Should i have surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i have surgery?

Hi am new here. I found this forum looking on the internet and i thought that it might do me some good talking to people going through the same thing and people who have already completed surgery.. I look forward to getting to know some of you. My name is Rachel I am 18 years old. I found out this week that i should have sugery so i am having it in Jan 2009. I was wondering if this is a good choice. I went to the doctor on 10/14/08 and that said that my curve is now at top 49 degrees and my bottom curve is at 30. I have a lot of discomfort more than anything but there is some pain. Each year i have gone back to get x-rays it can continued to increase. one year ago my doctor said if you dont need surgery we arnt going to do it and now a year later it has gotten worse and he recommend me doing the surgery. Is it a good chioce.
    Last edited by rgibbs1030; 10-17-2008, 05:27 PM. Reason: wanted to add something

Rachel,

Welcome to this forum - this is THE place to ask questions and express concerns.

I believe that having such surgery when young is far better than waiting too long, but your message suggests that learning just a few days ago, after being told last year to wait, has taken you by surprise.

I would suggest that you keep the appointment you have (you can always reschedule to a later date if need be), but in the meantime continue to "talk" with us on the forum. There are many people the same age as you who have gone thru this, and I think they will be a great resource for you.

Have you had 2nd or 3rd opinions from other spine surgeons? That may be helpful to ease your mind, and it would provide a basis for comparison.

Whatever you decide, you must be at peace with your decision. For some of us, that took a long time to reach.

Best wishes.
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Rachel

Aside from welcoming you to these forums I have nothing more to add than listen to Janet.

Brad
      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
      Still have 57 degree curve
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
      Preop xray (with brace on)
      Postop xray

Comment

Get the surgery, get it out of the way. You know it is progressing and you don't need the mental and physical pain. My curves are similar to yours and are not progressing much but I am stll getting surgery. Just make sure it is a good surgeon and you have adequate time off to recover. Good luck
        45L/40T
        Surgery 25/1/2010
        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Hey Rachel!
          Welcome to the forum!! I wish I would have had this to answer some of my questions before I had surgery. My name is Katie and I am 20 years old. I had my first surgery when I was 17 and then there were some complications so I had my second surgery this past summer (I'm 5 month post-op today). I agree with your surgeon about the surgery. Most surgeons that I've talked to have said that if your curve is worse than 45 degrees or still progressing which yours is doing both of that you should have surgery. I especially agree because of the pain that you're having. Even with my complications, I would never take back having the surgery. Once I got through the recovery, my pain level was much less than it was before surgery. Also, it gives me a peace of mind knowing that I won't have to worry about it anymore.

My concern is if you are possibly in college and looking to have the surgery in January during your winter break. In my opinion those 3 weeks are not enough time at all! I had both of my surgeries in the summer and even being as young as I was, it took me about 6-8 weeks to even feel okay to live a more normal life. And even then I was exhausted constantly. I have heard some people that have recovered quicker than that but it is not a risk that I would take if I was in college.

I'm not sure if you are even in college but I just thought I'd give you my input in case you were. Let me know if you have anymore questions for me!!!
          20 year old college student
          Pre-op: 3 curves (30-50-30 degrees)
          Spinal Fusion: T4-L1 June 2005
          Broken rod/failed fusion found Jan. 2007
          Revision surgery:May 21, 2008 - Dr Tribus @ UW Hospital in Madison (found only 2 levels fused from previous surgery)

Comment

I am in college actually I am in my second year. I graduated one year early and my insurance runs out on my 19th birthday in may and i am getting married in June so i have to get it done after this semesters classes are done. and that is the only time i could do it. I am going to take this semester off from school, though i dont want to, its the best think, i can always catch up... and im already ahead so i guess its not that bad.

Comment

Working...
            X