View Full Version : I have the term

arizo
10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
ok i understand i did not have the correct medical term but here it is

sheuermanns kyphosis

anyone ever have this surgery?

Snoopy
10-12-2008, 05:42 PM
My daughter doesn't have Sheurmann's Kyphosis, but she does have Kyphoscoliosis (both Kyphosis and Scoliosis) and had surgery to correct both almost four years ago.

Mary Lou

Janet
10-13-2008, 12:59 AM
I had spine surgery in Dec. 2007 to correct a thoracic curve of 100 degrees, which had been progressing rapidly over the last 10 years, as well as compensatory scoliosis that was about 35 / 25 degrees. At age 13 the hump started to develop; no medical evaluation or treatment while a teenager. At age 17, I was 5'7" (and already had the curve).

As an adult, for many years I was unsuccessful in finding a physician who would even listen to me about my concerns ("should have had it fixed when you were an adolescent" duh ! ); meanwhile I had shrunk to 5' 3 1/2" and was having stomach problems and severe pain in my hips and legs. Five years ago, I did find a spine surgeon who educated me about the disease and possible surgery to stop the curve from progressing (at that time the curve was about 85 degrees), and got a second opinion as well.

THANKS TO THIS FORUM, I learned about Dr. Boachie, in NYC. I had anterior and posterior surgery on same day, surgery was 11 hours. I am now 5' 5 3/4" and my kyphotic curve was reduced to 57 degrees; scolio curves are almost gone. I am 63 years young and my spine was very rigid from 50 years of being bent, so I am thrilled with the results. I do not have a "perfect" back, but it is so much better than before. The pain is gone, and I truly do not care about the large scars on my side and back - I consider them badges of courage.

If I had known the options years ago, I would have had the surgery then, so I suggest that if surgery is needed due to pain and/or curve progression the time to have done it is when you are young - faster recovery, better correction. I'm not suggesting surgery should be rushed into - I'd recommend consulting with at least 2 or 3 spine surgeons who've done many S-K surgeries in recent years.

I'm glad you found this forum and hope you will find here the information and support for your decision .