Details about the surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details about the surgery

Thanks for giving me some comfort and the push to go forward with the sugery.. I Would like to know what all happens Before, During, and after sugery. Could some of you give me all the details. That would be great.

Hi Rachel~

I do not want you to think this question is being ignored. I think possibly it is such a broad subject and each is different that it is our of our realm to answer what it would be for "you". Janet had excellent advise in her post on your other question. There is also a very good book on scoliosis surgery and ask lots of questions of your doctor and medical community.
    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
    Age 54
    T10 to Sacrum
    Curve 65 degrees
    Very straight now!!!

Comment

There's a miiiiiiiillion things I could say about surgery, so feel free to ask specific quesions so i don't write a huge essay here
      17 years old - Female - Canada
      Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
      Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
        ... There is also a very good book on scoliosis surgery ...
        BTW, the name of this book Nancy mentions is "Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient's Reference" by David K. Wolpert.

Although you can't find it in stores, it is available online from both Barnes & Noble and Amazon, and from Wolpert's own site.

I assure you, whether all or some of it ends up applicable in your case, you will learn *something*. Most importantly, it'll give you hundreds of questions when you interview surgeons.

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by rgibbs1030 View Post
          Thanks for giving me some comfort and the push to go forward with the sugery.. I Would like to know what all happens Before, During, and after sugery. Could some of you give me all the details. That would be great.
          There are actually a bunch of different types of scoliosis surgery. And each kind of surgery has practically an infinite number of ways in which it can be performed.

Here's an animation of a sort of basic posterior spine surgery with instrumentation. Although posterior scoliosis surgery is much more involved, this will give you an idea of the sorts of things that occur during surgery.

http://www.understandspinesurgery.co...tions.asp?c=1&
          Click on Lumbar Laminectomy - Instrumented

Also, you can order Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient Reference directly from the National Scoliosis Foundation:

http://www.scoliosis.org/store/books.php

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Also, you can order Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient Reference directly from the National Scoliosis Foundation:

http://www.scoliosis.org/store/books.php
            You ~can.

The other sites, however, give a potential buyer/reader excerpts and more information about the contents.

I listed the other links vs. the paltry one here for the very reason you stated: There are many types of surgery, and a newbie needs info to decide if the book suits their circumstances before they buy it.

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
              You ~can.

The other sites, however, give a potential buyer/reader excerpts and more information about the contents.

I listed the other links vs. the paltry one here for the very reason you stated: There are many types of surgery, and a newbie needs info to decide if the book suits their circumstances before they buy it.

Pam
              Or, one can choose to support the not-for-profit organization that brings us these forums.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Or, one can choose to support the not-for-profit organization that brings us these forums.
                Or, easily enough, the not-for-profit site could provide more info about the book. ;-)

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

That book is the one! At the time I wrote, I would have had to go upstairs and just wasn't "in the mood"- ha!. Linda, I went to your site for the slideshow- that is terrific! Thanks for sharing that.
                  Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                  Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                  Age 54
                  T10 to Sacrum
                  Curve 65 degrees
                  Very straight now!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X