• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the term

ok i understand i did not have the correct medical term but here it is

sheuermanns kyphosis

anyone ever have this surgery?

My daughter doesn't have Sheurmann's Kyphosis, but she does have Kyphoscoliosis (both Kyphosis and Scoliosis) and had surgery to correct both almost four years ago.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Scheuermann's Kyphosis

I had spine surgery in Dec. 2007 to correct a thoracic curve of 100 degrees, which had been progressing rapidly over the last 10 years, as well as compensatory scoliosis that was about 35 / 25 degrees. At age 13 the hump started to develop; no medical evaluation or treatment while a teenager. At age 17, I was 5'7" (and already had the curve).

As an adult, for many years I was unsuccessful in finding a physician who would even listen to me about my concerns ("should have had it fixed when you were an adolescent" duh ! ); meanwhile I had shrunk to 5' 3 1/2" and was having stomach problems and severe pain in my hips and legs. Five years ago, I did find a spine surgeon who educated me about the disease and possible surgery to stop the curve from progressing (at that time the curve was about 85 degrees), and got a second opinion as well.

THANKS TO THIS FORUM, I learned about Dr. Boachie, in NYC. I had anterior and posterior surgery on same day, surgery was 11 hours. I am now 5' 5 3/4" and my kyphotic curve was reduced to 57 degrees; scolio curves are almost gone. I am 63 years young and my spine was very rigid from 50 years of being bent, so I am thrilled with the results. I do not have a "perfect" back, but it is so much better than before. The pain is gone, and I truly do not care about the large scars on my side and back - I consider them badges of courage.

If I had known the options years ago, I would have had the surgery then, so I suggest that if surgery is needed due to pain and/or curve progression the time to have done it is when you are young - faster recovery, better correction. I'm not suggesting surgery should be rushed into - I'd recommend consulting with at least 2 or 3 spine surgeons who've done many S-K surgeries in recent years.

I'm glad you found this forum and hope you will find here the information and support for your decision .
      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Working...
      X