any advice for hip bursitis???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any advice for hip bursitis???

Well, here I am asking for advice. I'm in the midst of the time I was worried about-- book fair set-up and running, along with my normal work load at school. With the added running around I have developed (actually, worsened, because it was already there) hip bursitis and I wondered if any of you have any thoughts on how to deal with it. I can't stop doing what I'm doing, because it's my job, but are there ways to ease the discomfort? I feel like a wreck at the moment, but mostly all on my right side. Right hip (arthritis), then the bursitis is mostly on the right, and my right foot has heel fissures and other problems. Plus my back is very tired and achy. When we were getting it all set up last week (W, Th, and F) I came home and crashed after school each day and my husband fixed supper and did the dishes... and that was with other people doing the heavy work. I just had lots of running around to do along with my normal work. So I'm trying to rest when possible.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. It's not super bad or anything, but is still a pain-- ha ha.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Hi SusieBee

A few years ago, I went to a Osteopath and he adjusted my sacrum with this large leg rotational move that only Osteos do. Wow it felt good, It took like 30% of the tension out of my lower back. Anyway, I was suffering from my 9 month sciatica and he came up with his diagnosis. There were 4 things listed and one of them was "bursitis of the buttocks" So i went back to work and everybody was asking what he thought was wrong since I was barely walking and I told everybody that I "broke my ass"

I didnt know there was a bursa sac on the assatoli?

Maybe this should have been under Brads "funny scoli stories"

I had a buddy of mine who had this new radar detector that would talk to you with a computer generated voice. Every time it would read any kind of RF(radio frequency) it would say "be careful, slow down" This thing was going off all the time and I almost threw it out the window! Maybe you could use one of these in the library.

Sorry, Im no help today
    I better sign off now

Sorry about the pain
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Susie Bee,
      I've had bursitis in my hips off and on for years. The fastest way and I think most effective is just to have your regular doc inject prednisone into the hip (bursa sac). It isn't that painful, because it is numbed as the needle goes in (with lidocaine). By the morning of the next day it (pain) is gone
      SandyC
      SandyC

Comment

Ed-- you did help. I had a really good laugh! There are apparently two "hip" bursae/bursi (what is the plural?) on each side of your body-- one on the outside, sort of where your hands would hit if you had them at your side, and the other at the back of your hip/upper buttocks area.

And Sandy, thanks for the advice. I'll see how it goes this week, as I have no good chance to go to the doctor. It's good to know there's a solution available, even though it doesn't sound very pleasant to me.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Susie,
          Sorry to hear about your hip pain. SandyC's advice sounds good from what I have heard from others who have had bursitis. Can you get an after school appointment with a local Ortho Dr.? They are much better at giving Cortisone shots than Primary Care docs.
          Be well, Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your new pains Susie. I do not have any valid advice to give, well other than taking a vacation to Cancun and sitting on the beach for hours on end and drinking mudslides...

Ed, I loved the story. Had me laughing so hard!

Brad
            Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
            Still have 57 degree curve
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
            Preop xray (with brace on)
            Postop xray

Comment

scoli vacations overseas with mudslides

Brad

Actually, the vacation to Cancun sounds plausible. I dont know what a mudslide is, but I wouldnt mind finding out! ?

There have been times where I was out of the country and have been in major pain. Now if you think having pain or a medical problem is scary at home, try it in a foreign country!!! I was down in Central America last year and I seriously didnt think I was going to make it. I was in major pain and I brought the wrong drugs! Lovely huh? I actually dove on Vicoden because we were hand feeding these large groupers and I wanted video. I was on a live-aboard ship, out at sea, with scoli related pain.

Having scoliosis and being on a ship for days and days that is constantly rocking throws your muscles into overtime. After a few days, you are absolutly fried from your nervous system trying to compensate for the rocking motion. Its like how your back feels after airplane rides, shot after a few hours only this is days.

Try explaining about your scoliotic history to a Doctor in a foreign language ! Do you have insurance? yeah right!

If you go to Mexico, which I love to do for diving, and you get caught with pharmacuticals without a Mexican Doctors precription,
              you are in trouble!!!! They like to take you to jail first,then start asking questions.

Just some of the little drawbacks of having scoliosis and leaving the country. You have to be tough enough to make it back in one piece.

Like I said, I dont know what a mudslide is, but sitting on the beach and drinking them makes a lot of sense to me.

Might even work for "bursitis of the buttocks"

Ed
              Last edited by titaniumed; 10-14-2008, 12:27 AM.
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Susie,

I'm sorry you're having problems with your hip. COuld it be like you said that you just need a little more rest? Easier said than done though, right? Especially with a full time job. Are you allowed to take ibuprophen yet? Would that help?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Brad

Actually, the vacation to Cancun sounds plausible. I dont know what a mudslide is, but I wouldnt mind finding out! ?
                  http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/330/

Your wish is my command!

What we had was similair to the Ultimate Mudslide.

Just some of the little drawbacks of having scoliosis and leaving the country. You have to be tough enough to make it back in one piece.
                  Yes, I can see that. Although technically I have left my country and have scoliosis, but its not quite the same thing. I went from Canada to the US. lol

My father is a snowbird and he spends his winters in the caribbean, he's invited my wife & I a few times, but we have yet to go. I remember spending a weekend on his boat when he had it in a lake, I just slept the weekend away. Somehow on the ocean I think it would be something different. lol

Like I said, I dont know what a mudslide is, but sitting on the beach and drinking them makes a lot of sense to me.
                  Neither my wife, nor I, are big drinkers, but both of us drank a lot of these. They are VERY good!

Might even work for "bursitis of the buttocks"
                  lol Well Susie is going to have to give that a go and let us know.

Brad
                  Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                  Still have 57 degree curve
                  2 Harrington rods
                  Luque method used
                  Dr David Bradford
                  Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                  Preop xray (with brace on)
                  Postop xray

Comment

Working...
                  X