PDA

View Full Version : Female question

debbei
10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
OK so it's in less than 2 days and what do you know? My period is here and will be at it's HEAVIEST the day of surgery. Does that matter? What do I do? ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

txmarinemom
10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
OK so it's in less than 2 days and what do you know? My period is here and will be at it's HEAVIEST the day of surgery. Does that matter? What do I do? ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell the nurses when you check in and let them handle it. Bring your own preferred supplies.

Pam

Susie*Bee
10-13-2008, 05:22 PM
It's a good thing I actually know your real last name, or I would agree that it must be Murphy for sure. :eek: Probably you are just getting a little head start on things, as they say surgery triggers most people to start theirs... so it probably would have hit you anyway.

I bet you probably won't care at all after your surgery. They will take good care of you. They will probably have you using those big maternity pads, but if it's going to be a heavy time for you, that might be best anyway to begin with.

That is the one and only perk I can think of for those of us who have surgery later in life-- don't have to deal with that! Yay! :)

I've sure been thinking of you a lot. It's REALLY almost time now! Big hugs and love, Susie

txmarinemom
10-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Yep ... and those of us on the pill solely so we don't have periods are safe too, Susie.

I think that was one of the questions I asked her before my surgery ("If I keep taking them, can I avoid this?") and no one knew.

For anyone else reading this on the low-dose pill year 'round (taking them where skip the placebo week and go straight to a new pack), yes, it does prevent post-op bleeding.

Debbe, I still say bring your own supplies. You may care, you may not. I was 100% alert the night of surgery, and I damn sure didn't feel like wearing a maternity pad. They can change what you bring just as easily ... and you'll be 1000x more comfortable.

BIG hugs,
Pam

RiRi
10-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi Debbe

I got my period before my surgery. In the OR I told the nurse and when she gave me the gown to change into, she also gave me sometype of disposable underwear to put on. After my surgery, I no longer had my period.

Maria

debbei
10-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Ok now this will sound really stupid, but if I'm on my STOMACH for the surgery, and I'm not having underwear on because I'll be BUCK NAKED, won't it make a mess? Or get somewhere it shouldn't? I had already planned on bringing supplies and undies, but I didn't plan on having it DURING the surgery.

txmarinemom
10-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Debbe,

Babe, you can't possibly be the first surgical "bleeder" Neuwirth's seen (especially since most patients are women!).

They'll figure it out and lay something underneath you, and even have someone in recovery clean you up, dress you, and tell you you didn't leak a drop in surgery.

I know you're stressed, but it's just a thing. It'll all work out.

Hugs,
P

sccrm08
10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Debbi,

I am sure they deal with this all the time. I would not waste the next 2 days worring about it. Enjoy your time with your family and let the nurses deal with the rest...

Best of luck,

JoAnn5
10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
It's what they get PAID for.... and it's not like you can help it anyway!! Relax.... relax.... breathe!!!!

txmarinemom
10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
And, no kidding, JoAnn!

Our insurance companies pay enough for this surgery, hospitals should not only have to clean up any inconvenient work we might cause, they should be required to throw in multiple compliments on our appearance with every vital sign taking, daily manicures and pedicures, a set of free dishes with every fill up AND a $500 clothing gift card for after surgery when nothing fits - LOL!

Yes, Debbe ... breathe, sugar. In with the good ... out with the not.

Love ya, sweetheart. You're going to be fine.

Pam

Singer
10-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Believe me, you are NOT going to care about this. They'll probably give you something to relax before you're wheeled into the OR ("...now, what was that thing I was worried about??") and by the time they flip you onto your stomach you'll be out cold.

Good luck and best wishes for a smooth surgery!

txmarinemom
10-13-2008, 07:56 PM
LMAO ... I don't even remember really being on my back, much less my stomach!

I *vaguely* remember saying "I'm cold ... ", denying I was sleepy, and then (they always do it), the smarta** anesthesiologist saying "night-night!".

Debbe, if it makes you feel any better, MY surgical team got to look at a tat on my butt (it reads "Pamelicious" ... a scavenger hunt relic) the whole time. Thank you Geish for pointing that out in my surgical photos while they were up ...

"Pam! Thanks you for posting the photos. Does that say "Pamelicious"?"

And that, my friends, is how you get comments when you admit you belched constantly before surgery. Take *that*, Geish-y! LOL ...

Love to all ...

Pam

discombobulated
10-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Debbe, you sure have some luck! As (someone?) said, it probably would've happened post-op. They don't cancel surgery over it :)

Anyhow, just wanted to pop in & wish you the very best of luck (which you sure must've accrued by now to balance the last few weeks!). Will be thinking of you much & hoping you have a smooth recovery.

Peace to you.

debbei
10-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Thank you all, you're so great. I know, I guess I shouldn't care and they've seen it before, but......EEEEEUUUUU ICKIEPOOO!!!

:)

Some of your answers have me cracking up, especially the Pamalicious. :D

I had my hair cut and colored tonight, after all can't have Dr. N seeing gray hairs. I just have to pack tomorrow morning. We're leaving here around 5:30. A neighbor is driving us to the train station, and we're staying over night at the hospital guest house. I'll try to post tomorrow before we leave. My husband is taking the computer so maybe I can check the forum tomorrow night for some last minute moral support.

Sharshe
10-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi Debbei,
You'll be in my prayers and all will go well.
Pam really hit the nail on the head as far as the other stuff. I got my period between my anterior an posterior surgeries...oh well. I asked hubby to bring stuff from home and don't remember having to deal with much else. Not being able to empty my bladder was more of a concern (that seemed to have shut down). Remember you are in a hospital they deal with all sorts of situations, periods are no biggy what about the maternity ward. This is all natural if they couldn't handle this kind of thing they wouldn't have this job.

JenniferG
10-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Thinking of you Debbei. How are you feeling? Soon you'll be on the other side of all this and telling us all about it.

All the best for a rapid and smooth recovery. I'll be looking out for your recovery stories!

Jen

Qikdraw
10-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Good luck Debbe! Well wishes and good thoughts your way!!

Your husband does know what to do right? We won't wait a week until we find out? :D

debbei
10-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Good luck Debbe! Well wishes and good thoughts your way!!

Your husband does know what to do right? We won't wait a week until we find out? :D

Yep he knows; he will call Ginger or Pam, whoever he can get ahold of first. I told him don't wait too long :)

discombobulated
10-14-2008, 05:31 PM
I hate all these time zone differences! Today's the 15th here, so you must be up soon (tomorrow??), I guess.

Anyhow, GOODLUCK (not that I think you'll need it ;) ), will be thinking much of you over the next few days & watching closely for news. :)

Take care.

sunnyday
10-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Debbei:
Best wishes.l Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about your surgery. I'll be thinking of you....Stephanie

txmarinemom
10-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Debbe,

Can't wait to hear good news on you tomorrow. You're gonna do fantastically, babe ... I just know it!

Hugs,
Pam

bsprings
10-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi Debbe!
I will be praying for you tomorrow! I KNOW you'll do great and will probably be back on the forum in no time, telling us how wonderful your new back looks! I can't wait to hear-keep us posted!
Cathie

augemac
10-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi Debbe,

Good Luck but I know you won't need it. Will be praying for you and the DR's. Everything will be great and you won't believe how well you did and how fast things go! Can't wait to hear from you after your surgery.

Adrienne

debbei
10-15-2008, 02:39 AM
I've probably slept all that I can. We have to be there in 2 hours, and the hospital is across the street. I've logged in so that my husband can post an update later if he wants to.

Thanks for all of the nice notes. Right this minute I'm calm, my husband says so. My husband is cracking me up. I can't wait for the happy juice. I've never taken a valium or anything like that in my life, but I probably could have used one last night.

Talk to you guys soon,

Susie*Bee
10-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Dear Debbe's hubby-- Please know that we care very much for her and I'm praying for a very successful surgery and relatively quick recovery. I know it must be really hard for you and your family as well, so you all are a part of those prayers also.

Thanks for posting when you are able. Give Debbe a gentle hug or hand squeeze from me when she's awake again and tell her I''m sending love over the miles. I know she'll do real well. :) Susie

JenniferG
10-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Thinking of you this morning (Australia) Debbei. Hoping it's over and your recovery has begun. Looking forward to news!

Jen