trouble with my rib pains i did have anterior surgery as well as posterior but where my rib was taken out i feel stiff and swallon there still. Also i have patches on my upper stomach where its still numb but if i scratch it i get funny pains i also get weird pains around my stomach especially where the numbness is its like muscles pulling pains or nerve pains. Just wondering is this normal to still have these pains a 1 and a half on???

I'm over feeling tight on my right side especially in the mornings i have to breath slowly as my ribs hurt :confused:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Singer
11-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Yes, I still have tightness and pulling, some numbness and mild itching in that area also. Gentle stretching helps, as well as a heating pad.

augemac
11-02-2008, 08:51 AM
LEELEE85,

Well not to discourage you in anyway but I had a 7 rib thoracoplasty done in 1999 and it took a few years to get well. 2006 was year that I felt normal from just about everything.

I am not surprised with what you are feeling. But just to be safe I would ask your dr about seeing a urologist that would be able to get you some meds that will help the nerves regrow.

Take care and hope this helps.

loves to skate
11-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I would ask your dr about seeing a urologist that would be able to get you some meds that will help the nerves regrow.

I think augemac meant Neurologist. Are there really meds that will help the nerves regrow? I would like to know about them if there are.
Sally

Singer
11-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Auge, I was actually cheered by your post because sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only people on the Forum who still has pain or discomfort (sometimes a lot) after a year and a half. The anterior incision and thorocoplasty has been a bear to recover from. Most days I push through it and am very active, but I do take Tylenol Arthritis and/or Advil every day. I also stretch and do my PT exercises, etc., etc.....you know the drill.

Also -- I can't believe how affected I am by the weather. I felt WAY better over the summer. I believe there's a move to a warm climate sometime in my future.

arizo
11-02-2008, 02:54 PM
curious people with pain on there sides, do you guys smoke?

I only ask because my doc stressed if I smoke he wouldn't do the surgery. idk if it had to do wit recovery or wateva.

augemac
11-02-2008, 10:41 PM
I think augemac meant Neurologist. Are there really meds that will help the nerves regrow? I would like to know about them if there are.
Sally

Thank you Sally I didn't even catch it but yes I meant Neurologist. That made me laugh at my own mistake. But I am thinking of a different medicine. I wasn't sure of the use but I do remember being on it from my neurologist Dr. and it was called neurontin. Now I looked it up and it helps with nerve pain. Well that helped me out.

I guess scientist are just beginning science on nerve regrowth but nothing yet and that was my mistake. Sorry:)

Arizo,
I don't smoke and haven't ever smoked. It is just a hard recovery to do. Weather is real rough though. I would constantly wear gloves on my right hand all day even in the house or at night to keep it warm. Any bit of cold or drop in temperature and I would regret it.:o

LindaRacine
11-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Arizo...

It's doubtful that any of the pain described above has anything to do with smoking.

Most surgeons will not perform spinal fusion surgery on anyone who smokes, because smoking is known to inhibit fusion.

Regards,
Linda

Singer
11-03-2008, 06:26 AM
No smoking here!! In fact, in terms of ideal weight, walking every day, eating healthy, etc.....I've never been in better shape in my life.

Suzy
11-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Lee,

I can't comment on the pain but I can on the numbness. I am 2yr 8 mo post-op and the numbness is still with me. I have gotten use to it. I have a slight feeling, if I run my nails over the numb skin, that is a tingly sensation.
Best wishes.