Female question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female question

OK so it's in less than 2 days and what do you know? My period is here and will be at it's HEAVIEST the day of surgery. Does that matter? What do I do? ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Originally posted by debbei View Post
    OK so it's in less than 2 days and what do you know? My period is here and will be at it's HEAVIEST the day of surgery. Does that matter? What do I do? ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tell the nurses when you check in and let them handle it. Bring your own preferred supplies.

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

It's a good thing I actually know your real last name, or I would agree that it must be Murphy for sure. Probably you are just getting a little head start on things, as they say surgery triggers most people to start theirs... so it probably would have hit you anyway.

I bet you probably won't care at all after your surgery. They will take good care of you. They will probably have you using those big maternity pads, but if it's going to be a heavy time for you, that might be best anyway to begin with.

That is the one and only perk I can think of for those of us who have surgery later in life-- don't have to deal with that! Yay!

I've sure been thinking of you a lot. It's REALLY almost time now! Big hugs and love, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Yep ... and those of us on the pill solely so we don't have periods are safe too, Susie.

I think that was one of the questions I asked her before my surgery ("If I keep taking them, can I avoid this?") and no one knew.

For anyone else reading this on the low-dose pill year 'round (taking them where skip the placebo week and go straight to a new pack), yes, it does prevent post-op bleeding.

Debbe, I still say bring your own supplies. You may care, you may not. I was 100% alert the night of surgery, and I damn sure didn't feel like wearing a maternity pad. They can change what you bring just as easily ... and you'll be 1000x more comfortable.

BIG hugs,
        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Debbe

I got my period before my surgery. In the OR I told the nurse and when she gave me the gown to change into, she also gave me sometype of disposable underwear to put on. After my surgery, I no longer had my period.

Maria

Comment

Ok now this will sound really stupid, but if I'm on my STOMACH for the surgery, and I'm not having underwear on because I'll be BUCK NAKED, won't it make a mess? Or get somewhere it shouldn't? I had already planned on bringing supplies and undies, but I didn't plan on having it DURING the surgery.

Comment

Debbe,

Babe, you can't possibly be the first surgical "bleeder" Neuwirth's seen (especially since most patients are women!).

They'll figure it out and lay something underneath you, and even have someone in recovery clean you up, dress you, and tell you you didn't leak a drop in surgery.

I know you're stressed, but it's just a thing. It'll all work out.

Hugs,
              P

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Debbi,

I am sure they deal with this all the time. I would not waste the next 2 days worring about it. Enjoy your time with your family and let the nurses deal with the rest...

Best of luck,
                Patty 51 years old
                Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                Posterior T3- L4
                Pre surgery curves
                T-53degrees
                L-38degrees
                and a severe side shift to the right.
                Post surgery curves
                Less than 10 degrees
                Surgery April, 2006
                C4 - C6

Comment

It's what they get PAID for.... and it's not like you can help it anyway!! Relax.... relax.... breathe!!!!

Comment

And, no kidding, JoAnn!

Our insurance companies pay enough for this surgery, hospitals should not only have to clean up any inconvenient work we might cause, they should be required to throw in multiple compliments on our appearance with every vital sign taking, daily manicures and pedicures, a set of free dishes with every fill up AND a $500 clothing gift card for after surgery when nothing fits - LOL!

Yes, Debbe ... breathe, sugar. In with the good ... out with the not.

Love ya, sweetheart. You're going to be fine.

Pam
                    Last edited by txmarinemom; 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Believe me, you are NOT going to care about this. They'll probably give you something to relax before you're wheeled into the OR ("...now, what was that thing I was worried about??") and by the time they flip you onto your stomach you'll be out cold.

Good luck and best wishes for a smooth surgery!
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

LMAO ... I don't even remember really being on my back, much less my stomach!

I *vaguely* remember saying "I'm cold ... ", denying I was sleepy, and then (they always do it), the smarta** anesthesiologist saying "night-night!".

Debbe, if it makes you feel any better, MY surgical team got to look at a tat on my butt (it reads "Pamelicious" ... a scavenger hunt relic) the whole time. Thank you Geish for pointing that out in my surgical photos while they were up ...

"Pam! Thanks you for posting the photos. Does that say "Pamelicious"?"

And that, my friends, is how you get comments when you admit you belched constantly before surgery. Take *that*, Geish-y! LOL ...

Love to all ...

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Debbe, you sure have some luck! As (someone?) said, it probably would've happened post-op. They don't cancel surgery over it

Anyhow, just wanted to pop in & wish you the very best of luck (which you sure must've accrued by now to balance the last few weeks!). Will be thinking of you much & hoping you have a smooth recovery.

Peace to you.

Comment

Thank you all, you're so great. I know, I guess I shouldn't care and they've seen it before, but......EEEEEUUUUU ICKIEPOOO!!!

Some of your answers have me cracking up, especially the Pamalicious.

I had my hair cut and colored tonight, after all can't have Dr. N seeing gray hairs. I just have to pack tomorrow morning. We're leaving here around 5:30. A neighbor is driving us to the train station, and we're staying over night at the hospital guest house. I'll try to post tomorrow before we leave. My husband is taking the computer so maybe I can check the forum tomorrow night for some last minute moral support.

Comment

Hi Debbei,
                              You'll be in my prayers and all will go well.
                              Pam really hit the nail on the head as far as the other stuff. I got my period between my anterior an posterior surgeries...oh well. I asked hubby to bring stuff from home and don't remember having to deal with much else. Not being able to empty my bladder was more of a concern (that seemed to have shut down). Remember you are in a hospital they deal with all sorts of situations, periods are no biggy what about the maternity ward. This is all natural if they couldn't handle this kind of thing they wouldn't have this job.
                              2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                              surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                              Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                              5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                              6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                              (left open with just clear dressing)
                              6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                              3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Working...
                              X