Hi All, short little update here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All, short little update here

my hubby has been after me to give you guys a nice long update for days now, but I've felt like I don't have the energy or time to do so properly with all the details that I'd like to include. so, instead of just putting it off, I decided to just post a little!! Today is 2 weeks from surgery.

I am doing GREAT. Came home on day 6 (pooped on day 5, YEAH!!!!). That ride home in the car for 1.5 hours from NY to NJ was excruciating (sp?) LOL. Felt every bump on the road, and believe me, NYC sure has their fare share of pot holes. My parents are here for 2 months or so and I've been letting them wait on me and do everything in the house. I started walking the first day home like I was ordered, and 3 days ago, I did 2 MILES! Not all in one shot though. The circle we live on is .5 miles, so I do a few at a time, and never by myself.

I think last night was the best night's sleep so far. We were in the city yesterday to have the dressings removed and they say my scar looks great. For a week or so I was on an antibiotic for a UTI, and had to wake up round the clock for meds, but since I don't have to do that anymore, I just take the pain meds when I do wake up. Last night I think I slept 5 hours straight which is a record.

I'm also happy to report that I NEVER had to have anyone help me wipe my butt. That WAS one of my biggest fears. A nurse told us about a product called 'Bottom Buddy' which is a great wiping tool. I affectionately call it 'Butt Buddy'. http://www.caregiverproducts.com/sit...oduct/CKE92008 I'm totally off the stool softeners as my mom has me on a diet including prune juice and stewed prunes, along with my fav Go Lean high fiber cereal.

My private nurse in the hospital was an angel, and I"m trying to fix her up with a friend. We 'bonded.'

Sorry that I took so long to post. I've also been going through bills, paperwork, etc that piled up since I had surgery. Hubby is doing so much other stuff I want to help anyway I can. Although it's funny, was helping 9 year old daughter with multiplication/division facts last week, writing her flash cards. It was 45 minutes after I had taken meds, I decided I needed to stop because I FORGOT my facts. BWHAAHAAA

I will get xrays when I visit the doctor in one month. Yesterday was just a nurse practitioner visit to have the dressings removed, etc.

Thanks for all your encouragement, without you all I probably would have chickened out.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

By the way, my husband totally LOVES you guys. He read up on some posts while I was out of it and before the surgery as well. He can't believe all the valuable info that I was able to get here. He's right, you guys are the BEST.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

It is so nice to hear from you Debbe. I'm so glad you are doing great. I so remember those bumps and pot holes in the road. I made good use of the hand grips whenever my hubby took me for a ride in the car. You take care and get yourself plenty of rest. Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Debbei--

Thanks so much for your update. As a mother with a son facing surgery in two weeks, it felt so good to read about your progress and smile at your excellent sense of humor--a relief, actually. I only hope I can be that upbeat for my son. You really are an inspiration.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Hi Debbei,

I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing. And, yes, a sense of humor comes in handy - not just in dealing with surgery but in dealing with life :-)

Sounds like you are doing great and as Mary Ellen said, that will be a help and an inspiration to anyone who is facing surgery or whose child is.

My best wishes for a continued speedy and uneventful surgery.

Oh, and as far as having your family wait on you - milk it for all you can - LOL! (Lord knows you're entitled after what you've been through )
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Gooooooooo, Debbe!

LMAO at the multiplication flashcards!!

Keep up the good work ;-).

Hugs,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

NYC street potholes

Debbe,

Congrats on your recovery and best wishes for smooth rides in the future.

Where I live, the potholes are never fixed unless some politico lives on the block, which, unfortunately, is not the case for me. My helper drove an SUV, which was on a truck chassis, and every time we headed North from my house, I would scream in pain even while I was gritting my teeth, and sitting on a big pillow, as we rode over several too-high street patches followed by one gigantic hole in the surface. EVENTUALLY I didn't even notice them (yes, almost a year later,they are still not repaired) - especially as I began to ride, then drive, in my own car, which is kind of low to the ground and at first was hard to enter & exit, but now I don't even think about any of it. Point is: everything will continue to get better!

Keep up the good work, but remember to not look too strong when your parents and other helpers are around, lest they conclude you don't need them any longer!
              As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Good to hear, Deb. I knew you would have a great attitude about this when it was over. You are so right about the terrific group here. It makes all the difference in the world to have a group that truly understands. I love the fact that you who are further out still post. It let's us know that it will all get better with time and that "this too shall pass" really has meaning. I am starting to dread my second surgery but just have to "bite the bullet" and get it over with.
                Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                Age 54
                T10 to Sacrum
                Curve 65 degrees
                Very straight now!!!

Comment

YAY, Debbe! I'm so glad to hear from you. I'll check out the "butt buddy;" that's one of my things too--would like to be able to do that for myself.

I've been going round and round with insurance and the surgeon--first scheduled at St. Anthony's, then found out that they weren't on my insurance, in spite of what they had told me! So now I have to have it at Lutheran, where my surgeon rarely operates, and they don't have as state-of-the-art equipment. They think they can do it Nov 17th (instead of 13th), but not sure. We really need an overhaul on the health insurance system in this country!

Sorry to get off on my own tangent. I am just so glad that you're doing well and still joking. That's wonderful news.
                  Lisa MS
                  age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
                  Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
                  Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
                  Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

Debbe,

It's FABULOUS to "hear" an update on you..and you're doing so well, too!

The bumps will definitely only get better from here on out...ok, maybe the *bumps* won't get better, but your back sure will

One of our main roads frequently has small cave-ins (= big potholes) because the geniuses who originally built it couldn't be bothered either to re-route the stream that runs under the road, or else to build the road with quality products so it wouldn't just collapse from the water under it. Needless to say, that was always one of my favourite post-op roads

Anyhow, take good care & rest up well. Congrats on the 5hrs straight of sleep!! I'm glad you've got some great help there.

Keep us posted when you feel up to it

Comment

There you are. 5 hrs sleep at 2 weeks you are doing good. Do they still have the 2 foot tall man hole cover mounds in the city? We used to get air off of those.

The wiping of the rear is definitly a major concern. Major for a guy........... One of the ladys at the hospital ordered one of the tools for me and guess what? It never made it to my house! That was a little too complicated for me to deal with and with a little effort, I figured it out, lefty of course! LOL No problemo.

Keep your little notebook of times that you take your meds, what you eat, sleep, and bowell records. I found out that castor oil works well just in case. Remember the smoothies, they help sooth the throat.

Janet is right about looking too strong you know, milk it for all its worth, what the hell. you deserve it!

I still have my friends giving me 5 pillows when I go visit them at their house, they open and hold doors, you know that kind of stuff. bring the Cadillac, yes I need the front seat, what do you think! jeese? Can I cook you dinner? Oh that would be great,
                      whats for dessert? If you laugh, roll right into a moan immediatly.

As you get better, you will need to fake it! Now be careful with biting your cheek, Im almost ready for oral surgery at 9 months.

Follow my advice, and things will be just rosie. Dont show this to anybody, you will ruin it for all of us. If you dont have scoliosis, you have no right to be reading this, its none of your business.

keep smiling, it gets better

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

It's good to hear from you Debbe. Your sense of humour intact, and making great progress! That's so good to have your parents there for two months, I agree with others, make the most of it. Glad the butt-wiping didn't prove too great a problem. That is one of my greatest fears as well.

Hope to hear from you again when you're up to it. Take care!

Jen
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

oh Debbe I was soooo pleased to read how well you are doing and at just 2 weeks too! You have inspired me (at 8 weeks post op) to remain positive and optimistic for the future. I too have been sat doing maths homework with my 8yr old - gets the old braincells working again!

Good to hear you have great family support - I could not have got through this without the support of my husband, kids, family and friends who have all been fab.

Ed = you do make me laugh!

Wishing you all the best for a great recovery Debbe - I hope it continues to go well you have such an amazing outlook I am sure things will go plain sailing.

Take care and rest lots - your body is doing some incredible healing!

Louisse
                          Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Congratulations on your great recovery so far, Debbe! Your attitude is so positive and upbeat, I know you'll continue to do well!

Connie
                            57 yr. old female

50 degree and 73 degree curves
                            90 degree rotation

Comment

Way to go, Debbe!! We are so proud of you. Thanks for taking the time and effort to let us know how things are going. I remember relying on my elbows a LOT when riding at first. In fact, i think i developed pretty strong shoulders from trying to hold myself up mostly on my arms to relieve the pain from the traffic wobbles.

ED.......you had me rolling!!! hahaha.... Love that post!

Thank heavens we have a group like this!!!

JoAnn

Comment

Working...
                              X