Injured at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured at work

Hi as I have mentioned before I work in a classroom with children who have Autism. Yesterday, right at the end of the day I was bending over to pick up a pair of students shoes(Yes I was bending my knees and squating) so I could get her out to the bus and another student came up to me from behind and hit me full force on the center of my back, making me twist and fall.(I never even saw him coming) I am 17 months post surgery and as soon as I was hit I felt like sharp pin pricks go down my back, and burning at the base of my back. I had my daughter drive me home and I laid down for a few hours, it still hurt but now felt like it may be the muscles. Later in the evening, I went to the store with my kids and after being on my feet for an hour I needed to go home as I had very faint tingling in my feet and legs. This morning I woke up very stiff and had to force myself to stand up straight. I went to work and through out the day if I stayed in one position too long the tingling came back. I hate to run to the Dr. as the pain is very mild, but the tingling scares me. Has anyone else had the light tingling and did it go away on its own?

Thanks for the advice,
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

I hope you had this written up because any further medical checks about this should be covered under Workman's comp.
    probably nothing is wrong. I remember falling down the stairs on my back and felt the hardware "vibrating" and nothing happened to my back.
    Last edited by Karen Ocker; 10-30-2008, 07:23 PM.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I agree with Karen, that your work should be informed (just incase).

When I had my surgery in 1999, I was 7 mos post-op and I thought I was doing great went down a slide at a playground that was only 4 ft high! And as I came down at the bottom of the slide I felt a bad pain and I felt my lower back hurt. It was hard for me to straighten up! I was real concerned. Went to my Dr and he took x rays and found out I broke my tailbone real good! 4 days later I was coming down the stairs in my home and fell down right on my tailbone and i started to faint!

It is just the luck sometimes when you are trying to be careful that things happen.

I know that maybe yours was more in your lower back but it doesn't hurt to get a x ray done to make sure everything is in tack.

Take care!
      Adrienne
      1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
      1993 Rod Removal
      1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
      2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
      Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
      Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Working...
      X