Staple Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staple Removal

Thought I would just start a new one for this discussion we had been having. I got my staples removed yesterday. There were 75. Taking a shower feels wonderful. I mentioned to me Dr. (my regular physician) that I just couldn't believe how well this was all going for me and that my KC Dr. was surprised also. He said it was because I am a "tough old gal" and that he hurt everytime he looked at my xrays over the years. What they will say when it is over- ha! Also- to the skating, skiing, mountain climbing, ball playing- I love to ride and be around horses. We used to breed extensively and still always have some around. I basically have had to give that up for the last 10 years. Dr. said yesterday that horses were probably out of the question now? I was face down and just made a "we'll see" noise. He laughed, knowing me.
    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
    Age 54
    T10 to Sacrum
    Curve 65 degrees
    Very straight now!!!

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
    Thought I would just start a new one for this discussion we had been having. I got my staples removed yesterday. There were 75. Taking a shower feels wonderful. I mentioned to me Dr. (my regular physician) that I just couldn't believe how well this was all going for me and that my KC Dr. was surprised also. He said it was because I am a "tough old gal" and that he hurt everytime he looked at my xrays over the years. What they will say when it is over- ha! Also- to the skating, skiing, mountain climbing, ball playing- I love to ride and be around horses. We used to breed extensively and still always have some around. I basically have had to give that up for the last 10 years. Dr. said yesterday that horses were probably out of the question now? I was face down and just made a "we'll see" noise. He laughed, knowing me.
    My daughter's surgeon said she can ride if she likes after she is off restrictions at 8 months.

She has a posterior fusion (T4-L1).
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Awesome-my daughter did after 6 weeks- we assured the Dr. she had a very well trained horse. I have been so useless to my hubby for years now and I used to do all the barn work- now, I can sure live without the barn work but to be able to hold, lead, do a little training and ride again would be heaven. I sure think I would be better off now with a stronger spine than many are! When I was doing equine drill team, my hubby would always tell me to sit up straight- that I was leaning. Ha- the lean should be gone and the posture perfect!
      Nancy Joy

Age 54
      T10 to Sacrum
      Curve 65 degrees
      Very straight now!!!

Comment

I've mentioned a few times here that I think a fusion is likely to be an advantage in dressage at least for the reason you state.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I hope you will be able to ride a horse again NancyJoy. I believe life is meant to be lived. I think we are very fortunate to live in a time where Doctors are able to fix our spines. We just have to learn to be more careful than most people and know what our limitations are. Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Just curious, what are these staples? Are they an alternative to stitches??
            45L/40T
            Surgery 25/1/2010
            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
              Yes, Jimbo ... they are an alternative to staples. I know they've been in use since at least '92 in the States (I had them with my first knee surgery), and if I'm not mistaken, I had them when my VP shunt was placed in 1979 (I'll have to check with my Mom and see if she can verify that).

They really do just look like large staples, and they remove them with something that looks pretty similar to a large staple remover - LOL. They're usually used in tandem with some type of internal suture (either dissolvable or non-dissolvable).

Sounds awful, but they're not (they *look* far more freaky than they feel ;-). It's a tad uncomfortable when they take them out, but rarely painful - and like anything else, I think if you can actually SEE them removed, the mind finds them more uncomfortable. In my experience, they aren't nearly as painful on removal as traditional external stitches: It seems your body tends to grow to traditional stitches more in certain places than staples.

Hope this answers your question!

Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                As Pam stated they are an alternative to stitches, however they use staples for other things as well. I have some inside me, I was told they are 'bleeder stoppers'. They've been in there since my surgery 25 years ago. In my xray below you can see them if you look close in my right rib cage area.

I don't know if they still use them or not, or if what I remember is what they actually are for.

Brad
                Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                Still have 57 degree curve
                2 Harrington rods
                Luque method used
                Dr David Bradford
                Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                Preop xray (with brace on)
                Postop xray

Comment

Brad ... never heard the term "bleeder stoppers" for internal staples. In fact, over 20 or so surgeries, I've never had metal left inside except rods, screws, and x-braces (or just screws for knee/ankle repair) ...

I'll have to look it up and ask around. No idea how stapling could *stop* bleeding when it's a double puncture. Wire mesh ... maybe ...

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                    Brad ... never heard the term "bleeder stoppers" for internal staples. In fact, over 20 or so surgeries, I've never had metal left inside except rods, screws, and x-braces (or just screws for knee/ankle repair) ...

I'll have to look it up and ask around. No idea how stapling could *stop* bleeding when it's a double puncture. Wire mesh ... maybe ...

Pam
                    I always figured the 'staple' just pinched a vein closed. I donno. All I know is small little things that look like staples are there in my xrays. I was also told they were made of platinum. I donno if that is true or not, or if I am remembering it right, but I do tell my neighbours if they don't see me for a long time and my wife is wearing platinum jewelry to call the police.

If you can find out that would be great. One of the many questions I have remainng from my surgery.

Brad
                    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                    Still have 57 degree curve
                    2 Harrington rods
                    Luque method used
                    Dr David Bradford
                    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                    Preop xray (with brace on)
                    Postop xray

Comment

well- my experience was quite interesting- I got to look at them with a mirror before they took them out. A beautiful vertical row of metal staples- having them removed was a piece of cake. I think it was probably easier than thread as I have had some of those in the past that almost grew into the skin and were tricky to get scissors under to cut. Doc said he had trouble with one but I wasn't reacting so he just fought it till he got it! I think in the long run the scar could be much prettier~ (if there is such a thing!~) ha!
                      Nancy Joy

Age 54
                      T10 to Sacrum
                      Curve 65 degrees
                      Very straight now!!!

Comment

Nancy ... they DO leave a nice line ;-). Unfortunately, you also need the internal sutures - that I cannot handle.

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Hubby told me that all my metal staples from neck to ...gluteous cleavage (to put it politely...lol) looked like a zipper. To me the lower ones were realllllllly irritating. That's such tender skin anyway, i guess. I was glad to have them removed. The removal was just a little pinch, but it sure felt better afterwards. It had been uncomfortable to lie on my back or to sit with them in.

Comment

Interestingly, my long anterior scar, which was stapled, is barely visible at this point -- while my posterior scar, which was steri-stripped, is VERY pronounced.
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
                              ... my posterior scar, which was steri-stripped, is VERY pronounced.
                              Chris, just curious ...

Has your posterior scar always been pronounced, or has it stretched since surgery? I ask because mine has gotten wider in some places over time. Wasn't sure what you meant by "pronounced" (raised, wider, etc.).

Did they also use internal sutures with your posterior closure? If so, dissolvable or non-dissolvable?

My scar, in all likelihood, would have been horrid if they'd used dissolvable stitches on me vs. that one loooooong external stitch. I wish they'd included a photo of it with my surgical pics (and I never thought to get one - funny the pics you wish you'd taken *after*, eh?). Talk about looking like Frankenstein!

Some day I'm going to try to determine why my body reacts to monocryl stitches like it does. A medical researcher friend on here suspects my body lacks some (I believe she said) protein that is needed to break them down. Apparently it's not common because every surgeon I ever tell not to use them looks at me like I have 3 eyeballs ... and I haven't read of anyone on here who has problems with them (or perhaps they do and haven't said).

And I also have one very clean 3" wide stapled closure scar on my knee ... and one really yucky one, but that one's 100% my fault (both were from the same surgery). All I'll say is when they remove the staples, steri-strip you, and tell you not to soak the area ... well, um ... you should listen.

My back was still so numb when they took out The Stitch, I barely felt a thing. For the most part ... there were a few spots I definitely felt where they'd grown in. Then again, maybe the whole thing had grown in and I just had spots with more feeling ... who knows.

I'm still laughing at "gluteous cleavage", JoAnn - LOL! Certainly a way to put it no one could possibly find offensive ;-).

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X