New Member/ Surgery Oct 6th-age 49

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member/ Surgery Oct 6th-age 49

Hi There, my name is wendy, I am 49 years old and I live in , ct. I had my surgery 9 days ago. Right now I am reclining in my bed at my inpatient rehab (which has been great by the way). I was reading this forum for about 2 weeks before my operation and tried to post before this but had to wait for administration to allow me. I have my laptop with me so I guess later is better than never.

The first that Dr Bomback said to me was that he got my curve from 47 degrees (lumbar) to 7 degrees. He initially thought he would only be able to get me in the 20's which still would have been great but after he saw my bending xray he felt he would be able to get me almost perfectly straight-and he did. My upper curve is slight and he said that the lower correction has pretty much taken care of it.My correction goes from my tailbone to T10.

I have pain but it is being managed as well as can be expected. I will be in this rehab center in Bethany, Ct probably for another week and then will probably have visiting nurses come to my home. I'd like to go home sooner but I'm afraid that my 5 year old would just torture me and herself with wanting me to play. Right now I pretty much do PT and sleep! But I am coming along at a rate that the folks here are pretty amazed by. I can walk without assistance of any kind (but not for long because it hurts).....and I can basically 'do' all my self care. I was worried about all of that-how incapacitated I would be and actually it is much less than I thought it would be but I also didn't realize how careful I had to be in so many ways. I have to be so careful and I have trouble getting comfortable at night. I have major nightsweats because of the meds. The nurses say this is normal.
    I can't wait to hear about how others are doing. I know that there were a few whose surgery dates were in a few days of mine.

wendy
    surgery oct 6,2008
    lumbar curve corrected from 47 to 7 degrees
    currently inpatient rehab and doing great.
    wendy from Ct
    surgery Oct 6th 2008
    50 degree lumbar curve
    corrected to zero

Hi Wendy,
    Welcome! Wow, you are so fortunate to get such a good correction. I wish I had know about my scoliosis when I was young enough to get a good correction. I still consider myself fortunate that my Doctor was able to separate my vertebrae enough so that my sciatic pain is gone. So what if I am 2 inches shorter than I used to be. 5'7" is still a good height. At least, I have my life back and my Dr. said I could go back to my favorite sport of rollerskating. That is more than a 68 year old should expect. Keep us posted on you recovery. I hope that it will continue to go smoothly and you will soon be home playing quiet games with your 5 year old. Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Wendy!

It sounds like you are doing super great! We're so glad to have you on the forum-- and I could tell by your other post (Debbe's thread) that you have a fun sense of humor.

Yikes! You will have your hands full once you get home, trying to control yourself and your five-year old from having you do too much. I'll bet she'll understand pretty quickly and want to be mommy's little helper. Just try to keep reminding yourself that if you take care of yourself now, then you'll be in better shape sooner for doing more.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted on how you're doing. PT and sleeping are both really important for you. It sounds like the rest is pretty normal. Let them know if the pain is too much. There's a fine line where you have enough pain meds so that you can do your walking and other activity they want you to do, and yet not be too doped up so that you're "out of it"...

That's wonderful correction that your surgeon was able to get. You must feel fantastic about that!

I'm impressed that you have your laptop and are even feeling up to posting. That speaks tons for how well you're doing! Take care! Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Wendy, I hope you'll keep up with your recovery reports for all of us on "this" side of surgery. Mine will be from T5 to Sacrum so I'm particularly interested in those fused to the sacrum.

Once over on "that" side, I hope to do my bit to "inform" those still waiting. In the meantime I'm all questions and ears.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

HI Wendy!~
          Sounds like you and I are following about the same recovery. I am the T10 to Sacrum also. I am using so many muscles in my pelvis now to get up and down etc. that I feel like I have been riding a horse. Not a bad feeling- just means I can finally get some exercise!!!! Don't you love it when we are doing so much better than any of the hospital personel, etc. can believe? Small reward for all the previous suffering~ha! My son said today, he and his dad were right. When I figured out how well I was doing they will have to be behind me slowing me down like you would a child_ LOL would rather have that then them prodding me to go for walks, etc. Best wishes to you each day- My next milestone will be being able to take a shower next Friday after my staples come out. I am really looking forward to that!

Nanc
          Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
          Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
          Age 54
          T10 to Sacrum
          Curve 65 degrees
          Very straight now!!!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Wendy! Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
            My next milestone will be being able to take a shower next Friday after my staples come out. I am really looking forward to that!
            Wait... You can have your staples removed?

Brad
            Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
            Still have 57 degree curve
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
            Preop xray (with brace on)
            Postop xray

Comment

That's what they told me. They set an appointment with my regular Dr. here rather than having me come back to KC (3 hrs). I thought that was terrific and I'll let you know how that goes. I was a little surprised that #1- I have staples, rather than stiches, and #2 that they have to be removed. Not a surgery pro or anything- just thought everything disolved into the body today- LOL.
              Nancy Joy

Age 54
              T10 to Sacrum
              Curve 65 degrees
              Very straight now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
                That's what they told me. They set an appointment with my regular Dr. here rather than having me come back to KC (3 hrs). I thought that was terrific and I'll let you know how that goes. I was a little surprised that #1- I have staples, rather than stiches, and #2 that they have to be removed. Not a surgery pro or anything- just thought everything disolved into the body today- LOL.
                Ahhh... You have staples and not stiches... That makes sense now. lol I still have staples inside of me, I think they called them 'bleeder stoppers', but then I am going off a 25 year memory so it may be faulty. In my postop xray you can still see them in my right rib area. (not very well cause the picture is small)

I wondered how they would remove those without more surgery. lol

Brad
                Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                Still have 57 degree curve
                2 Harrington rods
                Luque method used
                Dr David Bradford
                Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                Preop xray (with brace on)
                Postop xray

Comment

Hi Wendy and Nancy Joy, so glad to hear you are both doing well. Nancy, I had staples all along my long anterior incision and the doc actually plucked them out with what looked like an ordinary staple remover while I was in rehab about 15 days post surgery. I was scared to death before he did it but it really didn't hurt. Of course, I was drugged to the gills at the time...
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Incision closure methods ...

Funny ... I never knew some of you (like you, Chris) had staples.

I had one long regular 18-19" stitch ... like *old school* stitching - LOL!

Hanson normally uses monocryl (the dissolvable stitches that look like fishing line), but I learned long ago (and several surgeries ago) my body won't dissolve them. It either spits the sutures out, or they just stay solid. I recall when I had my tubes tied (laproscopically) at 21 years old and finding it humorous when I could floss the stitch back and forth ... it literally didn't degrade at all, but I didn't connect it anything other than a fluke.

Later surgeries (breast augmentation and a mole removal ... both done by a plastic surgeon - and monocryl sutures ARE used more for "aesthestically pleasing" closures) proved I had a *serious* issues with the stuff. I now make sure the reaction is noted all over my chart with any doctor.

I had staples with my 3 knee surgeries and had no problems (and, no, Chris ... they don't hurt coming out ... just odd ;-).

Hanson used internal PDS stitches (the blue ones, non-dissolvable) along with the long old school external stitch.

Guess what? My body is trying to spit them in 4 places near my incision. I had one trimmed at ±4 weeks, and the same stitch is working out. You can see little blue dots where they've finally come through the skin, but they're too short to grab. If I really want them out, it's back to day surgery. Bleck.

The only one that really ever annoys me is riiiiiiight on top of the lumbar attachment, and it I lean back in a seat at a certain angle I get an electric type shock. People look at you funny when you yelp in public for no apparent reason ...

A tip for anyone who has a stitch trying to spit (monocryl or PDS) ... use a backbrush and a scrub - or even just a wash - that contains salicylic acid (most acne washes do). It causes the skin to shed upper dead layers that could be keeping the stitch trapped.

Once it comes through, and is long enough to grab, you can easily have someone clip them at home with sterilized tweezers and scissors. The trick is to push down on either side of the stitch as they tweeze it, and trim. Voila! It drops back under the skin ...

Regards,
                    Pam
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

staples v. stitches

I assume I had all kinds of dissolving interior stitches, and probably for the "smaller" anterior and iliac crest exterior incisions as well. My posterior incision - approx T1 to L3 - had staples. On day 15, before being discharged to rehab, a nurse removed them all - several dozen - with some kind of device - probably, as Chris said, - that looked like an ordinary staple remover.

It did not hurt at all; I asked the nurse if she thought it would be a good idea for me to look at them after they were removed (the control freak in me always needs to know what is going on) but the nurse said that that was not a good idea (she probably thought I would throw up or pass out at the sight of them).

Far far worse than the staple removal was, for my stomach surgery 10 weeks later, the insertion of a narrow tube containing a collapsible stainless steel filter via the jugular vein and into the inferior vena cava; the filter was placed in the IVC to trap blood clots. I was totally concious and could feel the physician inserting what seemed like a garden hose into my neck. And later, twice they attempted to remove the filter, again by stuffing a tube thru the jugular and into the vena cava. None of this was painful - they must have numbed the insertion area - but it was freakin' weird. The filter remains in my IVC, and shall remain there; it shows up on x-rays but neither it nor the spinal instrumentation has caused any problems going thru airport security.
                      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Well, I have to laugh at how we now know "all you ever needed to know about staple removing". I just LOVE this forum. Brad, I sure hope I am not encountering what yours would be!!! I can see how that caused a major stroke out! So great to have a group that can relate exactly to each others challenges!!!
                        Nancy Joy

Age 54
                        T10 to Sacrum
                        Curve 65 degrees
                        Very straight now!!!

Comment

My doctor yesterday told me that I have a near perfect correction. i am beyond excited! I have attached the pic of the before and afters. He said I am the first adult with whom he has been able As of today I am off oxcontin...so gross....night sweats....crazy thoughts...I am still on diladud and valium for now. I have been feeling better every day. I am still at the inpatient PT but should be going home on Friday. I will have visiting nurses come to the house. I can't wait-I miss being with my family-especially my 5 year old. I have a lot of pictures of my surgery experience. Once I put it in my web album I will put it here so everyone who is going to do this can see that is doesn't have to be scary. Even after 16 days I feel like this has been the best thing I have ever done and would do it again tomorrow. Having the best team is the answer. Please check out my attached xrays!

wendy
                          age 49
                          surgery Oct 6th 2008
                          lumbar curve 47 degrees corrected to less than 3 degrees
                          wendy from Ct
                          surgery Oct 6th 2008
                          50 degree lumbar curve
                          corrected to zero

Comment

Congratulations Wendy on such a successful surgery and all the very best for a smooth continuation of your recovery. Thanks for sharing your pics. It really is amazing what they can do over a few short hours.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Wendy,

I also had incredible night sweats. I'd wake up completely soaked and have to change into another pair of PJs, once I was able to do such things. The sweats lasted almost three weeks.
                              Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                              May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                              Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Working...
                              X