I have my surgery date!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have my surgery date!!

I am having surgery on Dec. 31, 2008. Dr. Fredrick Piehl is my orthopedic surgeon. My curve is in my thoracic region. My curve has progressed to 50 degrees T1-T12.

Originally posted by rgibbs1030 View Post
    I am having surgery on Dec. 31, 2008.
    Hospitals are typically operating on lowered staff levels during holidays - and New Year's Eve may be more difficult on you as a patient (especially on your first post-op night).

Just something to consider ...

Best regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam is right

Hi rgibbs,

I hate to rain on your parade, but Pam is absolutely correct. (I have been an RN for 19 years). You might have a smoother hospital stay if your surgery was done on a non-holiday (after the holidays) when the hospital is operating on normal staffing levels. Also, sad but true, hospital personnel are just like everyone else and may be a little distracted by holiday plans.

Best of luck to you,
      Last edited by leahdragonfly; 10-22-2008, 04:18 PM.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I agree, my surgery was on June 30th of this year which was close to the 4th of july. needless to say the nursing staff was stretched extremely thin and getting my meds on time and getting help when i needed was rare. I second the thought of maybe looking for a date at least a week after the 1st if you can, that way the hospital will have normal staff and things will just go a lot smoother.
        aBbiE
        22 yr old F,KU college student
        Kyphoscoliosis...
        Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
        Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
        I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
        Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
        all smiles!

Comment

You will probably be going to ICU for the first 24 hours after your surgery and the ICU is usually fully staffed even on holidays. On January 2nd full staffing should be in effect on the surgical floors. Having said that, I think it would be wise to bring up this concern with you Doctor. I was concerned about originally being scheduled on a Friday and asked my Doctor if staffing was going to be a problem on the weekend and he said no. Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
            You will probably be going to ICU for the first 24 hours after your surgery and the ICU is usually fully staffed even on holidays.
            Sally,

I was only in PACU for an HOUR before I went to my regular room.

Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Pam,
              There always is an exception and I did say probably. But you woke up starving for food. Some of us are using the barf bucket when we wake up, getting transfusions,etc. I still think rgibbs1030 should consult with his or her Doctor first before changing dates. It's possible that changing dates would end up putting the surgery off a month or two if the OR is already fully booked for January or February. Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Take this for what it is worth- free thoughts. I also originally questioned the wisdom of the 31st with the Holiday. I wanted my surgery on a Monday so I wouldn't even have to deal with less staffing on weekends. And- this other is strictly monetary and might not make any difference at all but for my insurance, running across the year like that would cost me a lot more for deductables, etc. Might just be worth checking into for peace of mind. I know the idea of delaying surgery might over ride any of these issues anyway!!! Good luck! Nancy
                Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                Age 54
                T10 to Sacrum
                Curve 65 degrees
                Very straight now!!!

Comment

Working...
                X