surgery starts 2morrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery starts 2morrow

well after debating for 3years on whether or not 2 get the surgery it happening 2morrow. well atleast the 1st part , and to say da least im not as worried as I thought id be. at 8am the doctor will be putting tubes in2 my chest to relieve pressure. wed will be my main surgery. hopefully I will be able to give day by day insite on how its going for me(if I get reception on my cell/and if I can move lol) but other then dat im good to go.

I got a psp ready to kill time and a couple a mags. im actully looking forward to rehab although I have no idea wat rehab will be like.

I also gained 15 pounds because I heard the meds they put people on make u feel like throwing up wat u eat. so just in case dnt wanna look like a stick.

ill have before and after piks .

Congratulations! I'll be thinking of you and saying prayers. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
    Age 54
    T10 to Sacrum
    Curve 65 degrees
    Very straight now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
      Congratulations! I'll be thinking of you and saying prayers. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
      Thank you very much.

anyone knoe wat i can expect when i wake up from the 8hr surgery?

Comment

anyone knoe wat i can expect when i wake up from the 8hr surgery

I don't as I'm still waiting, but I just wanted to wish you all the very best with your surgery. It's good that the nerves have eased off for you. I know you were in two minds about this surgery, but I think you've made the best decision. I hope you have plenty of support organised for recovery.
        Good luck!

Jen
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by arizo View Post
          anyone knoe wat i can expect when i wake up from the 8hr surgery?
          Well some of the girls here have talked about lions and bears playing and goats eating stuff. Most likely you'll still be drugged up pretty high.

Good luck with your surgery, and keep us updated when you get out. You sound like you have prepared pretty well for your stay, so you'll be fine.

Brad
          Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
          Still have 57 degree curve
          2 Harrington rods
          Luque method used
          Dr David Bradford
          Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
          Preop xray (with brace on)
          Postop xray

Comment

Everyone is different in how they "feel" at first- here was mine- I heard voices but felt nothing. As I got acclumated- a couple of moments- I thought- ok- I am still on earth- have they done the surgery? So, I moved a little bit. I moved both feet, the toes, legs, etc. and was thrilled to know all that worked. They had the pain medicine very adjusted for me but there is a sensation of the back being very stiff and the area fixed being very large.- not really pain. Learn to do the log rolling as it is extremely helpful. I did get moved 3 times after surgery- recovery to ICU, then to a surgical care unit and then finally to the orthepidic area (unusual to be 2 moves- they were out of beds and were moving people everywhere) and I took my same bed everywhere so I never had to do "transport" changes. That was heavenly. From then on, it did not get worse- just kept ahead of it with medicines. Now, of course, you will hurt but for me, it was a positive hurt because it means healing- not just pain I have to live with. I was very stubborn about trying to move myself around- mainly because I had a couple of nurses whose philosophy was- It will just hurt for a minute- well- alrighty then- you jump in here and experience what you just did to me "for a minute" Now, I have the scoliosis surgery book and that will describe some of the terms I have used. I really hope you have it and highly recommend it for everyone. Good luck!!
            Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
            Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
            Age 54
            T10 to Sacrum
            Curve 65 degrees
            Very straight now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              anyone knoe wat i can expect when i wake up from the 8hr surgery

I don't as I'm still waiting, but I just wanted to wish you all the very best with your surgery. It's good that the nerves have eased off for you. I know you were in two minds about this surgery, but I think you've made the best decision. I hope you have plenty of support organised for recovery.
              Good luck!

Jen

thank you very much i really apreaciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
                Well some of the girls here have talked about lions and bears playing and goats eating stuff. Most likely you'll still be drugged up pretty high.

Good luck with your surgery, and keep us updated when you get out. You sound like you have prepared pretty well for your stay, so you'll be fine.

Brad

hopefully i can keep you guys updated from the hospital.
                i am very prepared. but not prepared for laying in bed for a couple days.
                i hope everything turns up good/

Comment

arizo-- I'll be praying for you too. When I woke up from my 8 hour surgery, it was like my head slowly woke up (like sort of came into being...) but my body was pretty numb/deadened... sort of like it was there, and I was a big, motionless blob. (Brad, no comments!) Ha ha! I don't remember any fun stuff like voices or animals. I just was "through it all" and that part was great. I knew I had made it. Gradually the rest of me got feeling and movement...

Everyone is different. Just expect early recovery to be hard work, but exciting at the same time in knowing you are now on that "other side" you've been wondering about. I'll be looking for your post when you are able. Big hugs, Susie
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
                    Everyone is different in how they "feel" at first- here was mine- I heard voices but felt nothing. As I got acclumated- a couple of moments- I thought- ok- I am still on earth- have they done the surgery? So, I moved a little bit. I moved both feet, the toes, legs, etc. and was thrilled to know all that worked. They had the pain medicine very adjusted for me but there is a sensation of the back being very stiff and the area fixed being very large.- not really pain. Learn to do the log rolling as it is extremely helpful. I did get moved 3 times after surgery- recovery to ICU, then to a surgical care unit and then finally to the orthepidic area (unusual to be 2 moves- they were out of beds and were moving people everywhere) and I took my same bed everywhere so I never had to do "transport" changes. That was heavenly. From then on, it did not get worse- just kept ahead of it with medicines. Now, of course, you will hurt but for me, it was a positive hurt because it means healing- not just pain I have to live with. I was very stubborn about trying to move myself around- mainly because I had a couple of nurses whose philosophy was- It will just hurt for a minute- well- alrighty then- you jump in here and experience what you just did to me "for a minute" Now, I have the scoliosis surgery book and that will describe some of the terms I have used. I really hope you have it and highly recommend it for everyone. Good luck!!
                    thanks for the replay
                    when i first wake up im going to do the move my toes feet hands etc. im anxiouse. and its a mini vacation from my job.

ill look into the book. best wish on ur recovery.

i have to say with the sucess i read in this forum it was a big factor in my surgery.

Thanks to all/

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                      arizo-- I'll be praying for you too. When I woke up from my 8 hour surgery, it was like my head slowly woke up (like sort of came into being...) but my body was pretty numb/deadened... sort of like it was there, and I was a big, motionless blob. (Brad, no comments!) Ha ha! I don't remember any fun stuff like voices or animals. I just was "through it all" and that part was great. I knew I had made it. Gradually the rest of me got feeling and movement...

Everyone is different. Just expect early recovery to be hard work, but exciting at the same time in knowing you are now on that "other side" you've been wondering about. I'll be looking for your post when you are able. Big hugs, Susie
                      gracias
                      i hope i dont jump to conclusions if i get the numd deadened freeling and think my surgery went wrong.

im preparing my self mentally. hopefully my body is ready.

Comment

Nancy Joy, your post about those first few moments was very interesting. I certainly feel better for reading them and I hope arizo does too.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Goodluck, Arizo! Tack me onto the list of people sending best wishes your way

After the op, you'll be doped up well. Personally, after a long surgery, I slowly kinda get my head back together over a few moments enough to realise I'm probably still alive, feel just enough pain to confirm pain to confirm it, then promptly drift back into drug induced slumber

That's great that you've gained 15 pounds - but don't worry too much about nausea. The pain meds & anaesthetic make some people quite ill, but there are other drugs that work really quickly to relieve nausea/vomiting. And if they give you one & it doesn't work, or doesn't work well enough, be sure to tell your nurse, because there are a few different ones to try & they work with varying effectiveness for different people. I'm an ondanzetron gal

Anyhow, goodluck & take good care of yourself. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

Comment

update: 1st part of my surgery went well. I have a tube stuck in my chest..wed is my day now lol

Comment

Best Wishes for the rest of your surgery. Sally
                              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                              X