Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here are the new measurements !!!

Hi,
    I came back home from the surgeons office today and after the xray was taken

the numbers are

25 top 15 degrees
    53 T 15
    37 L 6

...I have no restrictions to anything only extreme contact activites.....horsbackriding LOL , skiing, crazy stuff....

The doctor was so pleased with the outcome..he said he did not do a thoroplasty on me b/c he got very good correct without it ......and if he did take from the rib he would have to had to use a donor bone b/c the rib would not have been enough.....so with that explaination...i am pleased.......the numbing and swelling...he said give it time , its only been 4 weeks.....I told him I only wanted to see slight changes for improvements.....give it time.......I have to wait for the nurse practioner to get pain meds...next week....so thats the story....
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Hey Connie,

Sounds like you finally got some GREAT NEWS! I'm happy for you! I think that you're going to be back at 100% way before me. I'm still making very slow progress but steady. I am really sore this evening from my walking today. I didn't walk the last 3 days because I think I kinda pulled a muscle in my back. It felt fine today so I resumed my walking. Have you heard anyone mention anythink about flying? I was wondering if I'm going to set off the security system at the airport? Congratulations again on your good news! Theresa
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Connie...

What did he say about you leaning to one side?

Theresa...

Your spinal implants will not set off the airport metal detectors. I thought mine did (I have two separate systems), but discovered the problem was metal in my shoes.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda! We've been wondering about it. We're going to be flying in 2 weeks. Any tips? We have about a two hour flight then a two hour car drive after that. Theresa
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa...

Pillows! And, when you start getting uncomfortable, get up and stand, or lay down if you can, as soon as possible.

Happy travels!

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

pillows are a must

Theresa,

I don't know anyone who has had such extensive surgery as yourself...Your surgery was huge...different sections of the body was cut into, not just the back...so it's normal that your pain can be greater or longer than others.........Your healing seems to be on target....After I came home from the city , I callapsed and fell asleep for 2 hours...so the body knows when it needs rest....Travel with a pillow..the larger the better...It helps all car rides and even resturants.....Your trip will be great, and you'll do fine...and again congrats for your daughter....

Linda, I ask the doctor about the leaning and I told him that a PT in the hospital said one leg is longer than the other...He showed me on the xray and looked at me and said it's not uneven..also the leaning and limping is b/c of the hip graft..the pain is great and I'm compensating the weaken muscles....when I have no pain I'm walking straight....

I never saw sooo many screws before...Every vertebre has 2 screws and some hooks on top...This is such an amazing surgery...MY sister had tears in her eyes when she saw the difference in xrays crooked before and straight afterwards.....so the joke of the day....I'm all screwed up....LOL....
            CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
            fused T4 -L3
            Hip graft
            Grown 1 1/2 inches
            25/o upper T 15/o
            53/o T 15/o
            37/o L 6/o
            Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
            New York City

August 6, 2004
            Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

WOW - WTG CONNIE

Hi Connie:

WOW what a great result you have - I am so happy for you. Glad the Dr was able to answer all you quearies as well, that will set your mind at rest. It really is amazing what they are able to do isn't it? It also sounds as though you are making some real progress in your recovery - just by the way you talk now.
              I had my CAT scan on Tues so I will hear soon the results - mind you there will be no surgery in my future until I am able to get my heart trouble under control as I wouldn't be a good risk right now - I had to go to the ER yesterday morning with super high blood pressure 217/120 and a racing heart rate 135 and it was beating so hard it felt like it was going to jump out of my chest - really scary.
              I am hoping to see my cardiologist next week as the ER dr wanted me to see the on call cardiologist and after waiting for over 6 hours I finally said that was all I could take - it was soooooo uncomfortable for my back, I was in agony so I signed myself out and will take my chances. Boy sometimes I think that someone out there has it in for me.
              Anyway so glad to hear that all is good so far and that you are managing to do a few more things each day.
              Take care

Nancy
              Nancy

Comment

additude

Dear Nancy,

That was so interesting U mentioned that U can tell from my postings that I'm doing better....You can read into the words....
                I am doing better....taking less meds...but still everything is swollen,numb and painful....I have increased my activity..and than at the end of the day I'm crying and wish I didn't do so much...I am also driving more.....The doctor said to me that the surgery becomes a success when both the surgeon and the patients do their jobs....I want to get on with my life so bad...I want to do the things I was never able to do.....I hope I do not get disappointed.......
                Nancy, What happened to you at the ER.???? That was a super high BP and your heartbeat was also super high>???how did they get it lower.??....sometimes they have to shock the heart back into a rymthm...I'm sorry that U have a heart problem..It just seems one thing after another.....I praying you feel better soon..
                CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                fused T4 -L3
                Hip graft
                Grown 1 1/2 inches
                25/o upper T 15/o
                53/o T 15/o
                37/o L 6/o
                Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                New York City

August 6, 2004
                Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

additude

Dear Nancy,

That was so interesting U mentioned that U can tell from my postings that I'm doing better....You can read into the words....
                  I am doing better....taking less meds...but still everything is swollen,numb and painful....I have increased my activity..and than at the end of the day I'm crying and wish I didn't do so much...I am also driving more.....The doctor said to me that the surgery becomes a success when both the surgeon and the patients do their jobs....I want to get on with my life so bad...I want to do the things I was never able to do.....I hope I do not get disappointed.......
                  Nancy, What happened to you at the ER.???? That was a super high BP and your heartbeat was also super high>???how did they get it lower.??....sometimes they have to shock the heart back into a rymthm...I'm sorry that U have a heart problem..It just seems one thing after another.....I praying you feel better soon..
                  CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                  fused T4 -L3
                  Hip graft
                  Grown 1 1/2 inches
                  25/o upper T 15/o
                  53/o T 15/o
                  37/o L 6/o
                  Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                  New York City

August 6, 2004
                  Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

hi Connie

Hi Again:

Well apparently my problem was that I had atrial fibrilation the other night so they are going to have me wear a holter monitor for 24 hrs to see if it happens any other times. This can be controlled with meds so at least it isn't as serious as other things are. Phew finally a bit of a break.

Now remember not to over do even if you feel better - you don't want to undo all that has been done, Mom speaking lol

talk soon

Nancy
                    Nancy

Comment

HEEEYYYYYY!!!!

Hey sweetie! how did it go? i'm so excited for you and i told you it wouldnt be all that horrible, lol. Sorry i havent been on in a while, got the internet again so write me and tell me all about it ok!
                      Tara Ward

Comment

Connie & Tara

So glad to hear you guys are doing better.

Mish

Comment

Working...
                        X