No announcement yet.

How long for spine to fuse completely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for spine to fuse completely?

How long do your surgeons say it takes for the rods & bones to completely fuse together?
    Martha
    Mother of Laura, Age 19
    Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
    Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
    Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
    Fused T2-L2
    Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
    Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
    Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
    OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Hi Martha,
    I am not entirely sure but my understanding is approximately 12 - 18 months. They leave the rods in though, because then it means another major operation.

Lisa
    Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

When I was 60, my surgeon said "one year" and that's what happened. As a teen, my original surgery--without hardware meant a year in bed--no walking!!!
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

It also depends on factors like whether rhBMP-2 is used. Most doctors believe it has no value in adolescents, but some surgeons (Lenke, specifically) routinely use it for adolescents.

Here's another thing to ponder ... is a skeletally mature almost 18 year old (if that were the case) *technically* "adolescent"?. It's tough to say whether they'd see any benefit when they use BMP for patients in their early 20's on a fairly frequent basis. Where is that cut off line?

Anyway, in my case, the use of BMP shaved months off the 12-18 month expected time frame someone stated above.

At not quite 8-1/2 months post-op, I'm believed to be very near to, or fully fused.

Best regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam, what is BMP? I'm presuming it's a type of cement used in place of bone graft? Or do you still have the bone graft and they use BMP to make it "take" more quickly?

Thanks,
          Jen
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            Pam, what is BMP? I'm presuming it's a type of cement used in place of bone graft? Or do you still have the bone graft and they use BMP to make it "take" more quickly?
            rhBMP-2 is Recombinant Human Bone Morphenogenic Protein-2, and simply put, it turns non bone-forming cells into bone forming cells -and can hasten fusion time (even in cases of prior pseudoarthrosis and for that of smokers) dramatically. It's believed to be ineffective/less effective in adolescents by most surgeons.

It's used in spinal fusion in the form of impregnated absorable collagen sponges (ACS), and is laid over a fusion packed area (with either autograft or allograft). Anyone who has seen my surgical photos has seen them lay the sponges between the rods after placement.

Although long term studies haven't been concluded, it's generally assumed to cut fusion time by 1/2 ... or more.

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
            X