PDA

View Full Version : News about Reggie!

Susie*Bee
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I got a PM from "Mrs. Str8nup"-- she wasn't sure how to post, but wanted everyone to know how he's doing. I will just cut and paste the message for you...

Reggie's Surgery went well. It took longer than expected due to some minor complications, but they worked it out. The operation it self took a little over 10 hours. Reggie was in I.C.U. for 24 hours then moved to the floor. He is doing o.k. They set him up in the bed yesterday, that went well. They will make him get up today and walk to the chair and sit for a while. He is having problems with the strength in his right leg due to all the prior surgries and illnesses he has had. The dr recomended that he goes to an inpatient rehap center when released from this hospital. So i'm not real sure when we will get to go home.

So things are going fine for Reggie. It's always so good to hear our scoli bros and sisses have gotten through the surgery ok. So thanks a bunch, Laura, for letting us know! And give our best to him. :) Susie

Nancy Joy
10-22-2008, 03:46 PM
way to go Reggie! thoughts and prayers are with you.~~~
Nancy Joy

JoAnn5
10-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Great Reggie!! You hang in there now and get all mended soon as possible. Take good care of yourself and enjoy the TLC from the nice nurses! Thanks, Laura, for keeping us informed!!

Qikdraw
10-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Great to hear! :)

Thanks for the update Susie!

Brad

loves to skate
10-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Good for you Reggie! I'm so glad you made to the other side of surgery. I will continue my prayers for you and your family. Thanks to your wife Laura for the update and thanks to Susie for posting.
Sally

JenniferG
10-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the update folks. So good to hear another success story. Hope that leg improves quickly Reggie and I look forward to further news soon.

Jen

debbei
10-23-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm glad the surgery is over and Reggie is doing better. Thanks Susie for the update!

str8nnup
10-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi everyone,
i just wanted to give you an update on reggie. He is doing good. He got out of bed yesterday and walked to the chair where he set down for awhile. He is gaining strength in his right leg and dr. Lenke said he don't see it to be a problem any more. They are going to make him get up today and walk to the door and in the morning he has to walk in the hall. He is being so strong through all of this i am so proud of him. The nurse said we should see a huge improvement in the next couple of days. I am so glad it is going so good. I will try my best to keep you posted on how he is doing. Thank all of you for your kind words. I will read your messages to him when he wakes up. Again thank all of you.

Laura

loves to skate
10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Laura,
Excellent news! Thanks. Sally

discombobulated
10-23-2008, 04:36 PM
What fantastic news!

Thanks so much, Laura, for the updates. I've been thinking of you both, hoping everything went well.

The only way from here in recovery is up :)

Take care & thanks again.

Susie*Bee
10-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes, thank you so much, Laura, for getting the latest news to us. :) It sounds like he is right on target for making good progress. Please give him my best and let him know I'm proud of him too. And don't forget to take care of yourself also-- get some rest and eat properly. You're in it for the long haul with this recovery, so taking care of yourself is important too. Hugs, Susie

sccrm08
10-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Laura, thanks for letting us know, I hope everything continues to go well.

Qikdraw
10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I'll also add a thanks to you Laura! :)

Take Susie's advice, (she's smart!!) about taking some rest and eating properly. Both of you will be better off for it.

Brad

str8nnup
10-26-2008, 06:54 PM
here are a few new pics... the first is my new "foot" for the foot drop and the others are me with PT and my new scar...Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I also got up and walked today and sat in a chair in the room for about 30 min. I will post more later. Take care all

Reggie

amae28
10-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Looks like Lenke came in a yanked out your drains at 5:30 am like he did to me!! lol... and that's about 1 of 4 memories total that I have from my entire 9 day/8 night stay at Barnes. Keep up the good work!

Susie*Bee
10-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the pics, Reggie. It looks like you are doing really well. Your scar looks about like mine did, with all the steri-strips. And nice foot! Do you have drop foot from CMT or some other reason? You have probably said, but I don't remember. Thanks for updating us. You are doing great!

JenniferG
10-27-2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks for sharing your photos Reggie. Glad you're gradually improving. Did it hurt to sit in that chair the first time? And was/is it painful to lie on your side?

Look forward to more news and pics soon!

discombobulated
10-27-2008, 05:45 AM
Looking good, Reggie :D

You'll be home & getting back to life in no time!

Take care. Thinking of you.

str8nnup
10-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Thanks for sharing your photos Reggie. Glad you're gradually improving. Did it hurt to sit in that chair the first time? And was/is it painful to lie on your side?

Look forward to more news and pics soon!

Yes to all the questions. Not to scare or anything, but it hurt bad. The more I move, the more it hurts, but thats what is is all about. Post more in a while.

Reggie

JoAnn5
10-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Bless your heart, Reggie!! Those pics brought all my memories back, too. Sure are some rough days... but you will get thru them.

Be careful walking. I thought i was being so good and walking farther than they expected me too. Then all of a sudden my strength was gone and my knees started wobbling... and i'd forgotten i still had to turn around and go all the way back!! So just start gradually!!

Hugs to u both.
JoAnn

loves to skate
10-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Reggie,
You look a whole lot better than I did so soon after surgery. I'm so glad to see you doing so well. Yes, it does hurt to sit up but is easier to eat sitting up than lying down. I remember being in tears after sitting up for about 15 minutes. Thankfully it gets easier. Take good care and thanks for the update and photos. Sally

txmarinemom
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
... Be careful walking. I thought i was being so good and walking farther than they expected me too. Then all of a sudden my strength was gone and my knees started wobbling... and i'd forgotten i still had to turn around and go all the way back!! ...

This cracked me up, JoAnn. I had the exact same issue when I started training for the 5K on my third day home ...

I had to remind myself all the time to save some energy to get back to the house! While I always carried my cell phone, I would have been mortified to have to call for a ride home with my driveway in sight ;-).

Reggie, hang in there. You're dead on about while it hurts to move, it's the best thing you can do. It will make things better. And FYI, it took me months before lying on my side was comfortable ... my shoulders hurt. At some point (I don't even recall when now) it just resolved. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Best regards,
Pam

Qikdraw
10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Looking good Reggie!

All the pain right now is definately worth it, and you will not regret it one bit! :) Seeing those pics brought back memories. :)

Brad

JenniferG
10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Reggie, I thought that look on your face was pain! <eek, ouch, yikes!>

But it's good to know the truth, always, no matter what.:)

sccrm08
10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Reggie,

You look great sitting there. They did not try to get me to sit until 48 hours after surgery and I was still in ICU. Even then they did all the work and brought in a special chair that laid flat like a bed and then they used a remote control to bring it into a sitting position. As soon as I was sitting I started to Vomit and everytime the nurse got me cleand up I did it again. Needless to say they got me back to a flat position after that.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Louisse
10-27-2008, 06:44 PM
thanks for posting the pics Reggie - boy did they bring back the memories for us all!
I wish you the strength and best for your recovery - those first few weeks are tough indeed but hang on in there.
I sat up 48 hrs after my op on the side of the bed for a few mins, and then the next day sat up long enough to eat some sunday lunch boy that was hard but I did it!
Wishing you a smooth recovery and all the best.
Louisse

Ginger W.
10-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks so much for sharing the photos, Reggie and Laura. The backside shot shows how our scars REALLY LOOK after surgery. I can't believe how mine has turned into a little line in the middle of my back. Five months of healing does remarkable things.

trishthedish
10-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Wow! You look a hell of a lot better than I did sitting in that chair! Seems I remember bawling and begging to go back to bed. I could walk for laps and laps around the nurses station, but something about bending at the waist to sit just ate my lunch. Seeing those pics does bring back the memories! Congrats for making it through to the other side. You'll be in my prayers for rapid healing.