• Show
Clear All

• Post-op Immobilization Not Needed with Newer Instrumentation

Here is a great pediatric chapter:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/...3/fulltext.pdf

Takes a minute to download but some key points:

Kids are different than adults
    Post-op immobilization is not needed with the newer hardware

Scroll down to page 240 where it talks about Scoliosis.

**NOTE there is some graphic content for those who are young and/or squeamish**

Oh, shoot

Darn, the link doesn't work....I guess I was signed in at the Library at work so it opened for me...I'll try to save it in a format small enough to post here. Sorry all; it's a great one.

Comment

This is nothing new. Post-op immobilization stopped long ago because instrumentation enabled early ambulation. Post-op braces- muy surgeon told me are "reminders" not to move in th wrong way while healing as well as protecting the back from environmental jolts.

Before hardware a person had to stay in bed a year-in casts- and not walking while the fusion healed.
      That was my early experience with my original surgery.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

This is nothing new. Post-op immobilization stopped long ago because instrumentation enabled early ambulation. Post-op braces- my surgeon told me are "reminders" not to move in th wrong way while healing as well as protecting the back from environmental jolts.

Before hardware a person had to stay in bed a year-in casts-and not walking while the fusion healed.
        That was my early experience with my original surgery.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I think Karen is correct in thinking this is about post-op bracing.

Modern hardware obviates the need for bracing in the great run of kids at least as far as I know.

I can only recall one kid who was braced after surgery based on testimonials I read here.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Arno,

Nothing new.

Post-op immobilization is obsolete (has been for a while, in all but special cases) for ADULTS with thoracic fusions; it's not just a kid thing. It's mainly lumbar fusions (kids OR adults ... and no - not all in either group) that might require post-op bracing.

As Karen said, a post-op brace is more a "reminder" (i.e., don't bend that way, ya goof!).

The ribcage acts as a natural brace for thoracic only fusions. The ribcage allows VERY little bending through the thoracic area pre-op OR post-op, so a thoracic brace is superfluous.

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Okay, Good

Okay, good, cuz I can't get the darn PDF under 100 KB.....yikes!!!

Comment

Working...
              X