PDA

View Full Version : November and December 2008 surgeries

Susie*Bee
10-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Here are the ones I know of so far. Remember, you can post them on the official calendar, but this is for those of us who like to see them lumped together at a glance... If you need help using the calendar, I explained it in this post: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showpost.php?p=58636&postcount=11 If you still have questions, send me a PM.

Post any other surgeries here, or PM me with the info. :)

NOVEMBER
10th - Jenlw - Hardware removal and exploration of fusion T4-L4, posterior spinal fusion with transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-L4.
10th - Nancy Joy - anterior (2nd of two part surgery) --lower lumbars-S1 for extra stability
11th - Geish (Alicia) - partial hardware removal
11th - Jan 76 - @ Exeter Hospital, UK, w/ Mr. Daniel Chan, surgeon
13th - Sidney (13) - son of WNCmom - spinal fusion w/ Dr. Cahill, Shriner's Hospital in Philadelphia
17th - LisaMS - A/P surgeries, 8 levels w/ Dr. Doug Wong @ Lutheran Hospital in Denver.
18th - Tahlia, daughter of Kitty (Lisa) in Australia
24th - Danielle (14) (daughter of gillespie/Catherine) in Ontario, Canada

DECEMBER

8th -- Scolimich
11th - discombobulated (Michelle) - removal of L3-pelvis instrumentation, 2-3 or more osteotomies, reinstrumentation w/ Dr. G Askin @ Mater Public in Brisbane.
15th - Jesse (age 15), son of babachi (Bethany) - T2-T12 w/ Dr. Hresko @ Children's Hospital, Boston
19th - Kate - revision a/p w/ cages/discs w/ Dr. Hostin @Baylor Hospital, Plano, TX
24th - okpatton (Olivia) (age 15) - Dr Jenkins in Clackamas, Oregon @ Kaiser Permanente Sunnyside Hospital
31st - rgibbs1030 (Rachel) - w/ Dr. Fredrick Piehl

LisaMS
10-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Susie,
Mine's November 13th at St. Anthony Central in Denver.
Thanks for posting this.

Susie*Bee
10-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Just added a couple of surgeries-- gillespie's daughter (Danielle) and rgibbs1030 (Rachel)...

Geish
10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I've tried to add my date and it didn't take. I will try again after this post. I am having partial hardware removal on November 11, my birthday! Same day surgery, going home that evening barring any complications.

Susie*Bee
10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi Alicia! Yes, it will only let the original poster edit a post, so I have to add it to that thread. Anyone wanting to add/change dates and info can post it as an add-on and then I'll go back and put it in the original post. Or did you mean to the official calendar?

That's my youngest daughter's birthday too. It must be a relatively easy surgery compared to our first ones, if they are planning to send you home the same day. Wow!

Geish
10-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi Alicia! Yes, it will only let the original poster edit a post, so I have to add it to that thread. Anyone wanting to add/change dates and info can post it as an add-on and then I'll go back and put it in the original post. Or did you mean to the official calendar?

That's my youngest daughter's birthday too. It must be a relatively easy surgery compared to our first ones, if they are planning to send you home the same day. Wow!

LOL I meant to the actual calendar. And just so you know, all the cool kids have a birthday on November 11! :rolleyes: Tell your daughter Happy Birthday for me.

debbei
10-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I've tried to add my date and it didn't take. I will try again after this post. I am having partial hardware removal on November 11, my birthday! Same day surgery, going home that evening barring any complications.

Good for you Alicia, now that you have a date! Going home the same day....WOW!!

Geish
10-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Good for you Alicia, now that you have a date! Going home the same day....WOW!!
And look at you posting after a week! I am proud of you Debbe. Stay strong.

Jacque's Mom
10-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Geish - I'm sorry to hear you have to do this. What part of the rod is being removed and are you having discomfort? Take care, Lynn

Geish
10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Lynn,
I'm having one of the cross pieces removed. It's right at the bra line and the center screw on it sticks out and is causing pain. I have a bump about the size of a small marble where that screw is. They will use the same incision line and only open me up about 4-6 inches this time. Basically they go in and expose the cross piece, unscrew it from the rods and my spine and close me back up. I know that is a simplified version, but this is nothing like the last one! :D

Susie*Bee
11-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Just adding Jan 76 to the list...

LisaMS
11-07-2008, 02:32 AM
My surgery was actually moved to Lutheran Hospital--that's why the date change. Insurance issues, of course. Sigh. Thanks for keeping us up to date--it really helps me to be able to think about and pray for those who are having surgery while they are actually in surgery. How wonderful to know that others will be doing the same for me!

Kitty
11-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Hi Susie,

Thanks for including us in your list. I do remember you saying you would do so when we first logged in to the forum some weeks ago now. I appreciate you doing so, as it's good to know that people are thinking of us.

Our surgery was going to be delayed, but is now likely to go ahead, presuming our visit with the anaesthetist goes okay (see my new post about lung capacity) as we have had several setbacks with increased risks for surgery.

I am not coping as well as i'd like i guess, but i think this is something we have to do.

Lisa

Susie*Bee
11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi Olivia! I got you added. Are you having an anterior only procedure? Do you want me to add your surgery to the official calendar also? Or you can do it yourself, of course. There are some directions if you click the link at the beginning of the first post. If you have any questions, just ask-- someone will jump in and help. :) Susie

discombobulated
11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Goodluck, Olivia! The 24th is about when I should be getting out of hospital, so I'll be thinking of you going in. I'm sure your sugery will go great.

Take care :)

discombobulated
11-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi Olivia,

I've actually never heard of a surgeon waiting a few years between A/P surgeries - usually it's a few days to a couple of weeks. I could be entirely wrong, but still - you might like to ask your surgeon more about the timeline. :) Whatever the case, best of luck!!

Kate
11-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi SusieBee. My surgery will be Dec 19 at Baylor Hospital, Plano Texas by Dr Hostin. It is revision surgery needed because I am in a lot of pain due to the extra pressure the first fusion put on the lower vertebrae ( I am the one asking questions about a long fusion). It will be a/p with some cages/discs put in as well. Thank you. I tried to post it but it on the calendar but it wouldn't let me. I am pretty anxious at this point.

His office called me yesterday to "start the process" of preop w/ myelograms (which I understand are not much fun), bone scans, labs etc. So I am thinking here we go....(GULP)

Susie*Bee
12-06-2008, 07:25 AM
This kind of got buried-- and I know some of you have surgeries coming soon, but I just don't get as much time to sort through the posts for the info. Please add on here or PM me if you want your info in the first post of this thread. Thanks!

Best wishes and prayers to those of you about to have surgeries. Soon this "waiting" part will be over, you'll be straighter and and your spine will be stabilized, and you'll be on the road to recovery... Hugs, Susie

JenniferG
12-06-2008, 04:04 PM
All the very best to Michelle (Discombobulated) for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery.

I will keep the forum members updated, as I hear the news from your brother. Take care, there are many here who will be thinking of you and wishing you well!

Susie*Bee
12-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks, Jennifer. It's good to know you'll let us know how the surgery goes. Yes, Dis-- you'll be in my thoughts and prayers on Thursday.

Scolimich is tomorrow...

Susie*Bee
12-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I just added bibachi's son, Jesse, for the 15th... but don't have any details. Are there any others that anyone can think of?

babachi
12-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes, Thank you Susie*Bee.
Jesse 15, 12/15 @ Children's Hospital, Boston
Dr. Hresko
T2-T12
Bethany

Diane BCSW
12-19-2008, 10:42 PM
I couldnt find a place to start talking so grabbed onto this and hope that it isn't nothing official or can't be fixed. I've always just answered a post but if I started one, that would be pretty unusual and I wouldn't know what I was doing then either. Just wantd you all to know why I've not been around in a while. You knew about the broken pelvis; jut as soon as it started feeling just a wee bit better, then a sort spot developed in the middle of my back, like around my waistline. very bothersome. By the next day I was ready to go see my spine surgeon; they Xrayed me, and it was torn and ripped scar tissue in those areas mentioned. Nothing can be done. Bed rest, ice packs, heating pads. stay off it. I still hven't been able to return to work but can still do a few things at home.

I see Discombulated had her surgery . Good for her. I wish
her the best

Diane

Susie*Bee
12-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Diane-- I'm so sorry to hear about the new development with your complications. :eek: I am on a trip and don't very often have internet access and/or time, so I probably won't be posting much this next week. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers though. Bedrest doesn't sound like much fun right now, especially since you must be hurting as well. Keep us posted... Gentle hugs, Susie

debbei
12-21-2008, 11:52 AM
I couldnt find a place to start talking so grabbed onto this and hope that it isn't nothing official or can't be fixed. I've always just answered a post but if I started one, that would be pretty unusual and I wouldn't know what I was doing then either. Just wantd you all to know why I've not been around in a while. You knew about the broken pelvis; jut as soon as it started feeling just a wee bit better, then a sort spot developed in the middle of my back, like around my waistline. very bothersome. By the next day I was ready to go see my spine surgeon; they Xrayed me, and it was torn and ripped scar tissue in those areas mentioned. Nothing can be done. Bed rest, ice packs, heating pads. stay off it. I still hven't been able to return to work but can still do a few things at home.

I see Discombulated had her surgery . Good for her. I wish
her the best

Diane

Diane,

I'm so sorry that you have another complication. :( Hopefully the pain will stop as mysteriously as it started. You will be in my prayers.